Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like CarPlay in the new Trailhawk just wish it was wireless. I installed an Alpine iLX-107 HU in my 2016 Wrangler and miss that wireless CarPlay in the Grand Cherokee. I also installed a wireless charger in the Wrangler for my iPhone XS Max and my wife’s iPhone X so it’s completely cord free.

Wondering if anybody has tried using a Bluetooth Dongle in the USB port to stream wirelessly to CarPlay? I tried searching the forum first but didn’t find anything.

Thinking about this further. The Alpine HU first connects with Bluetooth then switches to wi-fi according to what I’ve read. Maybe CarPlay requires more info to pass than Bluetooth is capable of with maps and other apps.

I found this article that goes into depth on the subject. Editing my post to include a link to the article for anyone else trying to figure this out.
https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-make-apple-carplay-wireless/

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
264 Posts
Pretty sure the head unit has to interpret the CarPlay signal and if it’s not programmed for it then it’s a no go. Same reason you can’t upgrade it using software, it’s a hardware based function. Besides if you use your CarPlay for audio you get a much better sound from wired than a Bluetooth/wireless connection. Definitely understand the convenience of it though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure the head unit has to interpret the CarPlay signal and if it’s not programmed for it then it’s a no go. Same reason you can’t upgrade it using software, it’s a hardware based function. Besides if you use your CarPlay for audio you get a much better sound from wired than a Bluetooth/wireless connection. Definitely understand the convenience of it though.
I disagree with the sound quality statement. The Alpine H/U uses Bluetooth to establish a WiFi connection then streams over WiFi. It sounds as good over WiFi as with the USB cable.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
264 Posts
I disagree with the sound quality statement. The Alpine H/U uses Bluetooth to establish a WiFi connection then streams over WiFi. It sounds as good over WiFi as with the USB cable.
I don’t think you’ll find a study out there that supports your opinion. However, sound is subjective so if you like it then great but it still has to compress the audio when it transfers wirelessly so adding a wired connection helps by eliminating that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wifi has a much larger bandwidth than Bluetooth giving it the ability to stream lossless audio. This means all the information that leaves the audio source will be received by your audio amp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s been a while since I searched Amazon for something described in my original post. Found this and ordered one, hope it works.

Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Dongle Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen, Support Online Upgrade Dongle, iOS 13, Original car Button Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082N1NSM1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_PQsYEb68M5CD6

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wireless dongle I linked above arrived yesterday, and first couple drives I can happily say it works and sounds great. I simply plugged it in and it’s started working without any setup required by me. It does create a wi-fi network confirmed by looking at my wi-fi settings on my iPhone, so it should be lossless audio. Connects when I start the GC and automatically resumes music where I left off. Will put through the tests of phone calls, Waze and text messaging next week, but first tries yesterday worked normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts