Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
4,901 - 4,920 of 5,008 Posts
Nice weekend away camping in Yengo National Park, a few hours north of Sydney. We stayed at Blue Gums campground - you have to book and it is in a valley behind a locked gate. We were the only ones there! Fantastic! It is too far into the park for day trippers and we didn't see another person for a few days. We did the loop road around Mt Yengo - 30ks which took us about 2.5 hours. The track obviously hardly gets used, it was quite overgrown in places so a few bush stripes. We had to use low range and down hill decent a few times and take some steep washouts pretty carefully. Campground was a great grassed clearing. And the stars and satellites we could see were amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Wow, thanks for the info. Actually I've been wanting to go up there also. I was thinking of the Wollemi NP but can't find much info on it. There is a large fire near Putty at the moment so I might give it a miss till they get some rain.

Reactions: 67HR
Re oil and bearing failures, the MY 11-13s also had the 5 sp auto. Wonder if there were any failures with any of these vehicles?

Reactions: BobT
Wow, thanks for the info. Actually I've been wanting to go up there also. I was thinking of the Wollemi NP but can't find much info on it. There is a large fire near Putty at the moment so I might give it a miss till they get some rain.

I'm slightly reluctant to say too much...happy for no one else to know about Yengo. Don't tell anyone - ok?

We could see the bushfire smoke way off in the distance in Wollemi, but no problem where we were. No open fires as there is currently a total fire ban. But that made star spotting better anyway with no fire light to muck up night vision.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

I'm slightly reluctant to say too much...happy for no one else to know about Yengo. Don't tell anyone - ok?
Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more. The beauty of Yengo is it's probably far enough from Singleton to deter the bogans.
Open fires are no problem for me. I'm over that macho stuff and certainly over cleaning soot off cooking utensils. I've got a good gas BBQ with wok burner built into the camper trailer.

What a great find. That settles the speculation.
It mentions only MY14-15 but it would be safe to assume that high load on the main bearing whether by high revs or low revs is problematical across the board. However, the MY11-13 motor has max torque of only 550Nm whereas the MY14+ has 570Nm so the issue should be worse on the later engines. Oops, MY12 has a Bluespark Pro that supposedly gives 639Nm. So far so good but the max. I tow is just 1.6t GMV. The Maserati uses the same engine in 600Nm guise. I wonder what grade oil they specify? Anyone got a Maserati? :)
Can answer my own question. I downloaded the USA service manual for the Masserati Ghibli which has the high performance version of the engine A630 HP. It's dated 10/2014. The car has the 8-speed ZF box. This is what the manual says;
"Entirely synthetic multigrade lubricants SAE 5W/40 that meet API SL/CF and ACEA A3, B3, B4 specifications. Recommended oil: Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40."

Reactions: 67HR
BobT, can changing to 5W-40 then?
Mobil doesn't have one with sulphated ash as low as Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. MY11-13 have passive regen. Will check other brands at the next oil change. Not too worried. Haven't heard of anyone on Oz with crankshaft bearing problems? In fact they are rare is the States.

I'm 5000klm in on my first fill up with Penrite Enviro+ 5W-40.

And 3 Trips to Perth and back in 5 weeks. GC is running like a Swiss watch.

No sign of a regen on the EVIC :thumbsup:

I'm 5000klm in on my first fill up with Penrite Enviro+ 5W-40.

And 3 Trips to Perth and back in 5 weeks. GC is running like a Swiss watch.

No sign of a regen on the EVIC :thumbsup:
Not surprised. What we are talking about here are issues that may raise their head only after long use. If you don't intend to keep your vehicle for more than a few years, don't worry about it.

Hi, i was wondering if anyone had replaced there rear shocks with pedders shocks (either with or without airbags)?
Interested in getting feedback on quality as looking at buying a set for the rear.

Hi, i was wondering if anyone had replaced there rear shocks with pedders shocks (either with or without airbags)?
Interested in getting feedback on quality as looking at buying a set for the rear.
No, but I just checked the Pedders site and they don't seem to offer shocks for the WK2. I've been hanging out for Bilsteins but their web site is a bit iffy on the JGC. Old Man Emu offer complete lift kits but for the steel suspension only. It seems no one is keen to tackle the Quadra-lift. Do your shocks need replacement or are you looking for something stiffer? Let us know how you get on?

No, but I just checked the Pedders site and they don't seem to offer shocks for the WK2. I've been hanging out for Bilsteins but their web site is a bit iffy on the JGC. Old Man Emu offer complete lift kits but for the steel suspension only. It seems no one is keen to tackle the Quadra-lift. Do your shocks need replacement or are you looking for something stiffer? Let us know how you get on?

Confirmed with my local Pedders that they do have them so the site might not be up to date.
Also confirmed with supplier that the CRD stu old man emus fit the rear with air bags.

Wiper Blades
I usually change my blades as needed using inserts. Just changed the originals after 5 years. The last few changes have been problematical with design changes and lack of selection making it a PITA so I went for the full beam and blade replacement. Went looking for Bosch blades which seem to be the go. Online selection help was sketchy till I found the https://www.wipertech.com.au/ site. It was a dream to use. They offer 3 blade kits and the Jeep WK2 was listed. I bought two kits, one for the Jeep and one for the wife's Subie. Fitting was a snack compared to inserts. Instruction are on the site. They are Bosch style beam wipers of their own brand, probably knock-offs but who cares if they work. They do work very well but longevity remains to be seen. The rear blade they sent for the Jeep was 275mm but the original was 300mm, I emailed them. They replied that day offering to send the correct one immediately and correct their web site. Price for the two 3-blade kits was $142.20. Don't know how that compares but for that service, who cares?

I bought Bosch Aerotwin BBA530 and BBA550 for $47 less eBay discount, which I think was 20%.

They were listed for Prado 95 Series and came with 4 types of fittings.

Cheers, Steve

I did the same as Barboots via Spareparts Box eBay store as it included shipping

BOSCH Aerotwin Wiper Blade Set BBA530-BBA550

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/bosch-aerotwin-wiper-blades-set-bba530-bba550

I got them a year ago, all working fine, didn't replace the rear, but it needs to be done.

Before that I got whatever the best ones at Supercheap Auto were, I found them average, and couldn't stand the way they looked. The Bosch ones have final look similar to the original Jeep ones at the connection point.

WK Transferbox issues

A friend of mine has a 2011 WK Laredo fitted with a 3.6ltr petrol motor. He has issues with the transfer box. He bought it second hand and has had it for about 18mths and luckily he took out a 3 year warranty on it. He was told by Jeep that there are currently none of these boxes in Australia or the US. His vehicle goes into the dealer Tuesday so they can remove the tranfer box so they can diagnose the problem. He also was told it probably would be a case problem and not the internals as this is an issue with these transfer boxes.
I couldn't find anything on the Jeep forums about this. Has anyone seen or heard of transfer box problems in WK JGC.

Warren

Re: WK Transferbox issues

A friend of mine has a 2011 WK Laredo fitted with a 3.6ltr petrol motor. He has issues with the transfer box. He bought it second hand and has had it for about 18mths and luckily he took out a 3 year warranty on it. He was told by Jeep that there are currently none of these boxes in Australia or the US. His vehicle goes into the dealer Tuesday so they can remove the tranfer box so they can diagnose the problem. He also was told it probably would be a case problem and not the internals as this is an issue with these transfer boxes.
I couldn't find anything on the Jeep forums about this. Has anyone seen or heard of transfer box problems in WK JGC.

Warren
I had mine and my front diff replaced but i have the diesel motor.

4,901 - 4,920 of 5,008 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.