Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, I am a new member looking for some answers for why my 2004 WJ V8 is burning oil (like crazy). I bought the Jeep last year and soon after I realized it was burning or leaking oil. It is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 with 152,000 miles. Its burning about 2 quarts a week. Theres no blue or white smoke from the exhaust but it does smell like burning oil.

A mechanic recently told me that the problem is a leak at the main seal. Another told me it's the piston rings. I'm just trying to figure out if the problem is repairable or if its worth the cost to replace the motor. Can anyone help me diagnose the issue? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Does the oil look milky? Are you also losing coolant?
Are there any engine driveability issues like misfires, back fires, rough idle, etc.
The absolute first thing i would do is a quick check for an oil leak and if none then pull the spark plugs to see if one, some or all of them are oil fouled.

I would think with 2 qts./week there would be obvious signs of an oil leak somewhere including a puddle under the Jeep.
Even though i would still give the engine a quick visual check for any signs of oil leakage.
Pay close attention to the valve covers, oil filter area, oil pan, rear oil seal area and front timing case cover area.

I have to say with 152K miles, the piston rings could be toast especially if the PO did not maintain the Jeep properly.
If no obvious signs of an oil leak and the spark plugs are oil fouled then its off to get a compression test for verification.

The best case cheapest to repair scenario would be worn valve seals. The typical sign of worn valve seals is a temporary cloud of exhaust smoke at first start up after the Jeep sat over night.

If it turns out the piston rings are worn Its either an engine over haul or a crate engine neither of which is gonna be cheap likely exceeding the value of an '04 Jeep with 152K miles.
Whether its worth the cost to repair only you can make that decision but first i'd find the root cause of the oil useage and take it from there.

Reactions: Guts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts