Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
79 holden ute
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious, just been on my other favourite forum, a motorcycling one, and thought they were talking about carrying pillion passengers but it was guns, not I mind either way but quite a few riders do carry, just wondering if the Jeep community is the same? We are coming over in a couple of weeks for a six week road trip, and now I kinda got the question leaning on mind... What could happen if I accidently cut someone off who's having a bad day in the traffic?.....

· Registered
397 Posts
Here in KY a good (high) percentage of folks carry in their vehicle. Here it requires no permit if either 1) left out in the open or 2) in either the center console or glove box.

I have a CCDW permit that allows me to carry a gun concealed in 36 of the 50 states.

Yes - there is always a gun in my car.

Reactions: jefferson.oz

· Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,661 Posts
Anything can happen, but shootings due to road rage are rare. Any angry driver may cut you off in return, so keep your eyes open. More often they will flip you the bird. Most often they will shake their head and call you names under their breath.

The best advice is to not take an aggressive stance in return.

· Registered
433 Posts
Curious, just been on my other favourite forum, a motorcycling one, and thought they were talking about carrying pillion passengers but it was guns, not I mind either way but quite a few riders do carry, just wondering if the Jeep community is the same? We are coming over in a couple of weeks for a six week road trip, and now I kinda got the question leaning on mind... What could happen if I accidently cut someone off who's having a bad day in the traffic?.....
So you think your typical American is just a gun toting cowboy waiting to unload on someone for the simplest thing?

· Registered
253 Posts
If you wanna know when its going to hurt that would be when you go to the beach and see some of us lazy Americans in our bathing attire. O.O lol ok Seriously, among many other things in America you are statistically more likely to die by a fatal lightning strike, falling, being hit by a car, drowning, riding a bicycle, plane crash, electrocution, exposure to heat, stung by bees, wasps, and hornets, earthquake, fireworks discharge, bitten by dog, medical malpractice.

Yes, those things are all more likely to kill you than receiving a fatal gunshot. There are many more but these help highlight the real risk in a way that makes us understand that it would be irrational to fear meeting your end at the hands of an armed citizen.

· Registered
433 Posts
Oh, that is just great... a stressed guy and a concealed weapon. Anyone hear of George Zimmerman?
Who is the stressed guy with the concealed weapon? You also have no idea what happened between Zimmerman and Martin, unless you were there. Your using media clips and internet chat to convict Zimmerman in your mind.

· Registered
433 Posts
If you wanna know when its going to hurt that would be when you go to the beach and see some of us lazy Americans in our bathing attire. O.O lol ok Seriously, among many other things in America you are statistically more likely to die by a fatal lightning strike, falling, being hit by a car, drowning, riding a bicycle, plane crash, electrocution, exposure to heat, stung by bees, wasps, and hornets, earthquake, fireworks discharge, bitten by dog, medical malpractice.

Yes, those things are all more likely to kill you than receiving a fatal gunshot. There are many more but these help highlight the real risk in a way that makes us understand that it would be irrational to fear meeting your end at the hands of an armed citizen.
You can't convince anti gun people with facts. Great post by the way:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
SRT8
3,132 Posts
Here in KY a good (high) percentage of folks carry in their vehicle. Here it requires no permit if either 1) left out in the open or 2) in either the center console or glove box.

I have a CCDW permit that allows me to carry a gun concealed in 36 of the 50 states.

Yes - there is always a gun in my car.
Ah men.

· Registered
167 Posts
I carry in my Jeep, in my truck, on my bike. Welcome to America!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

· Premium Member
79 holden ute
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you think your typical American is just a gun toting cowboy waiting to unload on someone for the simplest thing?
No, not at all, we are leaving in two weeks for a six week road trip across a whole bunch of states, so we are kinda hoping your typical American is friendly and tolerant of lost tourists, and maybe leaves the gun toting for making someone think twice about carjacking your Jeep.....

· Registered
433 Posts
No, not at all, we are leaving in two weeks for a six week road trip across a whole bunch of states, so we are kinda hoping your typical American is friendly and tolerant of lost tourists, and maybe leaves the gun toting for making someone think twice about carjacking your Jeep.....
I think you will find most legal gun toting Americans are more concerned with protecting their families and not hoping someone cuts them off in traffic.

· Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Jefferson - your typical American is exactly that - friendly, tolerant etc. (In our experience of taking trips over there). :) :thumbsup:

You also might want to consider grabbing a few spare parts for your WK2 whilst over there if you have room. At least half the price. We brought back spare front and rear disc brake pads for our WK last trip.

Enjoy your trip. :)

· Registered
88 Posts
Having moved to Denver from UK 2 months ago my experience is that drivers here are generally more careful and less aggressive than in Europe.

As long as you signal in plenty of time and don't do anything obviously stupid, people seem happy to let you change lanes and merge on and off ramps etc.

Because of the frequency of signalised intersections in the city , and the ability to overtake in any lane nobody seems much inclined to race or try to cut anyone up as it doesnt really get you anywhere. Also sticking to the speed limit appears to be more prevalent than in UK.

I can only speak for my experience in Colorado and I hear from locals that things in the big cities are different but so far it has been nothing less than pleasurable to drive on this side of the pond!

To be honest it has never really occurred to me til I read this thread whether anyone is "carrying" or not.

· Chief Mediator
Jeep
12,071 Posts
Being in one of the tourist capitals of America I do think the average person is quite friendly and tolerant of lost tourists. Half my state is lost tourists on any given day. Tolerance levels tend to greatly diminish is areas of high tourism at rush hours though.

Have fun in the states! :)

That being said, I carry....always!:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
560 Posts
We welcome you to the states, Jefferson! Come on up and enjoy your stay and the beautiful scenery; don't worry about who may be carrying or not - 'cause you won't be able to tell, and the ones who are won't tell you. I live in one of the few states that has legalized open carry (meaning that if you have been issued a permit to carry a weapon, you may carry it either concealed or in plain view on your person). Open carry has been legal here for quite some time, but I've not yet seen anyone doing so - mainly because the individuals who are licensed to carry don't want to openly advertise to all around them they're armed. Come on up and enjoy your stay; I think you'll find most Americans to be quite friendly and hospitable!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.