Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

So I am trying to replace the front grille on my WK.
Need to get rid of this chrome like the plague, and get a weave/mesh insert

I have read that the SRT8 grille is a direct fit, and that the mesh is also found on the overland

I want black, and am wondering what my best approach on this is.
Do you order the black srt8 - part# 1CH981X8AA
Do you order the black Overland - part #5JF94ZZZAE
Do you just go aftermarket?
The best looking aftermarket I have found is RaceMesh, gothic, with black chrome (or maybe even their silver leopard, since my jeep is silver and black). Problem is, I do not like the idea of strapping $600 to the front of my jeep.

What exactly is the difference between a black Overland, and a black SRT8 grille?

Please, please do not suggest the billet inserts. Even if they are black.

Thanks for reading all!

Sending you mail this weekend Scott =]

·
Registered
184 Posts
I believe you have to get the right grill for your year. 05-07, 08-10 are different I read somewhere. I know the lights & bumper are different & someone said the grill was also needed to do a facelift conversion but not sure how true it is. I was also under the impression that overland were silver / brushed ally style & srt were colour coded. If they are both listed as black they should be the same but I would buy the srt one to be 100%. They are all interchangeable & you can even separate the chrome overlay from the mesh. I fitted an overland one on my limited then swapped the covers over so it matched the rest of the chrome. I have since plastidipped it though so was kinda pointless lol

Edit: definitely different for fl/pfl
http://www.wkjeeps.com/2008/2008_wk_012.jpg

·
Registered
573 Posts
wow, that race mesh is expensive.
I also want to switch out the upper grille on a 17 limited to the honeycomb.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe you have to get the right grill for your year. 05-07, 08-10 are different I read somewhere. I know the lights & bumper are different & someone said the grill was also needed to do a facelift conversion but not sure how true it is. I was also under the impression that overland were silver / brushed ally style & srt were colour coded. If they are both listed as black they should be the same but I would buy the srt one to be 100%. They are all interchangeable & you can even separate the chrome overlay from the mesh. I fitted an overland one on my limited then swapped the covers over so it matched the rest of the chrome. I have since plastidipped it though so was kinda pointless lol

Edit: definitely different for fl/pfl
http://www.wkjeeps.com/2008/2008_wk_012.jpg
Thanks for the pics. The taillight assembly wiring is also different between 05-06, 07, 08-10 lol just a fyi

Can you post a pic of your plastidip'd grill up close?

So maybe the Overland did not even come in black.
All I know is, if I try to buy the limited/laredo 05-07 grille it will be black but no inner mesh. The Overland comes with the inner mesh, but maybe only chrome/platinum outer. The SRT is black w/ black inner mesh, but still about $300 for just the stock look.

Am I missing any other options here? Do I have this info correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah sure, it's dark here now but will try to grab one tomorrow.

Yeah, lots of small differences just to annoy owners. You can swap the bulb holders over within a couple of minutes though to save changing wiring. I've got European bulb holders & wiring with American lights

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thats ok, its definitely gives you options though for if you decide to buy an overland grill. Alternatively, just pull the front off yours, dremel out the bars, screw some mesh underneath (the front bit will cover the screw heads), then paint it all. Mesh, screws, plastidip will cost you around $20 all in & will take about an hour to do (excluding drying time between coats)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for steel bumper for my 08 limited grand Cherokee. I found a good one for a 05-07 Jeep that the seller says will fit if I change out my grill to a 05-07 one what do you guys think will a 05-07 grill even fit on my 08? Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts