Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a problem with the rear passenger window on my 99 GC Laredo 4.0. When I turn the key on, the window will go down. It will not go back up with the button until the warning lights go out and the beeping stops. It's intermittent and happens only when turning on the key. Otherwise the window works fine. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,798 Posts
I can't shed any light on the problem but was wondering, is it just that one window that acts that way? If you tried the other rear window it would go up and down while the warning lights are on and things are beeping?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It could be either the front driver or that rear door switch pod is bad.
Don't know about the WJ but this is a common issue with your year XJ's.
Another common issue is broken harness wires in the door jam harness.
Try wiggling those harnesses and see if that affects the issue.
Been there seen similar on my XJ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jimntempe: That window is the only one. I never tried the other windows to see if they worked before everything stops. Will try that tomorrow. moparado: I think you're onto something with the switch pods. I don't think it's bad wiring because it never happens any other time. Drove it today and it never bothered once. I will check those out . Thanks to both of you for your replys

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
With the XJ switch pods at least the front driver one, its usually a cold or separated solder joint on its printed circuit board.
Or a broken wire in the front driver's door jam harness can cause window issues.
Been there fixed that too but that time it was the driver's door speaker intermittently cutting out.

The issue with my XJ was the passenger could not control their window up or down.
As odd as it might seem to some, yep a bad driver's switch pod can cause that.

Some take the XJ pod apart and go at the printed circuit board with a soldering iron.
I tried that and at some point during taking it apart i realized its gonna be a PITA getting it apart.
So i picked up a brand new 3rd party pod from fleabay for i think it was around $40.
That was 4 or 5 years and over 100K miles ago and still working fine.
Best $40 i ever spent and as a plus with the new pod i forgot those pods are supposed to have LED lighted switches.

I also had the driver's pod go out on my long gone '05 Dodge Neon.
I got that replacement switch pod from Advance Auto.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the windows this morning. When I turned on the key the rear window started down, but when I hit the button for the driver window, the rear window stopped. Other windows work fine while dash lights are blinking and beeper going. I found a master switch on ebay like you suggested, moparado. Hope that cures it. Thanks for your help. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well moparado, you were right on. Put in new door module today and everything works like it should. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well moparado, you were right on. Put in new door module today and everything works like it should. Thanks so much for your help.
Excellent! Good job! Now enjoy your Jeep windows and all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Havin trouble leaving it alone. Got a vari-lok rear end yesterday. Tore the old one out today.New bearings and seals,lower control arms, upper a-arm and ball joint and she'll be ready to go back together. Can't be a decent Jeep with open diff!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Havin trouble leaving it alone. Got a vari-lok rear end yesterday. Tore the old one out today.New bearings and seals,lower control arms, upper a-arm and ball joint and she'll be ready to go back together. Can't be a decent Jeep with open diff!
I agree an open rear diff should not be in a 'real' Jeep.
You could of also replaced your diff with a junk yard Chrysler 8.25 Tru lock LSD diff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My new axle is a 3.73, original was 3.55 (now I'll have to put a vari-lok in the front too. Woo Hoo!) Question is, how do I re-calibrate the speedo?

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
632 Posts
Superchips Flashcal if they make it for yours or the Flashpaq which also tunes.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My new axle is a 3.73, original was 3.55 (now I'll have to put a vari-lok in the front too. Woo Hoo!) Question is, how do I re-calibrate the speedo?
With my XJ, the right way to calibrate is to change the speedo gear ratio's in the transmission or is it in the Tcase i forget.
Seem to remember Morris 4x4 has a write up on that somewhere on their web site.
The other little more costly option is what CHeYeNNe71 said which basically amounts to a PCM tune.

Yeah when using any 4x4 option mode make sure the front differential is changed to 3.73.
Unless you plan on doing some serious rock crawling, the Dana 30 front diff. which is typical on these Jeeps is adequate for most moderate off roading when its engaged in 4 wheel. It relies on the weight of the engine for increased traction.
Maybe a cheaper option is to just change the ring and pinion gears to 3.73

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Superchips Flashcal if they make it for yours or the Flashpaq which also tunes.
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with that, so I'll have to do some research
With my XJ, the right way to calibrate is to change the speedo gear ratio's in the transmission or is it in the Tcase i forget.
Seem to remember Morris 4x4 has a write up on that somewhere on their web site.
The other little more costly option is what CHeYeNNe71 said which basically amounts to a PCM tune.

Yeah when using any 4x4 option mode make sure the front differential is changed to 3.73.
Unless you plan on doing some serious rock crawling, the Dana 30 front diff. which is typical on these Jeeps is adequate for most moderate off roading when its engaged in 4 wheel. It relies on the weight of the engine for increased traction.
Maybe a cheaper option is to just change the ring and pinion gears to 3.73
I can get a complete axle for $225. My plan was to get this and replace ball joints,tie rod ends, bushings,ect and then just be able to swap the whole thing in a day or two. I'm old and don't work too fast anymore lol. I'll have to check the shop manual about possible gear. Just figured it was all electronic. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with that, so I'll have to do some research

I can get a complete axle for $225. My plan was to get this and replace ball joints,tie rod ends, bushings,ect and then just be able to swap the whole thing in a day or two. I'm old and don't work too fast anymore lol. I'll have to check the shop manual about possible gear. Just figured it was all electronic. Thanks for your reply.
You probably know this already but just in case make absolutely sure the front differential gear ratio matches the rear differential gear ratio which you said is 3.73.
Otherwise if the front and rear ratios don't match then put in 4x4 no telling whats gonna grenade first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that would be bad. One I'm looking at is 3:73 also. Taking front driveshaft off until done just to be safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts