Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've talked about it before, and tonight I went and did it- I had purchased the hooks, and decided to give it a go myself. I also documented the process with photos so you all can get an idea of how hard it is.

Here's the parts:

Tools required are basically just a 3/8" drive metric socket set, a 30mm wrench (I had a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket), and a small screwdriver for pulling out small clips.

You begin by removing the lower front fascia. You pull the 7 quarter turn fasteners as referenced in in the manual, but there's a bunch of clips between the fascia and the bumper cover, so it neither comes off nor goes back on as easily as you'd think.

You do need to separate the lower trim piece from that fascia in order to remove the knockouts for the hooks.

Here's what those knockouts look like from the backside:

And the front end without the fascia:

Now, you will have to remove the splash shield under the front end. NOT the skid plate, but the thin plastic splash guard in front of the axle. Easy enough.

Also, all the needed holes are indeed present and tapped where necessary. Witness the passenger side location for the hook bracket:

The bracket just bolts right up:

At this point comes really the only difficult part of the install. You need to insert the nuts into the front frame rail (not too hard- there's an easy opening on both sides), but then you'll also have to put the spacer bracket, the hook, and the bolts in at the same time. It would be easier if you had 3 hands (and if they're smaller than my huge mitts). Tightening those front bolts isn't the easiest thing, since you need to apply some friction to those nuts to keep them from turning in the frame.

But I got it done:

And a rear view:

Installation on both sides is quite similar.

And all back together:

Total time spent: about 1.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
9,457 Posts
nice writeup!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Great write up. None of the vehicles I'm looking at (yes, STILL haven't pulled the trigger) have tow hooks and I'd like to have those.

·
Registered
WK2
12 Posts
Great write up. I dont think they come in Chrome because mine (export version) came with them and its a limited and they are black. I wish they were chrome.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose it might be possible to have the hooks chromed- you'd just need to find the appropriate shop for it.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,677 Posts
nice!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Considering ordering some tow hooks and having them chromed....I want them to look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
jonesark they look very nice in chrome. The only concern is if you ever use them, the chrome will be scraped off and then you have a rusty mess; think about what a trailer hitch ball looks like after a use or two and some weathering. At least black tow hooks can be touched up when scraped and kept looking new.

·
Waggie
3,211 Posts
Techno, or anyone else who has done this, can you please tell me in which holes you used the longer bolts/washers?

It looks like the longer of the two bolts from Techo's first photo go into the front spacer brackets and spacers at the front of the two hooks?

If that is correct then the shorter bolts put the main mounting bracket directly to the frame?

Thanks in advance. All 8 of my bolts are 16mm heads so it's not as clear from the instructions.

Suggestion: have or get a 30mm deep socket for main bolt. BTW, I hate these gotdamned plastic rivets and connectors that attach exterior fascia and interior panels to everything.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
jonesark they look very nice in chrome. The only concern is if you ever use them, the chrome will be scraped off and then you have a rusty mess; think about what a trailer hitch ball looks like after a use or two and some weathering. At least black tow hooks can be touched up when scraped and kept looking new.
I thought about that....but it looks so good!

·
Waggie
3,211 Posts
Captain Obvious can now confirm the longer bolts go into the front holes, spacers, and spacer brackets towards the front of the hooks. Shorter bolts mount the main brackets to the frame.

If anyone doubts the German influence by Benz, note the metric nuts and bolts on an American vehicle. There's also plenty of made in Germany stickers underneath.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Captain Obvious can now confirm the longer bolts go into the front holes, spacers, and spacer brackets towards the front of the hooks. Shorter bolts mount the main brackets to the frame.

If anyone doubts the German influence by Benz, note the metric nuts and bolts on an American vehicle. There's also plenty of made in Germany stickers underneath.
Nice work, captain. I didn't remember offhand which went where.

As for the metric, most US label vehicles now are. My old 1992 Saturn was metric for pretty much everything.

1 - 20 of 269 Posts