Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
summit,and wrangler,
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 summit diesel and bought a new block heater cord for it. I was out in the garage trying to install it for the past hour. I have seen pictures of jeeps without air suspension and the install looks easy. Can somebody please tell me how to install this cord on my summit? I have pulled off the passenger front wheel and pulled the inner fender well and I still could not see. Please help!

·
Registered
summit,and wrangler,
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know how to gain access to the block heater on the summit model to install the cord? do i gain access through the fender well?, or under the vehicle? ive searched this forum and internet for an answer and could not find one. Only found ram trucks or normal suspension jeeps.

·
Administrator
9,281 Posts
Found this here on JG:

Don't take off the passenger side tire. After prying off the felt/fender liner - I looked around for at least thirty minutes for the infamous orange plug....nothing.

Do go from the top. I'm no body builder, but I squeezed my arms down the backside of the engine compartment (literally against the firewall to the cabin of the vehicle) on the passenger side and then reached forward until I felt a very malleable rubber. Pull, and you have just found the infamous orange plug. I then ran the cord straight down v. going through the back part of the engine compartment.

I had trouble getting the leverage needed to push the plug in with my left arm, so I took the engine cover off and put down several thick blankets, laid across the engine, and put my right arm down the back of the engine compartment - success. Zip tie and then figure out what you are going to do for an extension, b/c unless you want to leave it flopping around from under the hood, you'll need one.

I don't have any pictures, because I literally never saw what I was working with. I do recommend a long sleeve shirt if you like skin on your forearms.

·
Registered
summit,and wrangler,
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Milous. ill bet you searched a while for that lol. i do appreciate your help. So WOW is this the only way to install? I guess i will try this method tomorrow after work.

·
Administrator
9,281 Posts
Thank you Milous. ill bet you searched a while for that lol. i do appreciate your help. So WOW is this the only way to install? I guess i will try this method tomorrow after work.
Glad to help. Let me know how it works out, I'd like to add any additional info or tips the the Block Heater page @ WK2Jeeps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
how do i get to it on a summit model?
I have a 2015 summit and did it from underneath. Didn't remove the wheel (but would probably have helped), just raised the air all the way and supported with stands for safety. I recall cranking the wheel one direction and getting the cable started by hand. Used a pair of needle nose pliers for leverage to push it all the way in. I remember scraping up my arm a bit and contorting my wrist but didn't take long.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Ecodiesel
12 Posts
What kind of outside temps are you guys seeing? I am in Westchester NY and had one day when the jeep would not start but it almost manifested like the fuel gelled up (17k on fuel filters, running cold weather additive). I have since replaced the filters and it has not complained even in 0 temps. Starts from the remote.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Smee123 I'm from long island seeing similar temps to you. i read that the fuel filter need replacing at 15k. It might of been time for a change of filters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts