Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really love mine. It’s been great for all these months. I may be selling mine here in a couple days. Might be trading my a Trailhawk for a Trackhawk. I kept the stock intake for emissions and trade in purposes. I’ll be pulling the trigger if selling or not. Would do $200 for it ($100 less than I paid)
What is it, an aFe? And how long have you had it?

Does it sound different? And have you noticed a difference performance-wise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What is it, an aFe? And how long have you had it?

Does it sound different? And have you noticed a difference performance-wise?
K&N. With a Dry Filter. Had it since 15April2020. So, maybe 1000mi of useage. Definitely sounds different; throatier. I’d swear that you can feel the engine reacting quicker. I have a 2019 5.7L Trailhawk. Bought in January.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7
123 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited 5.7L V8, how are you liking your intake? Pros and cons? I'm looking to buy one.
I love it and the engine sound. However, as others have pointed out, there is some low-end loss versus the stock box. But once you get past 4K RPMs you can feel it pull a little harder. I haven't done any time testing. I also removed the suitcase and put in an x-pipe and I don't know if that makes any performance difference.

I may put the stock intake back on just for comparison now that I have a good feel for the AFE.

Last, I have the pedal commander to remove the throttle lag. Using that and putting the Jeep in Sport mode definitely wakes this thing up! I haven't had my gas mileage above 17.5 in the 4 months I've owned it and I'm ready over 7K miles! Just love this thing lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been looking into CAI for my 2019 5.7L WK2 for a while now. I've looked at Corsa, AFE, Volant, and K&N. Admittedly, I think I have to go with the K&N, because I have the SRT style hood, so the others don't really fit. Or, I have to do some damage to the engine bay, removing some metal tabs that stick out.
That all said, I see all too often, people saying, "For the love of god, just don't go K&N". I can't find any real reasoning as to why I shouldn't go with that brand.
I have read the difference between oil and dry filters, and K&N now makes a dry filter, so I was going to put that one on, rather than the oil one that comes with the kit.
Other than that, all I can tell is, for the rest of the CAI it's simply a tube attached. There's no real technicality to the CAI that would need and garner it causing more trouble elsewhere. Has all the same silicone elbows and rings attaching it as the others.
So, why the hate?
I too have had the K & N CAI, oiled filter on my hemi jeep. Loved the sound and I think there was a performance increase, K & N claims there is. I did have an issue with the metal brackets rusting within months of install. K & N was kind enough to replace the entire assembly. But I do have a concern about their design and application and the Volant has the same shortcoming, in my opinion, and this is my concern: if your Jeep is trail rated, you have water fording as one characteristic of that trail rating. the OEM airbox has an opening at the most forward and upper corner of the airbox, so water entering the filter must exceed that waterline. Any of the CAI applications remove the OEM airbox and the filter is exposed 360 degrees which radically lowers the waterline point at which water could enter the filter element. I figure six inches lower. So does that affect the water fording capabilities on a trail rated vehicle? I asked this same question to K & N and I don't think they really understood what i was asking. Again, I'm not positive CAI will affect the water fording, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
840 Posts
I too have had the K & N CAI, ... So does that affect the water fording capabilities on a trail rated vehicle?
I a word, Yes. If you are fording deep enough to where the water is going to touch the air filter element, the results are going to be catastrophic.

BUT!!! doesn't the OEM air box have a drain at the bottom? Keep in mind that the water is going to enter the air box at the lowest point available.

As long as the inlet tube to the throttle body is at the same level (K&N vs OEM), you shouldn't have any loss of fording capabilities.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7
123 Posts
Intrested in how that performs?
I put it in about a month after I bought the Jeep. Ran well, no issues. Definitely felt it pull more once it hit 4K RPMs.

I took it out after about a year to put the stock box back in so I could see how much of a difference it made, if any. The stock box was a tad more responsive under 3000 RPMs and stayed pretty smooth throughout acceleration.

After a couple of weeks, I put the AFE back in. Still pulls strong at 4K. Still lots of fun, especially in Sport mode.

As far as actual power bump, it's probably negligible over stock but I prefer the sound and extra kick at 4K.

Reactions: PatientZero

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put it in about a month after I bought the Jeep. Ran well, no issues. Definitely felt it pull more once it hit 4K RPMs.

I took it out after about a year to put the stock box back in so I could see how much of a difference it made, if any. The stock box was a tad more responsive under 3000 RPMs and stayed pretty smooth throughout acceleration.

After a couple of weeks, I put the AFE back in. Still pulls strong at 4K. Still lots of fun, especially in Sport mode.

As far as actual power bump, it's probably negligible over stock but I prefer the sound and extra kick at 4K.
Thanks for the info. I’d like to take out any silencer to get a little under the hood noise but couldn’t find any tubes that work with the stock box. This seemed like a good route but I’m not trying to spend $400 😂

21 - 29 of 29 Posts