Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to order hidden winch bracket and winch for 2014 WK2 Overland with ACC and Quadra-lift Air suspension.

Choice is Rocky-Roads and Chief Products hidden winch brackets. I like each company and below lists products from each I have. Chief looks quite a bit more expensive plus need ACC and Air Susp brackets. RRO is $440, Chief with add'l brackets looks to be $650 - $675.

Does anyone have advice on which they prefer and why? Also what brand, size and synthetic or steel cable should I get?

Current mods:

RRO:
Super Rock Rails
WK2 Skid Plate Package, includes:
Front Skid plate,
Drivers side fuel plate
Passanger side Fuel plate

Chief Products:
WK2 Lower Front Guard
WK2 Tranny Prot Plate
WK2 Sump Protect. plate

Thanks

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I think you would be quite happy with the Chief Products hidden winch mount mated to the Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum. The quality, engineering, and fit of the Chief Products version is absolutely top notch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am actually in same market as OP. I think it is a great question. It seems that Chief products provides more material information then RRO. Chief also cost $200 more.

I be curious if anyone has real information pertaining to specific differences whether it be in component material, mounting, winch level, etc....

I believe DriverMods represents or sells Chief products? maybe he can throw both us a discount????

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I am actually in same market as OP. I think it is a great question. It seems that Chief products provides more material information then RRO. Chief also cost $200 more.

I be curious if anyone has real information pertaining to specific differences whether it be in component material, mounting, winch level, etc....

I believe DriverMods represents or sells Chief products? maybe he can throw both us a discount????

Check our Vendor forum here.

Right now we are packaging the Chief Products Hidden Winch Mount with the Warn Zeon 10-s Platinum winch at a discounted rate.

I actually have helped plenty of forum members with their packages.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DriverMods, thank you. Once installed does there need to be a hole in grill to engage/disengage spool or are people mounting control box to have easier access?

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DriverMods, I am having installed for me, installer would like to see directions to est. cost, how can I get copy of install instructions to show them? Any ideas on average hours it takes to install?

Also, two questions:
1. Since I have Air suspension will etxra weight interfer with Quadra-Lift Air Suspension functioning?
2. The 10-S platinum is amazing and looks to fix problem of accessing the clutch, but is this particular model overkill and would less exp model work?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
DriverMods, I am having installed for me, installer would like to see directions to est. cost, how can I get copy of install instructions to show them? Any ideas on average hours it takes to install?

Also, two questions:
1. Since I have Air suspension will etxra weight interfer with Quadra-Lift Air Suspension functioning?
2. The 10-S platinum is amazing and looks to fix problem of accessing the clutch, but is this particular model overkill and would less exp model work?
Here is a link for the installation instructions: Click

You can also find the install instructions of the Chief Products line on their website. When you get to the part you are interested in, click on the "Fitment" tab.

1. We have not had any report of any issues regarding the Quadra-Lift in regards to adding the additional weight. We're talking less than 30lbs installed.

2. The alternative winch that has been recommended by Chief Products, is the Smittybilt Gen2 X20. We have not really explored any other options, and prefer to utilize the winches that have been recommended and tested by Chief.

I hope this helps.

TBH we may have sold the last hidden winch mount today, and do not expect the next shipment for at least a month. I may have one left, but will have to take a peek in the warehouse tomorrow.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a link for the installation instructions: Click

You can also find the install instructions of the Chief Products

TBH we may have sold the last hidden winch mount today, and do not expect the next shipment for at least a month. I may have one left, but will have to take a peek in the warehouse tomorrow.
Do you have a bracket left, also need Air susp and ACC brackets?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Do you have a bracket left, also need Air susp and ACC brackets?
As I type this, we have exactly one Hidden Winch Mount left in stock. The next batch is in production, but it will be some time before we see it.

All associated brackets are in stock.

If you want it, please let me know! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 Overland w/ 3.0 Eco
297 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know the differences in measurements on both the Chief and the RRO hidden winch mounts? Basically once installed how low the tray sits, and the height available to fit a winch?

Reason I ask, I have a 2015 Overland and have already purchased a RRO winch mount kit. I installed the same kit with a warn M8000 winch on my brothers Jeep.
I have yet to install the kit on my Jeep as I was waiting to buy my winch. The winch I'm looking at is the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-s. The bolt pattern is the same but the overall dimensions of the winch are different than that of the M8000. I know for sure the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S fit on the Chief hidden winch mount but have yet to find out for sure if the winch fits on the RRO. I'm currently overseas in Italy and don't have the luxury to test fit this winch.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know the differences in measurements on both the Chief and the RRO hidden winch mounts? Basically once installed how low the tray sits, and the height available to fit a winch?

Reason I ask, I have a 2015 Overland and have already purchased a RRO winch mount kit. I installed the same kit with a warn M8000 winch on my brothers Jeep.
I have yet to install the kit on my Jeep as I was waiting to buy my winch. The winch I'm looking at is the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-s. The bolt pattern is the same but the overall dimensions of the winch are different than that of the M8000. I know for sure the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S fit on the Chief hidden winch mount but have yet to find out for sure if the winch fits on the RRO. I'm currently overseas in Italy and don't have the luxury to test fit this winch.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
In the pictures RRO fairlead looks like it straddles the bumper and lower valance, while Chiefs fairlead only exits the narrow area below grill, this seems to be a cleaner install since you are only cutting bumper not both. However, with RRO you may be able to adjust placement, I would call them.

The Chiefs is made for the Warn 10-S I do not believe RRO's is, but I would check.

I have several RRO products and they are fantastic with super customer tech help and support. I would call them to get definitive answer and it would be great if you could report answers here.

For reasons above I have chosen Chiefs even though more expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Overland w/ 3.0 Eco
297 Posts
In the pictures RRO fairlead looks like it straddles the bumper and lower valance, while Chiefs fairlead only exits the narrow area below grill, this seems to be a cleaner install since you are only cutting bumper not both. However, with RRO you may be able to adjust placement, I would call them.

The Chiefs is made for the Warn 10-S I do not believe RRO's is, but I would check.

I have several RRO products and they are fantastic with super customer tech help and support. I would call them to get definitive answer and it would be great if you could report answers here.

For reasons above I have chosen Chiefs even though more expensive.
Hey thanks for the reply. I've reached out to them and they "Can't confirm" that anything other then the M8000 would fit their winch plate.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I've reached out to them and they "Can't confirm" that anything other then the M8000 would fit their winch plate.
That is what I remember them saying but I wasn't 100% sure. When I talked about access to clutch they said need to cut access whole in grill. But with M8000 you have access problems to use it.

Chiefs is much more expensive solution ($600 bracket, $1700 10-S) but buy once cry once, as look is much cleaner with no access holes and Warn 10-S is cadillac of Winches so if you change rigs later I would guess you can take this along with you.

Once I get installed I'll see gow it looks and decide if I want to add a RRO bumber guard which I think look really nice.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chiming in a few days late here, but I wanted to give you a link to my write-up on the Chief Products Hidden Winch system. I've been running it for almost a year now without issue, and love the system as a whole. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
2180, are you the same guy posting the Halrey build on Expo portal? If so love the thread and build.

Are you running the Chiefs lower front guard without the lower front fascia, and if so any issues at higher speeds with the fascia gone?

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
2180, are you the same guy posting the Halrey build on Expo portal? If so love the thread and build.

Are you running the Chiefs lower front guard without the lower front fascia, and if so any issues at higher speeds with the fascia gone?

Thanks
If you're referring to the Halley build, then yes, That's me. Glad you're enjoying the tread. It's mimicked on here, but with much less audience response & discussion.

I'm not running the lower front guard, but it's on the list for this year's modifications. I can't yet comment on anything beyond the Hidden Winch system they offer.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,235 Posts
I have done several long trips with the Chief lower and without the fascia. The only thing I have noticed is a slight (1 to 2 mpg) drop in fuel economy.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done several long trips with the Chief lower and without the fascia. The only thing I have noticed is a slight (1 to 2 mpg) drop in fuel economy.
Thanks, I do a lot of long trips to see family so I can always put fascia back on but my normal driving I can live with 1-2 drop in mpg.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're referring to the Halley build, then yes, That's me. Glad you're enjoying the tread. It's mimicked on here, but with much less audience response & discussion.

I'm not running the lower front guard, but it's on the list for this year's modifications. I can't yet comment on anything beyond the Hidden Winch system they offer.
Cool you build is sweet, the expo portal audience in general is probably more off-road focused than here, I've been here for quite a while and just joined the expo portal, I definitely notice a difference, both very good - just a little different focus for each.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts