Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a '19 JGC Summit with 15k miles. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle brand new, I started to notice a fairly noticeable continuous streak on the driver side portion of the windshield (exterior), mainly when it rained or use a heavy amount of windshield washer fluid to remove bugs etc. I have changed wipers 3 times, Bosch, Rain X, Jeep OEM and the streak goes away for maybe a day or two, but then comes back!

I have brought my Jeep to the dealership twice about this along with trying to clean the windshield myself with a light amount of white vinegar. The first time the dealership said they polished my glass, I was happy it went away however it came back not too long after. The second time they claimed it was my Bosch Icon wipers and sold me OEM wipers. This helped once again, however the 4-5" streak started back up again. I'm at about my wits end because during a heavy rain storm the streak is extremely annoying and slightly unsafe in my opinion.

Is there a possibility I have a defective driver side wiper? Potential foreign material from delivery/factory? I also read up that using #0000 steel wool may solve my issue, but I don't want to make things worse than they already are. What is your opinion on my next course option short of replacing the windshield for my own benefit. I have a documented history with the dealership I bought the Jeep from on this concern but I don't think they're going to go for a warranty glass replacement. Comments/suggestions are welcome please!

- Justin

·
Registered
GC Overland
162 Posts
Given what you've said it's likely not the rubber wiper blade itself but possibly a windshield flaw or the part of the wiper arm that the blade attaches to. Not sure whether you replaced the blade assembly or just the blade insert but visually check the arms just to be sure nothing is touching the glass. You can try using a single edged razor blade where the streak appears and auto parts stores usually sell a glass polishing kit that includes an abrasive paste to address minor surface imperfections.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given what you've said it's likely not the rubber wiper blade itself but possibly a windshield flaw or the part of the wiper arm that the blade attaches to. Not sure whether you replaced the blade assembly or just the blade insert but visually check the arms just to be sure nothing is touching the glass. You can try using a single edged razor blade where the streak appears and auto parts stores usually sell a glass polishing kit that includes an abrasive paste to address minor surface imperfections.
Thanks. The first time I brought this concern up with the dealership they claimed to have polished my windshield however the streak came back. Nothing is touching the wipers arms this vehicle had this issue from the beginning when I purchased it with 150 miles. I replaced the entire wiper blades 4 times now. Currently I have Jeep OEM wipers per their recommendation the last time I brought it there for this concern.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing recently. Used Ceriglass polish with their rayon glass pads or you can do it by hand. Just polish the drivers side properly and you can use a glass wax or rain-x after to coat. But I also installed a new wiper blade after and so far it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got to the root of this issue at the dealership today. They replaced the driver side wiper arm with a new one on top of using steel wool #0000 just in case. The windshield clears absolutely perfect and the defect/malfunction is gone. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help it appears the wiper arm was malfunctioning and most likely didn't have the proper tension to clear the driver side properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally got to the root of this issue at the dealership today. They replaced the driver side wiper arm with a new one on top of using steel wool #0000 just in case. The windshield clears absolutely perfect and the defect/malfunction is gone. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help it appears the wiper arm was malfunctioning and most likely didn't have the proper tension to clear the driver side properly.
Was yours streaking on the driver side right where the arm meets the blade? I have this issue on my '17, was the arm replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it was the driver side my friend. The owner of the dealership took one right off of another '19 Grand Cherokee and for extra measures, used #0000 steel wool at the body shop they drove me to. It took about an hour and was no cost whatsoever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts