Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

· Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is an example enclosure that fits into the WK cargo area flush with the angled floor as well as the angled rear seats.

• This enclosure is meant to house woofers up to 10 inches. The design can be modified to house a 12 inch woofer
  • The total (gross) volume of this particular enclosure is 1.145 ft^3
  • This design uses 3/4 inch stock
  • Note the mounting depth when shopping for woofers: I wouldn't go any bigger than 5.5 inches with this design
  • When selecting a woofer(s) remember to account for displacement
  • Keep in mind, any bracing will reduce the volume of the enclosure
  • This design allows the owner to retain the ability to use the factory cargo tray
  • This design allows the owner to retain the ability to use the cargo shade

Wing template PDF is attached at the bottom of this post.

Attachments

· Registered
2014 SRT WK2
5,070 Posts
I am not going to apologize; but thank you as I will too use these exact dimensions. How do you make the angle cuts? Do I have to have a table saw? All I have right now is a rechargeable skill saw...can it be done?

· Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not going to apologize; but thank you as I will too use these exact dimensions. How do you make the angle cuts? Do I have to have a table saw? All I have right now is a rechargeable skill saw...can it be done?
I wish I had a table saw, would have made it a lot easier with the angle cuts.

But no, I did it will a cheapy circular saw; There's an blade angle adjustment on it.

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
awesome Matty! Come up here and build me one.....

· Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BAD ASS dude... thanks so much.

Gonna have to modify it a little bit to fit 12's
Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. I measured while I was out there and you can still make it so you can fit a 12" driver and still retain the cargo shade.

Just make sure that you have enough airspace for whatever sub(s) you go with.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
My subs have a 6 1/8" mounting depth. Mounting hole needs to be 11 11/16". Overall diameter + the mounting ring is 12 11/16".

I think I'd just add like 1 or 1.25" to the top (red) and bottom (blue) pieces, and make the whole thing about 1.5" taller.

Looking up what kind of volume my subs need now.

Found it - recommended volume for a sealed box is .85 ft^3. Does that double with two subs?

· Registered
1,368 Posts
about freakin damn time! LOL kidding..

Thanks for the info's Matt, I too am going to copy it exactly. You used MDF 3/4'' correct? How much do you recall it cost at home depot/lowes?

Maybe you could add some more info for us that are going to be first time box builders in the near future! Like.. what material is used to seal the seams on the inside, and what I am really interested in is about the install of the speaker wire terminals and the install of those. Can those be had from say, radio shack?

· Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My subs have a 6 1/8" mounting depth. Mounting hole needs to be 11 11/16". Overall diameter + the mounting ring is 12 11/16".

I think I'd just add like 1 or 1.25" to the top (red) and bottom (blue) pieces, and make the whole thing about 1.5" taller.

Looking up what kind of volume my subs need now.

Found it - recommended volume for a sealed box is .85 ft^3. Does that double with two subs?
Yeah, definitely watch out for mounting depth. The vent pole (on the back of the subs magnet) needs about 1-1.5 inches of breathing room.

Yes, volume doubles with adding another. You may want to consider extending the enclosure outwards, but then you'd have to account for the angle of the floor changing to flat (from incline) - that would kinda suck.

about freakin damn time! LOL kidding..

Thanks for the info's Matt, I too am going to copy it exactly. You used MDF 3/4'' correct? How much do you recall it cost at home depot/lowes?

Maybe you could add some more info for us that are going to be first time box builders in the near future! Like.. what material is used to seal the seams on the inside, and what I am really interested in is about the install of the speaker wire terminals and the install of those. Can those be had from say, radio shack?
haha, no prob Chris!

Yes, I used 3/4 MDF - it's about 20-30 bucks for a sheet at the local hardware store. I think Lowes sells quarter sheets, so that may be easier for some to work with.

Yeah, I'll add some more info to the original post about consteruction for sure! I'll probably get to it tomorrow. I'll let ya know when it's been added.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
Do you happen to know the max height of the box without interfering with the cargo cover? Even if I have to ditch the cargo cover I'm not that concerned - that is how I'm rolling now.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm gonna get to drawing tomorrow night with some graph paper... I'm thinking I'm gonna have to bring the box out to the edge of the cargo tray to have enough depth.

· Registered
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Matt.. Jigsaw for the hole? Im guessing sub's come with a template or some dimensions for the hole they require for mounting?
Yup! I used a $15 jigsaw. The spec sheet will have cutout hole size on there. It's usually one inch smaller than the overall diameter. Sandpaper (or electric hand sander) is a good investment as well.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.