Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I am trying to figure out what is causing my Ecodiesel to sometimes make an odd noise when it’s cold.
It almost sounds like the engine is surging but the rpm gauge stays steady.
The noise disappears after giving the engine a rev.
I have included a link to a short video I uploaded to YouTube.
Any advice on what it might be would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All.
I am trying to figure out what is causing my Ecodiesel to sometimes make an odd noise when it’s cold.
It almost sounds like the engine is surging but the rpm gauge stays steady.
The noise disappears after giving the engine a rev.
I have included a link to a short video I uploaded to YouTube.
Any advice on what it might be would be greatly appreciated:)
Have you found the issue? My 2014 is doing the same and 4 mechanics have told me there's nothing wrong with it. This ticking wasn't here before, pretty sure of it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi.
I’m not sure what you mean by ticking, my issue was a surging sound that happened sometimes when the engine was cold but went away after giving the engine a rev. In my case it was the accelerator pedal, replacing the accelerator pedal also greatly improved gear changes.
Curious how this was diagnosed to be the accelerator pedal. Hopefully I don't have this issue but it's good to know of the remedy in case it ever happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious how this was diagnosed to be the accelerator pedal. Hopefully I don't have this issue but it's good to know of the remedy in case it ever happens.
Unfortunately the mechanic was wrong and I now have a new accelerator pedal that I didn’t need.
This surging issue only seems to happen when the engine is cold and the engine is running on its first start of the day.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
864 Posts
Yours seems to act like my 3.1 variant- starts fine and after letting her tick over for a min or two to lube engine and turbo, seems to surge slightly before pressing pedal once. If I don't press pedal at all, she will surge like struggling for air. Press pedal once and she settles perfectly for rest of day.
Mines always done it. I think it's due to the natural aspiration system of diesels and possibly a bit of carbon building on the map sensor.
Funnily enough, she never does it in cold weather when the air is denser.
See if taking out map sensor and giving it a clean helps to make it less noticeable, but otherwise just gently tap that pedal once she's started up and been ticking over for about 30 secs to a minute.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
864 Posts
I do an oil change every six months, in spring and autumn for summer/winter oils. Popping out the Map is 2x8mm bolts- takes a couple of minutes to clean and pop back in. Doing it every 4 weeks also allows me to keep an eye on the carbon build up in the air manifold and I just pop some EGR spray in the air intake to give it a bit of a clean, as I do low mileage so I purposely take it to temp every time I use it from a cold start- a mile trip to the shops becomes a 20 minute longer route to burn the carbon as much as possible.

I've only started these practises in the last few months and already noticed the differences- smoother cold start in the mornings and no more blue smoke swamping the engine bay as she isn't struggling so much.
I believe that half the problems with diesels (besides oil leaks) is crap air intake polluted by that carbon, so purging out as much as possible keeps it breathing better.

Not sure how easily accessible EGR's and Map sensors are in other variants, but mine's all on top and easily accessible to be able to do this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts