Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into CAI for my 2019 5.7L WK2 for a while now. I've looked at Corsa, AFE, Volant, and K&N. Admittedly, I think I have to go with the K&N, because I have the SRT style hood, so the others don't really fit. Or, I have to do some damage to the engine bay, removing some metal tabs that stick out.
That all said, I see all too often, people saying, "For the love of god, just don't go K&N". I can't find any real reasoning as to why I shouldn't go with that brand.
I have read the difference between oil and dry filters, and K&N now makes a dry filter, so I was going to put that one on, rather than the oil one that comes with the kit.
Other than that, all I can tell is, for the rest of the CAI it's simply a tube attached. There's no real technicality to the CAI that would need and garner it causing more trouble elsewhere. Has all the same silicone elbows and rings attaching it as the others.
So, why the hate?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Because that is what people feel the need to do. I purchased a K&N Intake but never got around to installing because my Trailhawk was totaled. It is in the classifieds if you are interested.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
521 Posts
I like using intakes, I've used K&N for a long time. I'd say if your in dusty conditions get the prefilter wrap. I think K&N gets a bad wrap, due to the old ones years ago weren't oiled from the factory and/or when they get cleaned and reoiled many use way too much oil and can damage mass air flow sensors and other things, can gum up the intake butterfly. A lot of people get a bit of dust past the K&Ns or other cone/reusable filters......but I've had fine dust get past some OE paper filters as well....Totally personal preference. I like them!!!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7
40 Posts
I don't hate them but I think the closed boxes (AFE, Volant) would be better at not sucking in hot engine air. And the Volant is cheaper.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't hate them but I think the closed boxes (AFE, Volant) would be better at not sucking in hot engine air. And the Volant is cheaper.
I don’t know about cheaper because I have brand new K&N intake listed in the classifieds on here for $165. I don’t think you can find a Volant closed box system for that cheap.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,430 Posts
The OE filter and box flow enough air for a stock engine, the OE filter filters better, and it draws air from outside of the engine compartment.

If you want more intake noise by an open filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The OE filter and box flow enough air for a stock engine, the OE filter filters better, and it draws air from outside of the engine compartment.

If you want more intake noise by an open filter.
I installed the Volant system on my 19 Limited X (with SRT hood). Everything fits fine, and you dont have to break off the metal bracket to install. The awesome intake sound is worth the price!

·
Registered
Jeep
19 Posts
Dodge told me that if I put a K&N filter on my diesel it would void the warranty because to much dirt gets through them. Watch you tube videos on filters. The only time you need full air flow is when you have your foot flat to the floor and most air filters supply air just fine even under those conditions. I would rather have my engine last than spend a bunch of money on B.S. If your really concerned about air flow put a motor minder vacuum gage on it. All diesel trucks have them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dodge told me that if I put a K&N filter on my diesel it would void the warranty because to much dirt gets through them. Watch you tube videos on filters. The only time you need full air flow is when you have your foot flat to the floor and most air filters supply air just fine even under those conditions. I would rather have my engine last than spend a bunch of money on B.S. If your really concerned about air flow put a motor minder vacuum gage on it. All diesel trucks have them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dodge lied to you! I have been running K&N products on every vehicle that i have owned since the 90’s and never once has a dealership told me anything silly like that. The only way that they can deny a warranty claim is if they can prove the product caused the malfunction. Please do some research before you believe one person’s opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts