Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2005 jeep GC hemi and I’m having problems when I hit a bump the truck completely cuts off or it will start idling really rough going high rpm to low rpm.
Most of the time when it cuts off it will either throw a ETC light or throw the lights shown in picture

When I had this problem before it was the throttle body I swapped it and put a salvage yard one on it, it ran good for a long while and never cut off or anything now it’s messing up again when I hit bumps it’s cutting off and I’m able to restart it and go back to driving the person I bought it from said it could be the ECM going bad a mechanic friend said sounds like the “throttle control sensor” to him cause I pulled in and it was idling up and down which leads me to think it’s another bad throttle body.
What’s y’all’s take on this anyone know the fix I’m really not trying to drop $500 on a new ECM but it’s pointing to that in my mind

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a list of codes I pulled
P1684
P0218
P0714
P0884
U1415
U1414
U0100
I just replaced the transmission relay fuse

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan for today is to clean all the PDC’s something tells me it’s a wire problem or the throttle body the throttle body seemed like it was fine judging by how long I’ve drove with it on it but it’s giving me the same problems my previous throttle body gave me keep in mind I used a junkyard throttle body I’m hoping to find this problem so I can solve it for anyone else that has the same issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was a bad ECM it wouldn’t make sense for the truck to even turn on let alone drive down the block

·
Registered
JEEP
1,225 Posts
Could be a bad battery. Had an 05 hemi and the battery had a bad cell. It would do random shizz like you mentioned. Battery tested good but when swapped out it ran great again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be a bad battery. Had an 05 hemi and the battery had a bad cell. It would do random shizz like you mentioned. Battery tested good but when swapped out it ran great again
See I’m thinking it’s that, the truck cut off today and won’t even start up it’s either the battery or the crank sensor and cam sensor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crankshaft Position sensor. I repeat...CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. Replace it, relatively cheap. Same issue for me when I first got my 07 Overland WK Hemi (bought 2nd hand). Trust me, after much trial and error and research, that worked.
I even had the OBD2 error codes memorized after all the scanning/trial and error I had previously done to deal with he issue, haha. Best of luck amigo!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crankshaft Position sensor. I repeat...CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. Replace it, relatively cheap. Same issue for me when I first got my 07 Overland WK Hemi (bought 2nd hand). Trust me, after much trial and error and research, that worked.
I even had the OBD2 error codes memorized after all the scanning/trial and error I had previously done to deal with he issue, haha. Best of luck amigo!
Thanks getting on it today what I think it is cause it would back fire and stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright so I changed the crankshaft sensor and the cam shaft sensor!! What a morning LOL it started and ran thank god I was able to drive it around the block but as soon as I hit a bump it threw a ETC light again‼‼ So it’s either the throttle body or something electrical I’m hoping it’s not the ECM I disconnected the harness where it hooks up to the motor and reconnected it an it started back up enough to get back to the house but that’s it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright so I changed the crankshaft sensor and the cam shaft sensor!! What a morning LOL it started and ran thank god I was able to drive it around the block but as soon as I hit a bump it threw a ETC light again So it’s either the throttle body or something electrical I’m hoping it’s not the ECM I disconnected the harness where it hooks up to the motor and reconnected it an it started back up enough to get back to the house but that’s it
Have you disconnected the battery leads for a few minutes then reconnected? Resets PCM/ECU cache and what not. Issue may still be there, but I think that might take care of one of your codes you posted at least.
Also, as unlikely and weird as it may seem...almost every electric related issue I've ever had on the car that was recurring ended up being completely fixed when I installed a new Ignition & new starter. I have tried looking into the engineering reason why that may be, but I'm still dumbfounded despite my tech background at how replacing those 2 parts caused literally 5 of my OBD2 codes to disappear and other car electronic features to start working/work better than before replacing the ignition and starter, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you disconnected the battery leads for a few minutes then reconnected? Resets PCM/ECU cache and what not. Issue may still be there, but I think that might take care of one of your codes you posted at least.
Also, as unlikely and weird as it may seem...almost every electric related issue I've ever had on the car that was recurring ended up being completely fixed when I installed a new Ignition & new starter. I have tried looking into the engineering reason why that may be, but I'm still dumbfounded despite my tech background at how replacing those 2 parts caused literally 5 of my OBD2 codes to disappear and other car electronic features to start working/work better than before replacing the ignition and starter, lol.
the battery was dead last night after trying to start it to many times I jumped it off after replacing those parts this morning and it started no issue I took it for a drive an it did that issue again I am getting the transmission over temp light so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was starter as I’ve heard it causes that light but it could be the battery as well cause it took it a little while to jump the battery off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the battery was dead last night after trying to start it to many times I jumped it off after replacing those parts this morning and it started no issue I took it for a drive an it did that issue again I am getting the transmission over temp light so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was starter as I’ve heard it causes that light but it could be the battery as well cause it took it a little while to jump the battery off

I shook this plug and the truck shut off so it’s something up with this plug

·
Registered
1 Posts
DITTO, I repeat...DITTO. Definitely CPS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright so I got a toothbrush and cleaned the fu** out of the plug then added a little bit of dielectric grease I also anchored the plug to the body so it won’t bounce or anything I think I fixed the issue also I tightened my crank shaft position sensor down could’ve been a lil too loose I just put it on there tighter for better measures went for a drive and no cut offs this time still nervous as a few times it would idle weird but that was during the process of me cleaning that plug in I’ll keep y’all posted

·
Registered
8 Posts
The battery can have a lot to do with it I just bought a new one and it cleared all the misfire and low system voltage codes, however only $500 for a new ECU installed isn't bad, I paid 500 bucks just to have the thermostat and a hose replaced on my GC at jip boys which I will never go back to because they rob you and don't know how to fix cars and do a crappy job on purpose because they hate their jobs. I don't know if it was even necessary though because I read a review about the people who told me my overflow was empty and to get it checked out (at chevron quick lube) in his review he said he knew they emptied his overflow on purpose because like him they tried to charge me 8 bucks per quart to refill it and when I said it's cheaper than that for a gallon of green coolant at most stores he tried to argue with me and say it's way more expensive now because china has been raising prices for fluids and that's why all the oil change shops were out of business even though they're still in business it's because of corona virus they weren't open last year, I wonder who devised that scam tactic but sorry for ranting I would get battery replaced first before anything else. 😃

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The battery can have a lot to do with it I just bought a new one and it cleared all the misfire and low system voltage codes, however only $500 for a new ECU installed isn't bad, I paid 500 bucks just to have the thermostat and a hose replaced on my GC at jip boys which I will never go back to because they rob you and don't know how to fix cars and do a crappy job on purpose because they hate their jobs. I don't know if it was even necessary though because I read a review about the people who told me my overflow was empty and to get it checked out (at chevron quick lube) in his review he said he knew they emptied his overflow on purpose because like him they tried to charge me 8 bucks per quart to refill it and when I said it's cheaper than that for a gallon of green coolant at most stores he tried to argue with me and say it's way more expensive now because china has been raising prices for fluids and that's why all the oil change shops were out of business even though they're still in business it's because of corona virus they weren't open last year, I wonder who devised that scam tactic but sorry for ranting I would get battery replaced first before anything else. 😃
I here ya on that I’ve been doing all my work myself just to keep from having to refix someone’s Fu** ups plus save more money that way, you right not a bad price for a ECM but I’m just cheap is all🤣 I try to save my money incase I really need to spend it I think it could be in need of a new battery I’m gonna replace it sometime next week but after I did what I did to the wiring harness I haven’t had to worry about any issues at all hell I raced a “modified” mustang yesterday and beat him from the light🤣 mustang needed a driver mod

1 - 19 of 19 Posts