Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Overland. I need to replace the rear outside,on the body taillight LED's that I have in there now. It's been a while and I can't remember what they are. What are the best ones to get?

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Tail/Turn/Stop are 3157 if my memory serves correctly.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question should have said, I need to replace my 3157 led's. What is the best replacement and I need the resistor to match the led. Looking for answers from members who have had experience with them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
My question should have said, I need to replace my 3157 led's. What is the best replacement and I need the resistor to match the led. Looking for answers from members who have had experience with them. Thanks
You either need to add resistors or make a software update with something like AppcarFCA.

There are many decent 3157’s out there. Each of us is likely to have our biases based on what we bought, so your best best is to search the prior threads on this forum and do some reading. There are many existing threads on led bulbs and tons of information if you look for it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You either need to add resistors or make a software update with something like AppcarFCA.

There are many decent 3157’s out there. Each of us is likely to have our biases based on what we bought, so your best best is to search the prior threads on this forum and do some reading. There are many existing threads on led bulbs and tons of information if you look for it.
I'm lazy but thanks for taking your time to tell me that... most post talk about led's but not resistors to match the led... I don't want to go the app route...

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I'm lazy but thanks for taking your time to tell me that... most post talk about led's but not resistors to match the led... I don't want to go the app route...
LOL, it just seemed such a general question that “research” seemed the best answer.

Most resistors will be splice in type. I know VLEDS used to sell some that had tap connectors and plugged into their proprietary resistor, so those are probably the cleanest install for the type you’re going for.

This said, the challenge with the WK2 is finding a good place to mount the resistors. There really isn’t much room between the taillights and body, unlike my sons JKU, where I was able to mount resistors inside the light cavity. It’s not recommended to mount resistors to plastic, so I found it limiting.

Going with the software option isn’t difficult and would enable you to run led bulbs in other positions, without needing canbus modules or resistors in those positions.

Some led manufacturers claim their bulbs are “error free” but from what I’ve read there are mixed results.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
He has a MY12...LEDs were not "a thing" at that point so the software route isn't the same as MY14+, especially later years. MY11-13 has a completely different electrical system...it's one the major changes that came with MY14 and why other electronics, like the head units, are not backward compatible.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Resistors do not need to be "matched" to the LED bulb. They are standard universal resistors mounted inside a heat sink. Any model, any brand will work - 6 0hm, 50 watts.

You may be able to resolve the mounting space problem by allowing enough slack in the wires to be able to push the resistor through the hole in the body where the existing wires come through. At least on my '19, this leads to open space inside the fender above the wheel well (discovered when I wired lights to replace the lower reflectors). There's no problem with leaving them free hanging as long as the connections are secure enough to not come loose with a little movement.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Please post your results with those V-LEDs Tritons as I’ve been eying them myself.
FWIW, I couldn’t make the Triton fit in the rear of my 2018, so I used their other 3157. I am using the Triton switchback in my front park/turn position and they are stellar. Mine are the older V3 Triton, but the latest one is V6.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
MY12 was very finicky for stop/turn/tail and some of use were not successful using LEDs in that position, including the deAutoLED 3157s, both the old and newer designs. It is what it is...

·
Vendor
524 Posts
MY12 was very finicky for stop/turn/tail and some of use were not successful using LEDs in that position, including the deAutoLED 3157s, both the old and newer designs. It is what it is...
Sorry to hear this. NOT to pass blame but I always wonder when something like this works in these models and 1 car has that many problems if it is ground wiring or issue with voltage. It should not happen where the bulb go out. The new black pcb board model is different and held up better.

You had the new black pcb board: when did you install them and what happened? They have not had reported issues with the new model.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
It was not grounding or voltage. THAT was thoroughly checked. More than once. The vehicle just plain didn't like LEDs in that position, despite having them in every other possible position including interior and all from your firm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts