Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a QDII (Trailhawk) to make a supercharger-like whirring/whining sound under brisk or hard acceleration? The first two times I heard it, I was turning off a residential street onto a main street, and I accelerated briskly (not hard) to stay well ahead of traffic. Since I was turning, I assumed this sound was related to the transfer case compensating for the difference between the front and rear wheel speeds even though it continued after straightening up.

I now know it is not related to turning as I have heard it multiple times where no turning was involved. The longer the vehicle is driven, less likely it is to make the noise, so the temp of the components is a factor.

The worst instance was after I had driven 1.75 miles and had to come to a stop behind a car making a left turn. I took the opportunity to get on it hard when the car was out of my way. Not only did it make the whirring/whining sound, but there was a clear clicking and popping sound. Since then, I have only heard the whine and sometimes it is accompanied by the clicking. The whine/whir is constant and gets higher-pitched with increasing RPM. When there is clicking, it comes and goes. As the phrase goes, "it was cutting in and out." Power delivery seems fine though.

My 2021 Trailhawk has been experiencing this in its first 1,000 miles. With it being new to me, I initially thought the whirring might be normal to the QDII, but the clicking and popping cannot be normal. I know this isn't a Caddy or Lexus, but I can't imagine it's supposed to sound like this.

I am hoping to get some ideas before I go to the dealer in the morning. When it came to diagnosing my problematic 2017 Cherokee's issues, they were deaf. Every issue took a minimum of two service visits. And two were never solved. It's a sinking feeling wondering if I am going down the same path again.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
138 Posts
I have a 2018 trailhawk and I don't think I've experienced the sound you are describing. I know the active noise cancelation makes a lot of the engine exhaust notes sound very different compared to models without the noise cancelation; but I doubt it would act the way you described and would certainly not be temperature dependent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you oilspot. The noise cancellation feature works well at idle. I've looked at the tach numerous times to make sure the engine was running!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Doesn't matter what vehicle it is that's not normal. Have you tried popping the hood while the car is idling and have someone rev the motor a bit why you listen? Take a video/audio regarding as well for folks to hear but much like the dealer it's hard to diagnose anything especially when you're describing whining, popping and banging sounds even more weird on a vehicle with 1K miles. If it coming from the engine bay that's a lot different than say noises coming from the rear.

Have you done anything to the vehicle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't matter what vehicle it is that's not normal. Have you tried popping the hood while the car is idling and have someone rev the motor a bit why you listen? Take a video/audio regarding as well for folks to hear but much like the dealer it's hard to diagnose anything especially when you're describing whining, popping and banging sounds even more weird on a vehicle with 1K miles. If it coming from the engine bay that's a lot different than say noises coming from the rear.

Have you done anything to the vehicle?
I appreciate your help. I have a couple of videos on my phone. I will post/host the best one tonight. I also hope to get a better recording where the clicking is more prevalent. What I have now just highlights the whirring/whining. After reading your suggestion over the weekend, I totally forgot to rev it up in Park or Neutral. Since I have only heard it under load and above 3K RPM, I never thought to check it without a load. I think I am too pi$$ed to think straight.

I haven't added any mods.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are three short clips. Basically, it sounds the same in each. Whirring/whining is apparent, but the clicking wasn't heard when I recorded these.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cold powertrain driven 0.65 miles for 2-3 minutes. What is a constant whir/whine with a warmer powertrain seems to have a more scratching sound that fluctuates quickly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A little hard to hear, but I think I did. Not too many things spinning that fast to make that kind of sound. Reminds me of a fan spinning real fast with something stuck in it; it's not that of course. But since it seems to be related to engine speed..... look at all things that rpm changes with engine rpm. Serpentine belt, drive shafts, etc. Did it always do this? Maybe you drove through some brush offroad and a stick got lodged up near the driveshaft or something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts