Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
4,941 - 4,960 of 5,008 Posts
I know personally of one MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee in QLD with the bottom end gone bad, swapped engine with a wrecked donor instead.

Reactions: BobT
Not sure where to post this so here goes.

Just traded my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for a new Trailhawk. Prompted by serious failure on the old Jeep - I must be mad?

Why a new Trailhawk? Until this problem we had done 115k without any problems other than maintenance - replaced the Mitchelins with another set at 40k; then went to Pirelli Scorpions at 80k. Towed a 3 ton van all round Aus - twice (must have done 50k towing). Excellent fuel economy compared to many other vehicles towing 3 tons (best was 12l/100 crossing the Nullabor with a tailwind). And pretty comfortable for long drives.

Was thinking of upgrading before this issue but what else is there? IMO none of the competition holds up against the Jeep. Our only disappointment was the low ground clearance - hence wanted airbag suspension. By the time you add that in not far off the cost of the Trailhawk - which also gets you ventilated seats, bash plates and tow-hooks.

So when the dealer offered us a pretty good tradein, and was going to pick up the $4000 repair bill, we went for it. Just hope the new one is as good as the old one.

(Power steering went on the old one - hence $4000 repair bill. We get ripped off here for spares - unit would cost less than $1000 in USA).

Cheers
Phil

Not sure where to post this so here goes.

Just traded my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for a new Trailhawk. Prompted by serious failure on the old Jeep - I must be mad?

Why a new Trailhawk? Until this problem we had done 115k without any problems other than maintenance - replaced the Mitchelins with another set at 40k; then went to Pirelli Scorpions at 80k. Towed a 3 ton van all round Aus - twice (must have done 50k towing). Excellent fuel economy compared to many other vehicles towing 3 tons (best was 12l/100 crossing the Nullabor with a tailwind). And pretty comfortable for long drives.

Was thinking of upgrading before this issue but what else is there? IMO none of the competition holds up against the Jeep. Our only disappointment was the low ground clearance - hence wanted airbag suspension. By the time you add that in not far off the cost of the Trailhawk - which also gets you ventilated seats, bash plates and tow-hooks.

So when the dealer offered us a pretty good tradein, and was going to pick up the $4000 repair bill, we went for it. Just hope the new one is as good as the old one.

(Power steering went on the old one - hence $4000 repair bill. We get ripped off here for spares - unit would cost less than $1000 in USA).

Cheers
Phil
You pulled a 3t van 50,000km and all you had was a power steering failure? Mate, you should have kept it. Best tug ever :thumbsup:

Debating doing the same early next year, what kind of changeover price did you get?

Call it $50kish.
$20k tradein (including the value of the repair bill); $70k for the Trailhawk.

Might have done $5k better if I had paid the repair and sold privately - but the old girl wasn't in the best of condition and they lent us a demo car for 2 weeks to sweeten the deal.

Country dealer though - not the city!

Call it $50kish.

Might have done $5k better if I had paid the repair and sold privately - but the old girl wasn't in the best of condition and they lent us a demo car for 2 weeks to sweeten the deal.

Yeah, trade-ins are a rip off. If you had offered no trade, you would have got a few grand of the price of the new car as well. They don't want your old bomb. However, sometimes you just don't have the time to worry about a private sale.

Call it $50kish.

Nice work, I've been offered 45k changeover for the Trailhawk for our MY15 Limited (55k on odo).

I was hoping for the Redbook trade-in value of 35k but no luck. Probably not a huge surprise given there's MY15 Limited / diesels for sale for 33k on Carsales private.

I've just pulled the trigger on a new Trailhawk too, eagerly waiting for delivery.

Had my MY14 Overland on Carsales for 4 months... started at the top of redbook private sale pricing, ended below the bottom trade-in value. No-one wants the petrol models it seems =/

No - petrol will be hard to move.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Just after some feedback from anyone who's been lucky enough to swap to MY18 can tell us what they think of the new shifter?
Dislike
Taking a bit to get used too
What's it like going from Drive to Sports mode?

Cheers Trev

Just after some feedback from anyone who's been lucky enough to swap to MY18 . . .. What's it like going from Drive to Sports mode?

I am sure it takes a lot more effort to hit the Sports button which is now located on the console. You need to plan ahead.

Attachments

Just got the FCA U65 safety recall letter. This is a PCM software update to prevent speed lock/acceleration with cruise control. Some yank researchers found that the cruise control can become unresponsive if you sever the CAN bus at the same time that the cruise control is requesting more power.

You could just use the brakes ..... :whistle:

Unfortunately, this will be another day at the dealer without the Jeep.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/fca-australia-pty-ltd-2014-2018-wk-jeep-grand-cherokee

Problem is that if this sequence occurs and there is a short circuit, the fault handling strategy software loaded to the PCM will not allow the brakes to electronically disengage the system. Hence the note to put the car into neutral or apply the brakes.
That said, if it was me I'd change the OR to an AND. If you have a cruise stuck on at 104 kph or 65 Mph, the brakes would get so hot trying to stop the vehicle with a locked cruise control.
Put it into neutral and apply the brakes as normal to bring the car to a controlled stop. Shut the engine down. Exit the vehicle and kiss the ground if you feel its helps calm the nerves..
On a side note, I have mine booked in for the U65 at the start of Aug, so decided to let them do the S27/49 at the same time. At least its only one visit.

Reactions: BobT
I've just pulled the trigger on a new Trailhawk too, eagerly waiting for delivery.

Had my MY14 Overland on Carsales for 4 months... started at the top of redbook private sale pricing, ended below the bottom trade-in value. No-one wants the petrol models it seems =/
So three weeks after the dealer ordered the vehicle from Jeep, Jeep comes back and says its severely damaged and can't deliver... GRRR! Anyone seen a Trailhawk fallen off the back of a truck somewhere?

So three weeks after the dealer ordered the vehicle from Jeep, Jeep comes back and says its severely damaged and can't deliver... GRRR! Anyone seen a Trailhawk fallen off the back of a truck somewhere?
That's Jeep dealer code for they didn't order it or sold it to someone else who didn't want to wait for more $$.

Ask them for the VIN.

Reactions: Boxheadmr
That's Jeep dealer code for they didn't order it or sold it to someone else who didn't want to wait for more $$.

Ask them for the VIN.
You're almost as cynical as I am :)

Ask them for the VIN.
Heard plenty of stories of such dealer behaviour. This time I had a VIN first, so less inclined to think cynically...

Another car has been sourced for me (no VIN yet), but another three week wait for Jeep Australia to deliver *sigh*.

I have a 2014 GC Overland Diesel, 140Klms.
I am starting to experience the following errors more frequently
  • Service electronic throttle control with associated warning light
  • Service 4 wheel drive system
  • The coolant system needle dropped to zero
  • The Adaptive Cruise Control de-activates
Seems weird as these errors wouldn’t relate to a common cause, in my opinion.
This problem has occurred
  • Oct 17 in almost stopped traffic for 20 minutes (on my way to the dentist)
  • Feb 19 three times while going steep hills and gears dropped down to 2nd or 3rd
  • Sep 19 went over a speed hump doing about 2 or 3 kph
  • Oct 19 driving up steep hill (Dorrigo) for approx. 5 minutes
  • Oct 19 while towing 1 tonne boat only about 2 klms normal speed
  • Oct 19 in almost stopped traffic for 20 minutes (on my way to the dentist AGAIN)
In all occasions turning off the engine and back on cleared the errors, and the MIL went out after about 3-4 restarts of the engine.
I have seen the same thing on an OS Jeep blog and they suggested changing the coolant temperature sensor. My latest Error Codes are P00118 which I believe relate to the that sensor. It will cost around $200 to replace the coolant sensor.
Before I start throwing money at this, has anyone had the same problem and had it fixed or have any other advice (apart from the obvious don’t go to, or find a new dentist?)

4,941 - 4,960 of 5,008 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.