Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm hoping if there anybody who can offer me some guidance....I have a 2015 limited (love it and never had any issues) with just over 39k miles. Needless to say it's time for new front brakes. My question is, Does anyone know if FCA will void or question my maxcare warranty if I replace the pads and rotors myself ? I plan on using Mopar parts. For what it's worth, I've worked on every vehicle I've ever owned in the past and am a licensed aircraft mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Dr. K.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
No, it will not "void" your Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract. In the US, that wouldn't be lawful. Keep records just as if you had the dealer or other qualified entity to do the work.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Well it would void the warranty for the work you've done yourself and ramifications from that work.... ....for a set of brake pad and rotors, I can't imagine anything but the labor on the brake pads and rotors... ...perhaps if you had a torn dust shield or a brake hose obviously damaged by letting the caliper hang from it, they may give you a problem for those things.... ...but I don't think you're likely to run into any problem...

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
It will not. I've swapped to different rear calipers than originally equipped so it is to be expected that MaxCare would not cover those in the even of a failure. But it's cheaper for me to replace a caliper than to pay the $100 deductible anyways.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Well it would void the warranty for the work you've done yourself and ramifications from that work.... ....for a set of brake pad and rotors, I can't imagine anything but the labor on the brake pads and rotors... ...perhaps if you had a torn dust shield or a brake hose obviously damaged by letting the caliper hang from it, they may give you a problem for those things.... ...but I don't think you're likely to run into any problem...
Brakes are not included in the extended service contract (or OEM warranty) but yes, if it could be proven that there was negligence with the work, they might put up a fight over any damages caused by the work. But they cannot "void" the contract for non-related things, like the entertainment system for shoddy work on the brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much thanks to all who replied. I went with OEM parts so that if ever a question arises it's all Mopar, err FCA. Next on the list....tires.

·
Registered
933 Posts
As others have said, consumable items like brakes are not covered past the bumper to bumper in any ext. warranty i've seen.
However i'd keep the part receipts just in case if nothing else for your maints. records.
Replacing the brake parts with Mopar OEMs would be added insurance though not necessary.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello all,

I'm hoping if there anybody who can offer me some guidance....I have a 2015 limited (love it and never had any issues) with just over 39k miles. Needless to say it's time for new front brakes. My question is, Does anyone know if FCA will void or question my maxcare warranty if I replace the pads and rotors myself ? I plan on using Mopar parts. For what it's worth, I've worked on every vehicle I've ever owned in the past and am a licensed aircraft mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Dr. K.
On paper, you should always keep all the original copies of service receipt/proof if you were doing maintenance yourself. But reality is, dealer really don’t ask for those if they are doing any under-warranty repair, trust me.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,020 Posts
On paper, you should always keep all the original copies of service receipt/proof if you were doing maintenance yourself. But reality is, dealer really don’t ask for those if they are doing any under-warranty repair, trust me.
The problem would come in if the warranty is denied for some reason and you have to prove that you complied with the service requirements. It happens rarely, but it does happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts