Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,865 Posts
Everyone is waiting to hear how much you like yours after you get a few more miles on it. :)

---

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I think there are many possibilities and you named two. Regarding price, fully loaded you are right there with some of the German performance SUVs which will take from the potential pool of buyers. Also, even though deals are to be had, some dealers are still not budging on price or have an ADM on top of MSRP. Trackhawk buyers are very specific, willing to spend big bucks but also willing to deal with service at dealership not on par with German counterparts in general (no loaners, waiting weeks to months for parts, scheduling appointments weeks in advance, etc). Also Potential buyers need to be willing to look past minor quality issues to have the fastest SUV. Cost of driving trackhawk also a factor, OEM brakes, tires cost a lot. Cost for gas over ownership is also a factor.

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
I'd say they are on par with HC sales at this point.
Wk2 is a design that has been around for a few years as well. A new engine such as this will only push so many people to the model, which is what jeep wanted to do.

They scooped up some buyers with this engine that would not have considered a jeep before, like myself. Mission accomplished for jeep id say

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
The only thing that made me "pause" was the question of "can the beefed up all wheel drivetrain" handle all that power. The GC SRT has been around for years and the Hellcat engine has been around for a while too. So after reading how they tested the newly integrated package and based on the reliability of my previous SRT's along with the 60k mile warranty, I scratched that concern off my list.

My guess is the price is the biggest issue holding most folks back that are interested.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I can speak for myself since I am currently waiting.

--Bought my 15 SRT and still loving it.
--First model year of a vastly changed vehicle scare me.
--Making sure there are no issues similar to the 6-5 Tranny bump from the SRT that was scaring me a while back.
--I currently have the MaxCare lifetime warranty (which I believe isn't offered any longer), and I put some 'piece of mind' value having that since I drive a ton of miles every year.
--Lastly, (and many may find this silly) I don't know if I can deal with the service department of any of my local dealerships. Its a significant deterrent to spending 90k on a car and then being treated poorly every time I bring the car in.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Absolutely 100% due to price. Jeep overpriced the vehicle. From there, the price factor trickles down to other points that cause people to not buy.

I've been a longtime SRT buyer and Jeep SRT owner. I genuinely think that SRT vehicles (not necessarily FCA vehicles as a whole!) are fantastic bang-for-the-buck performance vehicles. I just recently went to look at and talk numbers on a Trackhawk, Durango SRT, and Charger Hellcat (looking to move on from Durango R/T). Currently in limbo as to what we want so we are holding off, but I can tell you the Trackhawk is OUT.

Is the Trackhawk a wonderful vehicle with ample creature comforts? Yes. Does it perform mind boggling? Absolutely. Would someone be happy driving this? For sure. Is it worth the money, awe inspiring, and stand out in a crowd? .....No.

I knew going in what the Trackhawk looked like, but then finally seeing multiple Trackhawks in person, in different colors, each time I kept saying to myself; "this is nearly identical to my 2014. Do I need to add $45k worth of debt for the engine I already had in 2 cars?"

Long story short, only way I see myself buying one now is after a year or two and massive depreciation, or if/when there is a firesale on them. On top of that, the gas mileage is atrocious and the 707HP engine is also not worth that extra cost to me. Now, the black Durango SRT with red interior or the F8 Green Hellcat Charger with black stripes we saw on the lot....those did make me go "Damn, that's pretty hot." Thus why they came into the conversation. We didn't need the Durango's 3-row anymore, but after seeing the SRT it was thrown back into consideration. The Durango SRTs aren't selling though, so be ready for a mass sell off of them in July/Aug/Sept!

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,992 Posts
Why are people not jumping all over Trackhawks is it the price tag or is it you never buy the 1st year model?
What makes you or anyone else think they arent selling? The number I see are outrageous.for a $90-100k vehicle. Name another vehicle that sells like it is.

Reactions: CLStech

·
Registered
507 Posts
I spoke to my friend that owns my local dealer as he brought up some perspectives from a dealers point of view. He is small dealer and has had 2 TH in so far. One was spoken for and the other was presented to me with a nice discount if I was in the market.

The TH is not a mass appeal vehicle. "Fast and SUV" is a niche market. Most people that can afford a Trackhawk have multiple cars and one of them will be a high performance muscle or sports car.
Its price point is high compared to a Challenger Hellcat WB that many will find more appealing that its not a SUV. Jeep needs the TH to be ultra low production to demand its entry cost. If the market is flooded with them, the depreciation will be horrific. Then there is the GC SRT that many that want a fast SUV, will buy to satisfy that bay in their garage. The SRT will nibble away at the small demographic that wants a muscle SUV. $65K for a SRT is the real bargain as it stands above most of the competition that cost twice as much.

The Trackhawk is like the Demon. You dont need to be talked into one of these unique rides. You know you want one. Period.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,992 Posts
I spoke to my friend that owns my local dealer as he brought up some perspectives from a dealers point of view.

The TH is not a mass appeal vehicle. "Fast and SUV" is a niche market. Most people that can afford a Trackhawk have multiple cars and one of them will be a high performance muscle or sports car.
Its price point is high compared to a Challenger Hellcat WB that many will find more appealing that its not a SUV. Jeep needs the TH to be ultra low production to demand its entry cost. If the market is flooded with them, the depreciation will be horrific. Then there is the GC SRT that many that want a fast SUV, will buy to satisfy that bay in their garage. The SRT will nibble away at the small demographic that wants a muscle SUV. $65K for a SRT is the real bargain as it stands above most of the competition that cost twice as much.

The Trackhawk is like the Demon. You dont need to be talked into one of these unique rides. You know you want one. Period.
Well...I know that jeep had planned to build 2500 or so and they far exceeded that in 3 months....

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,992 Posts
What do you think the real world production numbers might be for 2018?
I'd say 5000 or better. They haven't started really building exports yet. They do me some...but not full throttle. They'll be building these until Sept.

·
Registered
327 Posts
For being a rare vehicle, I've seen 2-3 in my area. 1 of them I see on a regular occasion. And I stay within my 5 mile radius 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What makes you or anyone else think they arent selling? The number I see are outrageous.for a $90-100k vehicle. Name another vehicle that sells like it is.
The market I live in and the experience of past SRT/Ford SVT/Z06/Tesla releases.

The east coast sector from Richmond, VA to Boston, MA is a leading indicator of car sales for the country next to TX, FL, and the CA west coast. There are 10's of millions of people who live in this sector which includes many of the highest income areas in our country. There are 100's of Trackhawks available in this I-95 corridor area and into middle PA. All different colors and specs to choose from. Many of which can be had for invoice or lower so long as you walk up and make the deal.

My father-in-law went through the 2008 Challenger rebirth, I've been through both Jeep SRT crazes and the Hellcat, I've watched the Demon roll out. Floor stock was rare on these models at the point we are in now with the Trackhawk, and those available without paying MSRP or a markup was even more rare. That's just SRT vehicles. That doesn't include my experience with the Shelby GT500 in 2012 or other people I've known trying to get the new Ford GT, 350r, Tesla's, etc. etc.

$90-100k in the region I speak of is not a big deal for a car if people really want it. 5000 units may be double the proposed production, but that is still peanuts for an entire year production number. I'd bet the NoVA/MD/DE/SoutheastPA Jeep dealers sell 5,000 Grand Cherokees a month combined. Put those 2 factors together plus the ease at being able to find inventory and you have a vehicle that may not be a "bad" selling vehicle for Jeeps profit on the model, but it does support a "bad" selling vehicle from a buyers desire/need.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I think the majority of trackhawks sold already are for people seeking trackhawks (ordered them with options, or they go to dealership wanting trackhawk). They have sold really well for jeeps first entry into this price point. The ones you see unsold are orders backed out on or in hotter markets where the dealer ordered ones that will sell eventually. I don’t think very many people will go into a jeep dealership looking for a grand cherokee (Laredo, limited, summit, etc) and see a trackhawk on the floor and say, I’ll take that one instead...

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
The 90-100k in the region I speak of is not a big deal for a car if people really want it. 5000 units may be double the proposed production, but that is still peanuts for an entire year production number. I'd bet the NoVA/MD/DE/SoutheastPA Jeep dealers sell 5,000 Grand Cherokees a month combined. Put those 2 factors together plus the ease at being able to find inventory and you have a vehicle that may not be a "bad" selling vehicle for Jeeps profit on the model, but it does support a "bad" selling vehicle from a buyers desire/need.

I don’t think you are very intune with exactly how many SRT vehicles are sold per production year.

If they sell 5k Trackhawk this year, that will be considered a smashing success. If they sell 3k TH, it’s above what they predicted and probably will help the TH live at least another model year.

For the record, they sold less that 2k hellcats, challengers and chargers combined, in 2017. So, if we used your logic, the entire HC line was a failure from 2015 forward, because it’s a small percentage of over model sales.

And I also think it’s funny that you are drooling over a Durango SRT with a $20k +100hp engine option over the RT, but the $20k 200+hp engine option a TH charges over the SRT8 Jeep is outrageous.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don’t think you are very intune with exactly how many SRT vehicles are sold per production year.

If they sell 5k Trackhawk this year, that will be considered a smashing success. If they sell 3k TH, it’s above what they predicted and probably will help the TH live at least another model year.

For the record, they sold less that 2k hellcats, challengers and chargers combined, in 2017. So, if we used your logic, the entire HC line was a failure from 2015 forward, because it’s a small percentage of over model sales.

And I also think it’s funny that you are drooling over a Durango SRT with a $20k +100hp engine option over the RT, but the $20k 200+hp engine option a TH charges over the SRT8 Jeep is outrageous.
LOL.....WhoTF is this guy??? Just about every "fact" you just tried to use is wrong LOL.

Go sit back down and come back when you're not so butthurt about your precious Trackhawk's comments.

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
LOL.....WhoTF is this guy??? Just about every "fact" you just tried to use is wrong LOL.

Go sit back down and come back when you're not so butthurt about your precious Trackhawk's comments.

Lol... what ever makes you feel better about yourself.

So disinterested in a TH, yet here you are.

And yes, my bad, they built 3k challenger HC and 2k Charger version in 2017. I was completely off base, my apologies.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Lol... what ever makes you feel better about yourself.

So disinterested in a TH, yet here you are.

And yes, my bad, they built 3k challenger HC and 2k Charger version in 2017. I was completely off base, my apologies.
Ahhh, the 'ol why are you here then retort. LOL, again, I've been here way longer than you. Ask Scott, because I like to bust his balls!! :)

I never said I was disinterested. Did I not just say I went to purchase one last week??? Butthurt is a son-of-a-bitch, don't forget to use your pillow.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts