Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I just sealed the deal on a 2021 Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve V6, Black exterior/Tupelo interior.

Sounds completely nuts but I will be picking it up in Greer, SC. My local dealer had the same one but the other dealer beat him by $4,000. The GM put 2k miles on it which is not necessarily bad. If it would be full of glitches, he probably would have them fixed by now - LOL!

Those two were the only ones left in a 500 mile radius that still had all options (Adaptive Damping, ELSD rear, Air Suspension) and the light interior.

I usually order my vehicles but right now, I don't think it's going to get better any time soon.

I'll keep you updated!

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Sounds like you scored big-time! Congrats!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Nice ride and 4 grand no less.
I wouldn't worry about the 2K miles.

I've had good luck so far with my WK2 demo which had 3K miles on it and my F150 was located across the State and driven to my local dealership with 450 miles on the clock.
Demo's especially need to be in tip top shape for a sale.

I think you might be right in that any glitches would be pre worked out before final delivery.
Enjoy your new ride.

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

I usually lease my vehicles but it turned out that financing is the way to go right now for me. The 36month/12k miles lease I was quoted was only $30/month less than the 72 month financing with the same out of pocket so I'm probably going with that.
I have the odd feeling that this vehicle is going to hold its value pretty well - especially if the shortages are going to continue for a while.

Of course, in this market and with this demand, there was not much room for huge discounts or affiliate pricing which nobody was willing to accept on that car. In the end, I paid $600 below MSRP and they threw in a requested wheel & tire insurance. At this point, I'm just happy I still got my hands on a fully equipped one.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!

So today was finally the day: Picked up the new GC L SR and drove it back home (pics will follow soon) .As you know, I bought it out of State so it was a 600 mile trip.

The darker it got, obviously, the brighter the NAV/center display appeared and to a certain degree, the speedometer, too. The headlight switch was set to "Auto" and the screen brightness to "Automatic", too, so I assumed the moment the headlights turned on automatically, the screens would dim.

Unfortunately, they did not and I was forced to switch the display setting to "manual" and select level 5 as brightness when the headlights were on. Guess what? Nothing changed!

Next, I turned the headlight dial from Auto one position to the left which is regular on. Now, the speedometer dimmed down to the manual setting of 5 but once again, the NAV-screen in the center remained super bright. I was actually forced to shut the screen off by pushing the physical display off-button.

What could be the reason for that? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Update!

So today was finally the day: Picked up the new GC L SR and drove it back home (pics will follow soon) .As you know, I bought it out of State so it was a 600 mile trip.

The darker it got, obviously, the brighter the NAV/center display appeared and to a certain degree, the speedometer, too. The headlight switch was set to "Auto" and the screen brightness to "Automatic", too, so I assumed the moment the headlights turned on automatically, the screens would dim.

Unfortunately, they did not and I was forced to switch the display setting to "manual" and select level 5 as brightness when the headlights were on. Guess what? Nothing changed!

Next, I turned the headlight dial from Auto one position to the left which is regular on. Now, the speedometer dimmed down to the manual setting of 5 but once again, the NAV-screen in the center remained super bright. I was actually forced to shut the screen off by pushing the physical display off-button.

Thanks in advance!
How did it drive on the 600 mile trip? Was there an improvement in ride quality over the wk2?

One I drove was new.....not broken in. Since yours had 2k on it curious if it made a difference?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I have a WK2 but i doubt the WL's lighting system is all that different.
I have my headlight switch always on Auto and set the brightness of the displays manually both with headlights on and headlights off and it all works as expected.

One thing i noticed there appears to be two light sensors or systems controlling the brightness of the displays.
One controls the brightness with headlights off and the other with headlights on all depending on how dark it gets outside or inside the cabin.
There's probably a tricky brightness balancing act at varying or slowly changing outside light conditions like dusk and sunrise.

Unless i'm missing something it looks like there might be an issue with your Jeep, i'd get it checked out at the dealership before the B to B warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Update!

Thanks in advance!
Hi, GCOverland. If you plan to visit the dealer for assistance with this, we are happy to provide support. Send us a private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Reactions: GCOverland

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, folks (and Jeep Cares)! ;)

I will play with the various settings tonight and if I can't fix it, will probably show you a video of the issue.

I am planning on taking the vehicle to my local dealer soon. There is a little alignment-issue with the trunk and and another cosmetic issue that needs to be fixed.

The WL is still a new vehicle so some issues were to be expected but so far, I'm enjoying it. Besides what I mentioned, the interior fit & finish is top notch and proving my point that this particular vehicle is everything but overpriced.

Somebody asked about the drive home and it was very convenient. Turned out that the demonstrator only had 1,250 miles on the clock so far which means that after the long drive, I'm still below 2,000. At higher speed, I noticed some wind noise from the sunroof but not always so maybe that was caused by sidewind? A positive surprise were the seats. After many hours, I still had no issues at all. Our second vehicle is a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Black label with "30 way power seats". They look fancier than the ones on the Jeep but they sure ain't more comfortable. The 19 speaker sound system is great as well. Lots of bass but you can still enjoy much detail. Coming from a 523HP BMW X7, I would be lying if I would claim that I'm not missing some of the power. However, I did not want another V8 with poor gas mileage. I'm not towing anything so I will be fine with the Pentastar in the long run. After all, that's what I had on the white Summit you can see in my current avatar and that was fine, too.

Once everything is worked out on this vehicle software-wise, all features will be available again and Jeep adds the hybrid powertrain (4xe), rear entertainment screens and the front passenger screen, It's safe to say I already know what is going to be next...:)

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

I got it fixed! Initially, I was just playing around with the dial next to the light control that adjusted the ambient light. Stupid me did not notice that the OTHER, RIGHT dial was all the way up and klicked in to the MAX position for controller lights. Just a klick down and everything is fine! Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Thanks for the input, folks (and Jeep Cares)! ;)

I will play with the various settings tonight and if I can't fix it, will probably show you a video of the issue.

I am planning on taking the vehicle to my local dealer soon. There is a little alignment-issue with the trunk and and another cosmetic issue that needs to be fixed.

The WL is still a new vehicle so some issues were to be expected but so far, I'm enjoying it. Besides what I mentioned, the interior fit & finish is top notch and proving my point that this particular vehicle is everything but overpriced.

Somebody asked about the drive home and it was very convenient. Turned out that the demonstrator only had 1,250 miles on the clock so far which means that after the long drive, I'm still below 2,000. At higher speed, I noticed some wind noise from the sunroof but not always so maybe that was caused by sidewind? A positive surprise were the seats. After many hours, I still had no issues at all. Our second vehicle is a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Black label with "30 way power seats". They look fancier than the ones on the Jeep but they sure ain't more comfortable. The 19 speaker sound system is great as well. Lots of bass but you can still enjoy much detail. Coming from a 523HP BMW X7, I would be lying if I would claim that I'm not missing some of the power. However, I did not want another V8 with poor gas mileage. I'm not towing anything so I will be fine with the Pentastar in the long run. After all, that's what I had on the white Summit you can see in my current avatar and that was fine, too.

Once everything is worked out on this vehicle software-wise, all features will be available again and Jeep adds the hybrid powertrain (4xe), rear entertainment screens and the front passenger screen, It's safe to say I already know what is going to be next...:)
I must have read your post on the BMW Forum too….

we have a 21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe and a 21 BMW X7 M50i as well, and like you, am contemplating making the move to the new Grand Cherokee L. Did you trade the X7 to the dealer or sell on your own? How is the interior vas the BMW, tech, handling, etc? I feel like the BMW is a sports car, it’s amazing, better than my 15 SRT I used to have. Can you comment on your perspective for me?

thanks

John

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must have read your post on the BMW Forum too….

we have a 21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe and a 21 BMW X7 M50i as well, and like you, am contemplating making the move to the new Grand Cherokee L. Did you trade the X7 to the dealer or sell on your own? How is the interior vas the BMW, tech, handling, etc? I feel like the BMW is a sports car, it’s amazing, better than my 15 SRT I used to have. Can you comment on your perspective for me?

thanks

John
Yes, you probably ready my post over there... ;)

I sold my BMW to a local dealership. Selling it on my own would have been a bit complicated because it was leased so the easiest way was through a BMW dealer. Just with the new Jeep, I shopped around for the highest offer on the BMW and in the end, they paid off my lease and cut me a check for an additional $1,800.

I really like the interior on the Jeep. Technology-wise, they are not too far apart. Of course, the BMW had a few features the Jeep doesn't (all wheel steering, rear entertainment, power rear seats and shades etc.) but there are a few things the Jeep has that were not on the BMW (fam-cam, digital rear view mirror, Alexa integrated through the hotspot while you still need a phone on the BMW). Of course, the biggest difference you notice is the power. I picked the V6 on the Jeep so I went from 523HP to 290. But again, I'm starting to get used to it. The Jeep drives very solid and looks just as massive as the BMW. After all, it's even a bit longer...

Compared to the BMW, I'm saving about $500/month which makes it well worth it!

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I'd say I still owe you folks some pictures. Had my first car-wash today so here we go...

Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Plant Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Grille Hood Vehicle Car Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Trailhawk
1,003 Posts
Saving $500 a month on a car payment? Holy crap! You must have mortgage payments for a car! That’s crazy!

·
Jeep Addict
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saving $500 a month on a car payment? Holy crap! You must have mortgage payments for a car! That’s crazy!
LOL! Well, the SUV I traded in was a 2020 BMW X7 M50i with a sticker of $123K. The lease was $1,500/month. I'm still watching the BMW forums and I guy just leased a slightly cheaper one for $2,000/month. I got 10% off on mine - he barely got any discount. Shows you what happened in the market...

• Wow
Reactions: subbie09

·
Registered
Trailhawk
1,003 Posts
LOL! Well, the SUV I traded in was a 2020 BMW X7 M50i with a sticker of $123K. The lease was $1,500/month. I'm still watching the BMW forums and I guy just leased a slightly cheaper one for $2,000/month. I got 10% off on mine - he barely got any discount. Shows you what happened in the market...
Holy crap that is more than my mortgage lol
holy crap batman. That is my mortgage payment lol

it’s a n
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
747 Posts
That’s not 2k/month for a BMW Subbie, that’s 2k/month for a LEASE! No equity.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts