Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 WK2. When I try to spray the front windshield with fluid I can hear the pump activate but no washer fluid comes out. When I use the rear window washer it sprays the front windshield as well. So I have to turn on the front wipers and wash both windows at the same time.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,947 Posts
Have you been using the rainex washer fluid? There is a TSB out saying the waxes they use in that product clogs the pumps.
I would say to check under the hood, the hoses to the washer nozzle often come detached, this is after the plastic nozzle themselves become brittel and the hose barb actually breaks off the nozzle, allowing the water pressure to force the hose and nozzle apart. But you're getting water out of the nozzles when you turn on the rear spray? So the hoses must still be attached.

Here is a pure guess, because I do NOT know for sure how the windshield washer pumps actually work. It appears to me there is only washer motor, with both lines attached to it, for both front and rear, and only wires to the motor. The only way I can figure that can work is if, there are check valves in the assembly and the motor is reversible, i.e. for the front the motor turns one direction and pumps the fluid to the front, its turning the rear pump at the same time, but in reverse of the pumps direction, the check valve prevents it from pump fluid in the wrong direction. You go to clean the rear window, the motor turns the opposite direction and now the pumps and check valves reverse pumping fluid to the rear, but the check valve stops the front from pumping in reverse. If I'm right, then a bad check valve for the front might allow fluid to flow while you pumping to the rear, and the bad check valve might stop fluid pumping to the front while the pump turns the normal direction?

Also, I've had windshield washer pumps make noise and not pump. Had it on a minivan, tried everything, could not find the clog or the reason why the fluid was not pumping, figured it couldn't be the motor/pump because I could hear that running when I turned it on. Out of desperation, I bought a new motor/pump, since they are fairly cheap, figured it would be a waste of money, but to my surprised, the new motor/pump fixed the problem.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Not sure about a 2012, but for 2014 and later:

The washer pump/motor unit is located on the top of a sump area on the outboard side of the washer reservoir, which is located between the left front fender and the fender inner shield ahead of the left front wheel and the front wheel house splash shield. A small permanently lubricated and sealed reversible electric motor (3) is coupled to the rotor-type washer pump (4). The use of an integral valve body (7) allows the washer pump/motor unit to provide washer fluid to either the front or the rear washer systems, depending upon the direction of the pump impeller rotation.

The washer pump/motor unit cannot be repaired. If ineffective or damaged, the entire washer pump/motor unit must be replaced. The rubber grommet seal/filter screen is available for separate service replacement.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,947 Posts
Not sure about a 2012, but for 2014 and later:
The part number is the same between 2012 and 2014.

Thanks Tomk, so its really looking like for the O.P. the problem is the integrated valve body, one of the valve must of gummed up or broke/got jammed. It really looks like the most likely cause and will require a new washer motor/pump (the integrated valve body should be part of the pump). From Rockauto, Aftermarket looks to be $10-$25, Mopar $85, Dealer probably a lot more.

And again, don't use rainx washer fluid in the WK2 or Chrysler/FCA vehicles. It contains waxes in it that can clog the valves and pumps of the washer system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you checked the nozzles?! Don't replace the pump until you've checked then!

Lift the bonnet (or hood for US folk), gently pull the pipe off the nozzle - the one closest to the tank, and operate the spray.

Becareful are the pipes aren't the most flexible. I suspect its grit or some other gunk in the tank. It could be you don't have a sealed pipe too. The wk2 tends to leak at the connector into the water tank / bottle. If its full, run the pump and see what happens - any water coming out near the front?

I had nozzles that were blocked and uv degraded. It was a quick two min fix.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just re read the bit about the front washers working with the rear!! Oops!

It's an electrical issue. Check your battery first. Then your switch. It could well be the good old battery disconnect for 30seconds might do it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,947 Posts
Just re read the bit about the front washers working with the rear!! Oops!

It's an electrical issue. Check your battery first. Then your switch. It could well be the good old battery disconnect for 30seconds might do it.
Reread the post quoting the theory of operation from the FSM, its far more likely a bad check valve in the pump/motor unit. The motor turns one direction to pump fluid one direction, check valves prevent and allow fluid to flow toward one direction, say the front, then when you want to wash the rear, the motor and pump turns the opposite direction reversing flow the opposite direction and check valves prevent/allow flow only to the rear.

A stuck check valve could stop flow to the front, then when you reverse the pump for the rear, allow flow to the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts