Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I hope to get a job soon. I will likely live in/just outside of the city, but I love the outdoors and taking road trips to more "naturey" areas like National Parks and Forests. I consider an 8-10 hour drive acceptable for a long weekend or week-long vacation destination.
Would you recommend the Jeep Grand Cherokee? I have taken an interest to them because I like SUVs as opposed to cars, and I want something that can handle dirt roads, mud, snow, and potentially a bit of off road (to suit my outdoors hobby). However, I like the Grand Cherokee because it seems like a great outdoorsy vehicle, but also something i can use in the city/suburb. Also, i see them everywhere in my town, so they must be good?
What do you like about the JGC? Would you recommend it? Also, kinda a dumb question, but i am new to this... how would you go about buying one? New or used? I want one of the later models (2016 onwards probably).

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
My wife and I bought our first JGC to tow behind our RV for the reason it was easier to get in and out of than a Jeep Wrangler. If I were you I would look at a 2016 or newer JGC that's trail ready if you want it for driving off-road in the National Forests.
That's my suggestion also if you buy any Jeep buy a Club as added security to your vehicle. I can tell you exactly where my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland is in Tijuana BC. The U-Connect has a great locator for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,622 Posts
No vehicle is best at everything. I think the JGC is the best balanced for my needs... genuine off road capability plus long trips on the highway in comfort. Off road capabilities among the best, very good on the road as fast as you want to go, very nicely finished, as good as my brothers in laws BMW X's, and I can lay down in the back and sleep in it since the floor is flat enough and long enough for me. It get decent gas mileage and you have options depending on what trade-off you want between power and gas mileage. I bought used so didn't have quite as many vehicles to choose from and wound up with a Summit. The only downside to the summit is you can't take off the lower front fascia to gain that ground clearance but even so I've gone over some pretty big and steep obstacles. I also had to add the skid plates. If I could have resisted the Summit and would have found an Overland I liked I would have gotten an Overland with all the bells and whistles and the "Trail Rated" options. I looked at and/or read the reviews of the other choices and thought the JGC easily beat them all except for perhaps ground clearance.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,425 Posts
The versatility won us over. It's good looking, extremely comfortable, capable. It tows well, can do any off roading that we require and is also comfortable at 120mph. At nearly 60k miles it's been extremely reliable for us. Lately I've been eyeing a Gladiator but I'm not sure I want to give up my Grand Cherokee just yet.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The versatility won us over. It's good looking, extremely comfortable, capable. It tows well, can do any off roading that we require and is also comfortable at 120mph. At nearly 60k miles it's been extremely reliable for us. Lately I've been eyeing a Gladiator but I'm not sure I want to give up my Grand Cherokee just yet.
Was at the Jeep dealership a few days ago picking up parts for my XJ which is back up on jack stands, its natural habitat.
Anyhow they had a Gladiator in the showroom which put a big smile on my face. One cool rig.

Far as my GC TrailHawk, i'll be the contrarian here.
Knowing what i know now i probably should of bought a V6 Cherokee TrailHawk instead.
Why?
Can't say for sure but i think the air suspension and rear hatch getting dirty even in fair weather is part of it and for a lack of better terms its too 'luxurious' or 'streamlined' or something inside and out for my likes.
But thats me.
Believe it or not i enjoy driving my old school Jeep XJ more than my GC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Been in the market for a new SUV for a couple years to replace an '05 4Runner. Last winter, we got quite a bit of snow and my daughter decided she could give up her Camaro for a little more worthy winter vehicle.

Looked at another 4Runner, Edge Sport, and Explorer. Not overly excited about any of them. She asked me why I never looked at Grand Cherokees. I've just never been a big FCA guy and never gave them any thought.

Went and test drove a '19 Limited. We all really liked it and bought her a magnetic '19 Limited with Lux Pkg and Tow that the dealer had in transit. She loves it now with a little over 20K miles.

I kept her Camaro and drove it for a year. The wife and I actually liked her Limited so much, we just bought us a silver '20 Limited with Lux Pkg, Light Pkg, and Tow and sold the Camaro. Just over 500 miles on it now and really like it.

I usually get the mod bug, so I'm keeping the '05 4Runner to turn into our off-road toy and keep the Grand Cherokee pretty much stock.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,081 Posts
Last year at this time I had been driving a RAM pickup for 3 years. I enjoyed the RAM but wanted something smaller. Twelve months ago I bought a new 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I still have the RAM but we always take the Jeep when we go somewhere - unless a truck is required. The Trailhawk is a pleasure to drive (on and off road).

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Last year at this time I had been driving a RAM pickup for 3 years. I enjoyed the RAM but wanted something smaller. Twelve months ago I bought a new 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I still have the RAM but we always take the Jeep when we go somewhere - unless a truck is required. The Trailhawk is a pleasure to drive (on and off road).
My wife and I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x2 crew cab 8ft w Il6.7l CTD and our 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. We take the P/U when we go on long trips. I really like driving the JGC Trailhawk almost a lot more than driving my P/U. Go figure.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You need to do a lot if research. I would start with videos on how to buy a car from a dealership. If you are asking how to buy one you may want to become more familiar with the process before walking in or they could really take advantage of you. Test drive one and see how it feels. Look online for its competitors and price them out and test drive them. Know your credit score before walking in. Know your budget and stick to it. My personal experience with my 2017 limited has been very good so far. It's a very capable vehicle. There are several good vehicles in this class. Shop around and be smart about it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What do you like about the JGC? Would you recommend it?
1.5 years ago I started researching a replacement vehicle for my Chrysler that I had driven for 11 years. There was nothing wrong with it but at 145,000 miles I figured it would not last forever. The requirements for the replacement were that it could do OK on snowy winter roads (FWD, AWD or 4WD), the rear seat could fold down to carry my bicycle inside, halfway decent fuel economy, styling that I found attractive and made in the USA. I almost bought a Cadillac XTS AWD with HUD but in the end I chose a 2018 GC HA.

I like it for all of the above and it has a smooth ride compared to my wife's 2-dr Wrangler. She borrowed mine recently to drive to work and commented about how noticeably better it drove than hers and that it had lots of pickup. I will never drive it offroad, but I have absolutely no interest in any of that anyway. It did great when driving home from work in an 11" snowstorm the first winter I had it and easily made it up a long, steep snow-covered hill that I would not have even thought about trying in my old Chrysler. I like all of the high tech "gadgets" it has and I named it Data, after the Star Trek android with all the gadgets.

I saw comments about the Gladiator. My wife is looking to replace her Wrangler and that's one of the vehicles she had considered...until we looked up the specs and went out to the garage and measured. Those things are about as long as an 18-wheeler. :oops: With the storage cabinets we have there would have been about 1.5 ft of room between them and the front bumper. She's now looking at a Wrangler JKU.

·
Registered
776 Posts
For us the GC offered a nice balance between comfort, performance (with the V8 and 8 speed ZF transmission) and all weather capability. I ordered ours as we were about to build a home at the top of a mountain that gets snow from Oct. - May and the QuadraDrive was unstoppable. The available MaxCare factory Lifetime “warranty“ which unfortunately is no longer available sealed the deal.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Even with stiffer competition these days, JGC retains the crown for ultimate versatility while also being very comfortable. Performance of even the base drivetrain exceeds most other vehicles in the class and as you move up the stack to the even more advanced drive trains, it's a "go almost anywhere" vehicle that's still very much at home on the highway and local streets.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2012 with 150,000 miles. Sure, it’s had more than it’s share of recalls but they have cost me nothing but minimal time dropping it off. Other than that I have spent less than $100 on a couple of parts I could easily replace myself. The maintenance costs are comparable to any other vehicle. It’s reliable and has gotten me safely to work and home every winter in MN. It has has cost less to own than either my wife’s Pilot or Highlander.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check this out.
I've had my '12 JGC Laredo 4X4 5.7L since new in July 2012. It is Trail Rated and has Quadra Trac2 and a factory towing package. It now has 82,000 miles on it and except for the water pump going out under warranty, it's been a very good vehicle. I have no intention of selling it anytime soon. It is very comfortable on the highway and in the city and is great for picking up groceries, Home Depot stuff and towing. To be honest, I've never really used it for off road although it's said to be very capable. If you plan to keep for a long time (like we do, my wife's Chrysler 300 is a 2010 with very low mileage), buying new may be the best option but if you tend to switch out vehicles every 2 to 4 years, you may want to find a low mileage newer used one that suits your needs and has some warranty left on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I began looking at mid-size SUV's in 2012 I had one requirement that quickly narrowed the field. Due to my state's tire chain law I had to have a vehicle that could accommodate their use in order to tow my snowmobile trailer. In 2019 when it was replacement time the GC is now pretty much the only vehicle in this class that meets my same requirement. I also really like the 24.6 gallon fuel tank as it provides excellent range. I hope the new WL does not come with a smaller tank.

·
Registered
248 Posts
1) With the air suspension, the ride is cushy.
2) With the HEMI, it tows effortlessly.
3) Despite its size, it’s nimble, with a 37.1 foot turning circle.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I would love to get a "Challenge coin that say's imported from Detroit Michigan" on it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts