Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into CAI for my 2019 5.7L WK2 for a while now. I've looked at Corsa, AFE, Volant, and K&N. Admittedly, I think I have to go with the K&N, because I have the SRT style hood, so the others don't really fit. Or, I have to do some damage to the engine bay, removing some metal tabs that stick out.
That all said, I see all too often, people saying, "For the love of god, just don't go K&N". I can't find any real reasoning as to why I shouldn't go with that brand.
I have read the difference between oil and dry filters, and K&N now makes a dry filter, so I was going to put that one on, rather than the oil one that comes with the kit.
Other than that, all I can tell is, for the rest of the CAI it's simply a tube attached. There's no real technicality to the CAI that would need and garner it causing more trouble elsewhere. Has all the same silicone elbows and rings attaching it as the others.
So, why the hate?

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
606 Posts
I like using intakes, I've used K&N for a long time. I'd say if your in dusty conditions get the prefilter wrap. I think K&N gets a bad wrap, due to the old ones years ago weren't oiled from the factory and/or when they get cleaned and reoiled many use way too much oil and can damage mass air flow sensors and other things, can gum up the intake butterfly. A lot of people get a bit of dust past the K&Ns or other cone/reusable filters......but I've had fine dust get past some OE paper filters as well....Totally personal preference. I like them!!!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7
123 Posts
I don't hate them but I think the closed boxes (AFE, Volant) would be better at not sucking in hot engine air. And the Volant is cheaper.

Reactions: JakdMan

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't hate them but I think the closed boxes (AFE, Volant) would be better at not sucking in hot engine air. And the Volant is cheaper.
I don’t know about cheaper because I have brand new K&N intake listed in the classifieds on here for $165. I don’t think you can find a Volant closed box system for that cheap.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7
123 Posts
I don’t know about cheaper because I have brand new K&N intake listed in the classifieds on here for $165. I don’t think you can find a Volant closed box system for that cheap.
Very true

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
The OE filter and box flow enough air for a stock engine, the OE filter filters better, and it draws air from outside of the engine compartment.

If you want more intake noise by an open filter.

Reactions: philbytx

·
Registered
1 Posts
The OE filter and box flow enough air for a stock engine, the OE filter filters better, and it draws air from outside of the engine compartment.

If you want more intake noise by an open filter.
I installed the Volant system on my 19 Limited X (with SRT hood). Everything fits fine, and you dont have to break off the metal bracket to install. The awesome intake sound is worth the price!

·
Registered
Jeep
28 Posts
Dodge told me that if I put a K&N filter on my diesel it would void the warranty because to much dirt gets through them. Watch you tube videos on filters. The only time you need full air flow is when you have your foot flat to the floor and most air filters supply air just fine even under those conditions. I would rather have my engine last than spend a bunch of money on B.S. If your really concerned about air flow put a motor minder vacuum gage on it. All diesel trucks have them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dodge told me that if I put a K&N filter on my diesel it would void the warranty because to much dirt gets through them. Watch you tube videos on filters. The only time you need full air flow is when you have your foot flat to the floor and most air filters supply air just fine even under those conditions. I would rather have my engine last than spend a bunch of money on B.S. If your really concerned about air flow put a motor minder vacuum gage on it. All diesel trucks have them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dodge lied to you! I have been running K&N products on every vehicle that i have owned since the 90’s and never once has a dealership told me anything silly like that. The only way that they can deny a warranty claim is if they can prove the product caused the malfunction. Please do some research before you believe one person’s opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Closed box (or sealed section at least) or go home.....

Guess they're fine if that's how the stock CAI is, but the is a reason for that closed box. Not fully optimal, but that plastic case help fight heat soak a little at least lol

That flat filter is not optimal.... literally basic geometry (okay, I guess it's "optimal" it you aren't pushing it, but that's not universal at all. Even the Pentastar is a race engine if you pay attention)

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,134 Posts
I personally would never run an oiled filter or open box intake. Dry filters you'll lose 1-5% from oiled which nobody will ever notice and oiled is not worth the hassle for ONLY 1-5% difference. Quick vacuum and possible wash and dry and I'm good to go. Some people over oil their filters. No thanks!

Reactions: JakdMan

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,090 Posts
If they pushed it they might win. The basic issue would be whether or not the K&N actually meets the specification for the required filter. Many tests over the years have shown K&N's don't filter nearly as well as the normal paper filters do. Whether they are still "in spec" I don't know. There is no way in hell I would put a K&N on anything I own. The fact that you can use them and the engine doesn't blow up doesn't mean they are not letting in wear particles that will shorten the engines life. Very few people every keep an engine till end of life. Chrysler compared paper air filters to oil bath filters way back when and showed how much better paper was. K&N isn't exactly oil bath but similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,134 Posts
If they pushed it they might win. The basic issue would be whether or not the K&N actually meets the specification for the required filter. Many tests over the years have shown K&N's don't filter nearly as well as the normal paper filters do. Whether they are still "in spec" I don't know. There is no way in hell I would put a K&N on anything I own.
A lot of the problems with K&N is they rely on the owner to properly clean and oil the filter, not enough oil and particles get through, too much oil and you clog the filter. Dry filters are much better for filtering and the small difference from dry to oiled is insignificant for performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a 2019 Limited 5.7L V8, how are you liking your intake? Pros and cons? I'm looking to buy one.
I really love mine. It’s been great for all these months. I may be selling mine here in a couple days. Might be trading my a Trailhawk for a Trackhawk. I kept the stock intake for emissions and trade in purposes. I’ll be pulling the trigger if selling or not. Would do $200 for it ($100 less than I paid)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts