Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been browsing the forums for a while now. I've owned my 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee for almost a year, and am starting to look into modding it. Of course, more power and better fuel efficiency is always top of the list; I started looking over my options, and everyone suggests GDE's tune. Looking on GDE's site, they show a 28hp/55ft-lb gain over stock. Meanwhile, other companies are claiming higher gains: for instance, PPEI offers a 20, 40, or 60 HP tune. Black Market Performance offers 30, 50, and 80 HP tunes. Not to mention plug-n-play "Chips" that claim 30 to 65 HP over stock; TS performance has the MP8 Pro and the Stryker, which are stackable, claiming over 70 HP gain. So, my question is, why GDE? Has anyone tried the other companies? Has anyone tried the plug-n-play devices? Obviously the higher you go, the more wear and tear on the engine; is that why everyone suggests the GDE tune?

At the moment, my JGC runs great. I've used it to haul vehicles numerous times without any worry, then unhitched the trailer and loaded the family up to go to dinner. It really is an amazing vehicle, and I plan to drive it til the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
629 Posts
A lot of people get GDE for the added fuel economy and reliability. People trust their engineering.

·
Registered
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of people get GDE for the added fuel economy and reliability. People trust their engineering.
All of them offer increased fuel economy. Are there documented failures of other tunes/PNP-Devices? If not, there's no reason to say GDE is more reliable than the others. I don't see much for the JGC when it comes to other tunes. I'll have to do some research on the Ram EcoDiesel and see if that sheds some light on things for me.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
At the moment, my JGC runs great. I've used it to haul vehicles numerous times without any worry, then unhitched the trailer and loaded the family up to go to dinner. It really is an amazing vehicle, and I plan to drive it til the wheels fall off.
Same here, So it also begs the question, why do ANYTHING to it? Mine is still bone stock, runs great, has respectable fuel economy, and does everything I want. I have Maxcare for as many years and miles as I wish to own it and no warranty concerns. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.. but I'm also happy now and don't really want to spend anymore frivolous money on it.
I don't really understand all this Modding , upgrading, Wheel changing, New bulbs, CAI Intake, GDE Tune and all this stuff. It won't bring you any more when it's time to go Bye Bye.. and I already spent 50+K to get to this point.

But I'm old and that may explain some of this...:D

Reactions: Andejo

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Same here, So it also begs the question, why do ANYTHING to it? Mine is still bone stock, runs great, has respectable fuel economy, and does everything I want. I have Maxcare for as many years and miles as I wish to own it and no warranty concerns. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.. but I'm also happy now and don't really want to spend anymore frivolous money on it.
I don't really understand all this Modding , upgrading, Wheel changing, New bulbs, CAI Intake, GDE Tune and all this stuff. It won't bring you any more when it's time to go Bye Bye.. and I already spent 50+K to get to this point.

To each their own. I'm old too.

·
Registered
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say my itch comes from my competitive family. We're always arguing about who's the fastest. My Uncle is a die-hard Chevy fan; when I was searching for a new vehicle, he was giving me all the ins-and-outs on the Silverado's, telling me what is a good fit for me, and yada yada yada. Now that I've gone and bought something besides a Chevy, all he does is trash talk it :p. I was towing a van the other day and stopped by his place, and he asked if I would be able to turn it around in his yard, or if he needed to pull out the Duramax to help me out :lol: I managed just fine with the JGC and smiled the whole way. Out of the 8 vehicles I've owned, the only ones I've that I haven't modified were a 1992 Honda Civic and a 2007 Dodge Caliber.

Back on topic, I'm reading about different tunes on the Ram EcoDiesel. General consensus seems to be GDE is more power without sacrificing reliability (maybe even adding some?), while other tunes generally are exceeding the limits on the turbo and will probably shorten the lifespan.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts

to make it better and last longer, EGR and DPF junk fails or gunks up the intake and causes issues later on. i modded my VW TDIs in the past like an idiot and while i didn't ruin them or blow motors up it took the fun out of it and i worked on them too much then grew to not like them. My eco will get a turbo back exhaust and the GDE tunes, from what i have seen is GDE does only jeeps so they put 100% of their effort and R&D into our vehicles as it's not just a job but a personal interest. other companies might be buying another tune then just slapping their name on it or tuning for numbers in a way that messes things up later on.
A "medium" tune with intercooler, oil cooler, intake, exhaust and other bolt on upgrades will be worth more than just shoving more boost and fuel into a motor.

Minor tunes or tweaks are great, like how old men wear a belt or suspenders to help their pants fit better haha.

granted trying to get 700HP at the wheels is pretty stupid unless you just want to spend money.

[snip......]

Back on topic, I'm reading about different tunes on the Ram EcoDiesel. General consensus seems to be GDE is more power without sacrificing reliability (maybe even adding some?), while other tunes generally are exceeding the limits on the turbo and will probably shorten the lifespan.
you commented as i was replying it looks lol. i would like to 2nd that were GDE tunes won't mess a jeep up as they want the best preforming vehicle, not just the highest bolt on "power" numbers

·
Registered
277 Posts
Banks offers 60HP adjustable tune that’s smog legal, outside of California.
Banks even in process of getting CARB certified for California.
Banks reputation well documented with its work on our military diesel vehicles.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
has anyone done any reviews on their aluminum intake? that really interests me as i can make sure the motor is gunk free and what not when i start modding it

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
GDE does a lot more than Jeeps, just take a look at their site. They recently starting supporting the GM 2.8L and will soon be doing R&D on the Ford 3.0L F150.

When it came time for me to choose a tune (before I even took delivery), it came down to professionalism and value for my dollar. Take a look at the websites of each tune vendor and you'll see GDE stands out above the rest for spelling out each aspect of how they modify the tune. They modify countless parameters and tell you why.

Chips, black boxes, and sensor trickery should be avoided in my book. They do nothing to shut off the dirty EGR and clean up injector cycles for a cleaner running longer-lasting engine. Stacking them is just asking for trouble.

The Banks aluminum intake does nothing but lighten your wallet. The GDE tune sets the butterfly valves to wide open which the Banks manifold achieves by removing them.

If the GDE hot tune does not meet your power cravings, talk to them about the super tune. They can turn it up almost as much as you want. The reason they market their hot tune is because it's turning up the power within the safe parameters of the OEM equipment in mind. Other manufacturers don't claim that.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,110 Posts
I had a Super Chips Micro Tuner in my Super Duty for 8 years. It did offer varying levels of hp increase but I was conservative and used 40hp increase.
I have had multiple emission related problems with mine such as EGR, EGR cooler, EGR valve, DFP sensor and replacement CAT which all 14's had.
I picked GDE to keep from having to visit the dealer and I have Max Care but the dealer is 26 miles away or 70 miles away plus the 106 bucks each visit 3 times this year was my motivation.
In 9 years with my SD never had one engine issue but it didn't have the DPF and all the other stuff this one has except it did have a CAT.

My interest was for improved fuel mileage which I am seeing 3-4 mpg increase and more torque and hp. To be honest the mileage is about what I used to get before FCA started the endless tweaks.

My investment in this JGC was not cheap and I tend to use the best of what I can find and for me that was GDE.

Time will tell if this was a good call or not but at the moment I am really enjoying my ride even more so than I did before...

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
GDE does a lot more than Jeeps, just take a look at their site. They recently starting supporting the GM 2.8L and will soon be doing R&D on the Ford 3.0L F150.
[snip]
The Banks aluminum intake does nothing but lighten your wallet. The GDE tune sets the butterfly valves to wide open which the Banks manifold achieves by removing them.
[snip]
true i noticed that as well after looking more how ever didn't they start on jeeps then move to others? they also have their own forum where people can talk and research more on their tunes and options. i was only trying to say they are extremely thorough with their tunes and products, most other places just sell you a chip or what ever then you're on your own.

i guess i'll pass on the banks intake then lol. i didn't look too far into it and figured it was only needed for the RAM guys who stack turbos and want 700HP.

how would you guys rate an intercooler upgrade?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
629 Posts
All of them offer increased fuel economy. Are there documented failures of other tunes/PNP-Devices? If not, there's no reason to say GDE is more reliable than the others. I don't see much for the JGC when it comes to other tunes. I'll have to do some research on the Ram EcoDiesel and see if that sheds some light on things for me.
You asked why people choose GDE tunes. Maybe you meant that as a rhetorical question, because you didn't seem interested in the answer. :confused:

I'm not a fanboy of GDE. I don't even have their tunes. Just relating what I've seen. People have been using GDE tunes in diesel Jeeps and RAM trucks since something like 2008, so they have some positive history.

Not saying the other guys don't have positive history. Frankly I don't know anything about the others so I can't offer any comparisons.

Again, just relating what I've been reading here for the last 4 years about GDE tunes and why people choose them. You can take it or leave it. Not my problem what you do or don't do with the information.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,819 Posts
Many here go with GDE. I’m with Stbentoak, though...

Mine is bone stock and I’ll probably keep it that way (engine; I did change wheels recently, to downsize them for off-roading). I too plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.

I’m probably not as old as Stbentoak is but he’s probably more handsome. :D

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
I've been browsing the forums for a while now. I've owned my 2014 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee for almost a year, and am starting to look into modding it. Of course, more power and better fuel efficiency is always top of the list; I started looking over my options, and everyone suggests GDE's tune. Looking on GDE's site, they show a 28hp/55ft-lb gain over stock. Meanwhile, other companies are claiming higher gains: for instance, PPEI offers a 20, 40, or 60 HP tune. Black Market Performance offers 30, 50, and 80 HP tunes. Not to mention plug-n-play "Chips" that claim 30 to 65 HP over stock; TS performance has the MP8 Pro and the Stryker, which are stackable, claiming over 70 HP gain. So, my question is, why GDE? Has anyone tried the other companies? Has anyone tried the plug-n-play devices? Obviously the higher you go, the more wear and tear on the engine; is that why everyone suggests the GDE tune?

I can speak only for the unit I have and that's the Bluespark Pro+Boost Control. I've been running it for 4 years now with no issues. It has mappings for economy, economy/torque, torque, torque/power and power. Each mapping can be graduated from stock to full. I've experimented with setting and found the only one worth using is full torque. With that, the diesel pulls like a steam train and no turbo lag. I love the feel. It makes sense because the diesel is a torque motor. Economy seems about the same but the way it pulls, who cares. It's a plug-n-play unit relatively easy to install with good instructions. Make sure you order the exact one for your motor. It's made in Britain so if ordering from outside Britain, write NOVAT in the coupon box to avoid having to be charged VAT. If the dealer reflashes your CPU there is no issue with the unit but I disconnect it just in case.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Many here go with GDE. I’m with Stbentoak, though...

Mine is bone stock and I’ll probably keep it that way (engine; I did change wheels recently, to downsize them for off-roading). I too plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.

I’m probably not as old as Stbentoak is but he’s probably more handsome. :D
handsome fades as you get older...:D I plan on selling at the 2020 model year. if there is another great JGC avail that is a diesel, I will be interested. If not it may be on to another brand. If it is running and doing exceptionally well, I may just keep it and sell it to my daughter cheaply. Its too good of a vehicle to just get nothing for, 6 years old...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I too plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.
All the more reason for a GDE tune. At 7000 miles, my oil still appears clean, can read the dipstick through the oil. Don't even see that with gassers. I did tune at 457mi though so there's never been any soot or gunk buildup.

Longevity was my main reason for an ECM tune, all the other benefits are extra.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
All the more reason for a GDE tune. At 7000 miles, my oil still appears clean, can read the dipstick through the oil. Don't even see that with gassers. I did tune at 457mi though so there's never been any soot or gunk buildup.

Just because oil is black has nothing to do with its state of usability or life expectancy.... Been proven many times over via independent testing. May be a nice feature of GDE, but has no bearing on either oil or engine condition....
My Cummins is 15 years old, oil turns black on first 10 mile road trip, and is still flawless after mega miles on it...

·
Registered
Summit
31 Posts
Oil being “dark” isn’t a good indicator of the level of protection it is providing. Oil can still withstand shearing while carrying soot away with it. The fact that the GDE tune turns off the EGR probably contributes greatly to keeping the oil “clean”, but doesn’t nessesarily mean you can go for longer oil change intervals.

That being said, Ive had my 14’ JGC for 5 days and have already ordered the Hot Tune. The way I see it, GDE can make my engine perform more efficiently and make more power while turning off engine damaging emissions systems, why not take advantage of it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts