Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

This is my first post so bare with me haha

I bought a 2016 GC limited over the summer, it is equipped with the luxury group II package. Part of that package is the factory Bi-xenon headlights. My prior car was an Acura TSX so I'm used to having great headlights... and quite frankly i am disappointed in the OEM bixenon headlights. I have narrowed my grievances down to a couple of things.
1. stock d3s bulbs
2. stock projector fresnel lens
3. water mark inside of lens?

First thing i did was replace the OEM osram bulbs with a set of Philips X-treme vision II bulbs. (would highly recommend, they are expensive but the light output increase appears to be significant)
The next thing I want to try is to do a clear lens retrofit in the OEM projector. I think switching out the fresnel for a clear lens would greatly improve the cutoff, clarity, range... etc.

Questions:
-Ive looked all over google/ forums and cant find anyone who has done a clear lens retrofit on the eom bi-xenon headlights, does anyone have experience with this? (Maybe i just am bad a googling)
from my research the headlights appear to be sealed with permeseal, is this such a PITA that it wouldnt be worth the hassle just to change out the lens in the projector?
-Another alternative to doing a clear lens swap would be to switch out the stock valeo d3s projector/ ballast combo with something like the FX-R projector, or a lexus projector... or something that is d1s or d2s, from my undestanding the d3s bulbs are "eco friendly" because they dont contain mercury, but also aren't as bright as the other d#s bulbs).
-Anyone know what/ why there appears to be watermarks or like melted plastic on the lens in front of the bulb. Note: this was always like this, it isnt related to the bulbs i put in.
Opinions?

oem osram bulb (i know the black background is a bad thing to display on, but whatever haha)
jeep3.jpg

Philips X-treme vision II
jeep2.jpg

watermarks on lens
jeep1.jpg

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
It seems like the 2014-2016(at least) suffered from discoloration of the clear lens of the headlights. I had mine replaced under the 3/36 for the same reason and they have held up so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you are referring to the entire headlight not just the lens. I did find a sketchy chinese website that sells replacement lens, so if i do open them up i might put some new lens in. Assuming the that mark doesn't come off.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
Mine was on the clear plastic of the housing. The dealer isn't about to mess around with replacing headlight components other than bulbs and possible ballasts so the entire housings was replaced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been thinking of opening my headlights up as well for some ribbon mods and maybe demon eyes. I haven’t done it yet due to the permaseal 🤬🤬

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit 5.7
8 Posts
Do you know what part number you used from Phillips? I can't find those bulbs listed to replace the osram bulbs. TIA.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did the same Philips bulbs on my 2019 JGC and not sure I seen such a huge color temp change, I will have to double check on that but yes, even then the light output is still disappointing and the cutoff line is almost reflector like. My wife's CX5 with the factory halogen projectors fitted with VLED LED H11's have significantly more output and cleaner cutout to the point it's frustrating.

With that said, curious to know what you come up with as I would consider doing a retrofit. That or I'm adding the hidden grill light bar which is really only useful for backroads.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's not the bulbs that are contributing to the poor HID performance it's the projectors. Also, many of the 3rd party tests have the Philips XV2 producing higher lumens output than those OSRAM bulbs. So those bulbs if anything will be worse in performance for a trade off in higher color temp.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
203 Posts
I did the same Philips bulbs on my 2019 JGC and not sure I seen such a huge color temp change, I will have to double check on that but yes, even then the light output is still disappointing and the cutoff line is almost reflector like. My wife's CX5 with the factory halogen projectors fitted with VLED LED H11's have significantly more output and cleaner cutout to the point it's frustrating.

With that said, curious to know what you come up with as I would consider doing a retrofit. That or I'm adding the hidden grill light bar which is really only useful for backroads.
I have noticed the same thing. I have VLED H11 Microevolution Extreme in my halogen headlights and regular Microevolution in my fogs. Much better than stock halogens but not great...when compared to my wife's Mazda CX-5. I put JDM Astar in hers and they have a pure horizontal line cutoff (i.e. looks like a solid bar of light on a wall). It is the projectors. The Mazda is a nice, clean projector. The Jeep has texture on the projector lens...maybe that is what is affecting the cutoff. The fogs don't so they actually have a nice horizontal cutoff/beam pattern. I thought it was only the halogen projectors that didn't have the clean cutoff. There are plenty of pictures of the HIDs that don't look any better...at least when projected on a wall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. I have VLED H11 Microevolution Extreme in my halogen headlights and regular Microevolution in my fogs. Much better than stock halogens but not great...when compared to my wife's Mazda CX-5. I put JDM Astar in hers and they have a pure horizontal line cutoff (i.e. looks like a solid bar of light on a wall). It is the projectors. The Mazda is a nice, clean projector. The Jeep has texture on the projector lens...maybe that is what is affecting the cutoff. The fogs don't so they actually have a nice horizontal cutoff/beam pattern. I thought it was only the halogen projectors that didn't have the clean cutoff. There are plenty of pictures of the HIDs that don't look any better...at least when projected on a wall.
Yup, it's definitely the projectors and having searched doesn't look like we are the first to notice this. I can say without doubt these are probably the worst headlights I've had in any vehicle in the last 10yrs (and I've had many). I did find another thread which shows a user tried to swap out different projectors but it's not a simple swap. It would need to be a professional retrofit unless somebody is quite savy on how to do these. I would sure like to know as it's something I would consider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a clear lens retrofit on my 2008 Subaru WRX and it wasnt overly complicated, which is what I'd like to try. Doing a full swap of projectors and ballasts would be the best improvement but seems like a lot of money and fabrication. Opening the Chrysler sealant seems like a real deterant though... But if I get bored enough I might.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's really to bad headlights arent designed so that you can remove the projector through the rear dust cover/ service door

·
Registered
GC TH
308 Posts
Removing the glue is what’s held me back, as well. Some FX-R or similar lenses would make me happy. I though about cutting off a large section in the back and removing them that way, but you’d have to be able to line it back up correctly. It’s sad that this is even as issue since the lenses aren’t much more $$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts