Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed a blackvue camera setup, with a cellink battery. Need to wire into accesory power. I really, really don't want to run a wire into the engine bay (I will if I have to)... is there *any* easy access to a switched power source near the driver seat/center console?

·
Registered
Laredo 4x4
800 Posts
There are various threads that talk about power for a dash cam. Some have taken power from the mirror but I took mine from the media console.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that switched power? I have easy access to constant 12 volt, but need a switched power source.
This isn't for the camera itself... I wired in a vico battery cut-off, and it insists on having a switched power source in addition to a constant power source.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are various threads that talk about power for a dash cam. Some have taken power from the mirror but I took mine from the media console.
ok, so I found the tech tutorial on tapping off the power in the center console... I did, and unfortunetly looks like the 2018 is a little different-- from what I can tell, looks like you tapped off the third switched wire on the three-pronged connector that goes into the cigarette lighter -- while the '18 has the same connector, only two wires... red and black.
There's one giant bundle of wires under the console, I tested every non-black wire with ignition on and off, none are switched. Well, one is, only it's 12 volts immediately on shut down, but then drops down to 3 volts.... so, no good for me.

any other thoughts? the device I'm trying to connect is for now mounted in the center console.. anything switched in that area on an '18 I can tap off?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, forget it, think I figured it out. I was looking at the wrong plug.
How the heck do you unplug that thing though?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
actually, forget it, think I figured it out. I was looking at the wrong plug.
How the heck do you unplug that thing though?
We’re you looking at the one in the center console?

You mean getting the connector of the back of the cigarette lighter under radio?
I recall that being a little non obvious. Sorry I don’t remember how I got it off.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We’re you looking at the one in the center console?

You mean getting the connector of the back of the cigarette lighter under radio?
I recall that being a little non obvious. Sorry I don’t remember how I got it off.
yeah, I misinterpreted your pic, thought you were showing the center console outlet, realized you were referring to the one in the media center (which, had I read in stead of just looked at the pics, would have realized, since you said it was in the "media center").

you provided sufficient info in your other post-- push in and up, managed to get the connector right off.. after scraping the heck out of my hand though.

Thanks for that post btw.. getting good switched and non-switched power is a pain in this truck, that's by far the easiest to tap off, and super easy to hide the wires.

Reactions: mswlogo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts