Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Limited
358 Posts
Yeah CHeYeNNe71 has what most of us opt for with the whole crossrail set up which is a bit cheaper on the wallet. There are other options that mount flat along the top of the factory rails they make make for mounting rooftop tents etc....Only drawback is no basket sides per se but you still have to strap everything down tight either way. Check out Rocky Roads rack and mounting kit, nice set up but it’ll climb up around 1k or more and I don’t use our GC enough right now Off Road to justify that. I got my Power Wagon for that ✌

·
Registered
2014 Limited
358 Posts
sweet ride! Love the clean look you’ve got going on! As far as the transfer case, honestly I am not positive. It’s a standard Laredo and not trail rated, so I’m guessing single ? I really want the roof rack for kayak transporting, however I have a height issue with my garage. I probably only have about 3 inches max now before I hit the top of my garage opening and I’m afraid adding the roof rack will add too much height. Any idea how much height beyond the antena adding the roof Rack is? The light pods will definitely happen down the road!
Do you have the select terrain on shifter console that gives you Snow, Mud, Rock, Auto and 4Low.. if not you have single speed. Limited’s come with that and most Trail rated regardless of Label generally have it. That’s one item I will not give up for any any model it changes all your shift points and in 4Low it’ll get you out of some stickier situation’s. And probably 6-7 inches additional height.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Do you have the select terrain on shifter console that gives you Snow, Mud, Rock, Auto and 4Low.. if not you have single speed. Limited’s come with that and most Trail rated regardless of Label generally have it. That’s one item I will not give up for any any model it changes all your shift points and in 4Low it’ll get you out of some stickier situation’s. And probably 6-7 inches additional height.
Ok yeah it’s just standard single speed then. No select terrain dial. I had that on my Cherokee trail hawk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice looking rig, digging the rims and what size tire did you go with a 33” or a metric. Did you use RC’s preloaded from Struts and rear springs or their spacer kit? I’m thinking about pulling my spacer kit and getting their Preloaded strut kit and throwing some shim spacers on top for 3” up front, and putting Rocky’s Road’s rear 2 1/2” spacer on the rear and then looking at some 34’s. I see you’re from NY I’m in Orange County, Tri-State we do runs up around Ellenville, Craagsmoor, Wallkill, etc......
I just ordered this earlier today, the 2.5 coil spring lift. When talking about lift options to one of the guys that works at a local shop near me, I just couldn’t ignore a statement I’ve seen on is forum over and over. Something about unnecessary stress on the UCAs. So I opted for their loaded struts and rear coils. I’m excited and think i made a good starting out choice. Hopping their kit is quality and built to last.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
358 Posts
I just ordered this earlier today, the 2.5 coil spring lift. When talking about lift options to one of the guys that works at a local shop near me, I just couldn’t ignore a statement I’ve seen on is forum over and over. Something about unnecessary stress on the UCAs. So I opted for their loaded struts and rear coils. I’m excited and think i made a good starting out choice. Hopping their kit is quality and built to last.
Any spacer lift will cause an adverse angle on the UCA’s, but of course the smaller the spacer lift the less it will affect the UCA’s. Add that plus the weight of larger tires and more than likely wheel spacers you have added stress on them also. Now if you opt for a different rim and address backspacing you won’t need wheel spacers and that removes that variable. With that said I have spacer lift’s on both my WK2’ and have not experienced any significant issue from their use.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,115 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics! This is super helpful. To me it looks like the rails only add about an inch beyond the antennae tip? That could be doable in terms of still being able to get it into the garage. Can you link the one you’ve got? Appreciate it!
I got mine on eBay, Turtle brand. There are a few others on here using the same brand with good reviews

Silver Turtle Brand

Black Turtle Brand

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Any spacer lift will cause an adverse angle on the UCA’s, but of course the smaller the spacer lift the less it will affect the UCA’s. Add that plus the weight of larger tires and more than likely wheel spacers you have added stress on them also. Now if you opt for a different rim and address backspacing you won’t need wheel spacers and that removes that variable. With that said I have spacer lift’s on both my WK2’ and have not experienced any significant issue from their use.
Interesting conversation. It has me thinking, do you think new UCAs and ball joints are required, for just general daily driver use? I think if I ever take it off road it would be beneficial to get this upgraded, but just road driving what’s general consensus?

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,115 Posts
Yes, lift kits using spacers cause the unneeded stress on UCA's, while an actual lift with coils does not. The reason being spacer limit up-travel (bad) and don't limit down-travel (bad) which causes the unneeded stress. Some people do not like to believe a company who specializes in suspensions with FACTS, because they think they know everything. Great thing about choices, we can all make our own and deal with the repercussions of those choices. If you stay with strut/coils lifts you do NOT need to upgrade UCA's.

Cylinder Coil spring Suspension Suspension part

·
Registered
2014 Limited
358 Posts
Interesting conversation. It has me thinking, do you think new UCAs and ball joints are required, for just general daily driver use? I think if I ever take it off road it would be beneficial to get this upgraded, but just road driving what’s general consensus?
Well, that subjective in the fact that it’s not If then UCA’s Will fail it’s a matter of when. I’ve seen WK’s 05-10 that have been wheeled regularly with a specter lift in place and they all had replacement UCA’s. I my first WK2 a 2011 Laredo E which a friend owns currently has close to 100k on it with RRO’s 2 1/2” Lift kit that I Installed in Mid 2011 and hasn’t had to replace the UCA’s yet. That really wasn’t wheeled I think 4 times total. Our current 14 Limited has had RRO’s spacer kit on it for about 3 years now only 15-18k with it but has been wheeled at Rausch Creek and several other are’s here by me and is also somewhat daily driver. It has had no issue as of yet with the UCA’s. But with that being said my thought is this they will eventually fail and wear sooner than stock with the adverse angle of a spacer kit. At what rate is of course indeterminable because of driving and vehicle specifics. Just keep an aye on them and when they need to be replaced or for any looking to go the spacer lift route and feel more comfortable with after market UCA’s that address the angle change put them when when you put the lift on, simple as that. No need to stress on something that you ca watch for any impending possible failure.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
358 Posts
On another note any type of lift be it spacers or a strut/spring set up will cause additional cv angles if you look at the above pamphlet you'll see that they only mention that about the spacer lifts which is misleading because unless you drop the front differential to get it back into alignment with factory specs it will cause premature wear there also. How's that for some Expert advice?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
On another note any type of lift be it spacers or a strut/spring set up will cause additional cv angles if you look at the above pamphlet you'll see that they only mention that about the spacer lifts which is misleading because unless you drop the front differential to get it back into alignment with factory specs it will cause premature wear there also. How's that for some Expert advice?
Good stuff, thanks for the thoughts. I guess at this point I’ll just ride it out with the stock ucas and setup until I start to feel like it’s affecting ride quality and so forth. like I said it’s pretty much a daily driver for now without any off-roading. If I get into that at some point, I’ll do the necessary upgrades to accommodate.

Lovin the ride so far! Modding is starting to become addicting, as I’m already planning out my next ones!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yes, lift kits using spacers cause the unneeded stress on UCA's, while an actual lift with coils does not. The reason being spacer limit up-travel (bad) and don't limit down-travel (bad) which causes the unneeded stress. Some people do not like to believe a company who specializes in suspensions with FACTS, because they think they know everything. Great thing about choices, we can all make our own and deal with the repercussions of those choices. If you stay with strut/coils lifts you do NOT need to upgrade UCA's.

View attachment 229972
Thanks for the knowledge sir!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Lemme know how this setup goes for you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will, it won’t ship until the 22nd unfortunately and on top of that my shop can’t get me in until the 7th of Jan. Patience is truly a virtue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i am starting to notice some noise coming from the front passenger side when hitting small bumps and turning at the same time. Hard to tell if it’s the tire hitting the wheel well or something else going on. Going to call the shop to see what might be going on.

if I did want to try and improve the ride quality, what upgrades would you guys recommend? New shocks, springs, uc, etc....

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,115 Posts
Did you look inside your wheel well for rub marks or inner wheel well liner damaged?

My guess it's the tires hitting the inner wheel well, possibly the pinch weld seam. Did you ever do the pinch weld seam mod or trim the inner wheel wells? That's why I never went 33's because I wasn't doing all that, plus you reduce flex clearance tire to wheel well.
If you're wanting better than spacer lifts your choices are the RC strut/shock/coil lift kit, Eibach, Old Man Emu or Dobinsons (cheapest to expensive)

21 - 40 of 89 Posts