Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out here as it seems to defy all logic, I’m replacing both calipers, pads, and rotors, so this will likely be remedied but I’m hoping someone can offer insight to the cause as it’s driving me crazy. 2000 WJ 4.7L with ATE/Teves type calipers. As you can see in pictures, 2 identical grooves in both front rotors, inside pads, and pads are worn with ridges in pads where rotor grooves are. Ungrooved parts of rotor are rusted as if the pads and rotors are not touching there, so they are only touching in the grooves. My only hypothesis is that I have defective inside pads that have hard spots causing the pads to not wear on the hard spots and just cut grooves there. What do you all think?
Automotive tire Light Wheel Tread Rim

Automotive tire Bumper Fender Wood Tints and shades

Black Wall Tints and shades Monochrome photography Font

· Registered
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 4x4
39 Posts
Those early style WJ calipers were known to flex and bend if I'm not mistaken. Which is why they went to calipers made by Akebono later. Maybe that has something to do with it?

· Premium Member
SRT8
3,132 Posts
Teve's Calipers suck Buy 2004 WJ Akebono calipers and brackets and be done with it Actual slide pins and Better overall design no spring clips etc.

There was a TSB about this Many Many Moons ago and the fix was to install updated Akebono's They will fit any year 99-04 And be done with it. For the rears 99-04 no Options stuck with the teves that lock up and do all kinda stupid crap. Akebono On the left shiny silver Teeves on right.

Auto part Bicycle part Fashion accessory Titanium Metal

· Registered
523 Posts
Yes go to the Akebono,when I bought my 02 brad new off the lot, negotiated the swap as final part of the deal, sales guy has no clue, educated him on the difference. He was amazed a custome new something like that, fortunately I was on the forums and had all the part #s and cut off date when they switched.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts