Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Did you look inside your wheel well for rub marks or inner wheel well liner damaged?

My guess it's the tires hitting the inner wheel well, possibly the pinch weld seam. Did you ever do the pinch weld seam mod or trim the inner wheel wells? That's why I never went 33's because I wasn't doing all that, plus you reduce flex clearance tire to wheel well.
If you're wanting better than spacer lifts your choices are the RC strut/shock/coil lift kit, Eibach, Old Man Emu or Dobinsons (cheapest to expensive)
I did, and as you predicted, i think the tire is hitting the back end of the wheel well as there is a spot where i can slide my finger into the felt liner where i can see it ripping a bit. I know i spoke to the shop about the pinch weld mod, but i guess I'm not certain that they ever actually did it. Got an appointment Tuesday to have them check it out, and i will mention that it probably needs to have that done if it wasn't already. Thanks for the advice!

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
The pinch seam can damage your tire and possibly split it open if you hit it good one time, that is why it needs to be cut and beat down for clearance and nothing bad to happen. Also make sure they paint the area after so it doesn't rust. There are videos on youtube showing how to do it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The pinch seam can damage your tire and possibly split it open if you hit it good one time, that is why it needs to be cut and beat down for clearance and nothing bad to happen. Also make sure they paint the area after so it doesn't rust. There are videos on youtube showing how to do it.
Guess i will be driving it very carefully the next 5 days...鈥.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Tried to get a couple pics of what I think is making contact with the tires. It鈥檚 lightly ripped on the felt already.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
That's the rear of the front tire correct? If so yes that is where the pinch seam is.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Did you watch any of the videos on youtube about how to do it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Did you watch any of the videos on youtube about how to do it?
I did! Didn鈥檛 actually seem to bad. The shop that did my lift and install are going to do it for me. I called them again today just to say, this is what needs to be done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ok, need some input on this. So ever since I got the lift and new tires, I have noticed a considerably stiffer ride. My guess is it is because I just got the spacer lift and not the spring/coils. So question is, if I wanted to improve ride quality is it just as simple as switching out the spacer loft for the spring coil setup? Which do you guys recommend?

Will suck to go back to the shop with my tail between my legs cause I didn鈥檛 know what I was doing, but I鈥檒l chalk it up to a rookie mistake. ill do my research next time!

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Yes sorta, They will swap out the old suspension for the new and not have to tear apart the struts.

Depends budget, Cheapest to expensive Rough Country lift kit $600, Eibach lift kit $8-900, Old Man Emu lift kit $1150 and then Dobinson Lift kit $1500

I'd personally opt for Eibach or OME. 6-8 hours depending shop and depending rate could be $600-$1k for install w/alignment just for labor

Rough Country
Eibach Kit
Old Man Emu Lift
Dobinson kit

Registered
2014 Limited
Jack up the front of your Jeep take the wheel off get small 5lb sledge and you bend that pinch weld over yourself. You can do some relief cuts if you want to but they aren鈥檛 needed the weld will flatten right out with the sledge. Make sure you use jack stands.
So far as the ride suffering did you do a preload spacer? That鈥檚 where you disassemble the strut and place a spacer between the strut top and coil spring? If so that鈥檚 your issue.
As CHeYeNNe71 stated above you can get the new spring lift or order some Bilstein 5100鈥檚 adjustable struts for the front and take of the spacer use all you original hardware and replace the strut system with the Bilstein鈥檚. You still get enough lift to have it leveled and be able to run a 32.5 tire.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Bilstein doesn't make the 5100 or 4600's to work with the suspension change of 2016+, so they are not an option for the front atleast. Only what I posted above.

Registered
2014 Limited
Bilstein doesn't make the 5100 or 4600's to work with the suspension change of 2016+, so they are not an option for the front atleast. Only what I posted above.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the heads up, my Cousin just picked up a 17 for 22k, and is still debating on what lift he wants to go with, of course you know what I told him, lol. He鈥檚 probably going through Rough Country with their preassembled spring/strut assembly. Has anyone run these that you know off?

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
I've seen a couple guys post about getting them installed on FB pages, but no feedback since, or I haven't come across their posts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Got my pinch weld mod done yesterday. Much better turn radius and I鈥檓 not crashing the wheel well anymore. Might hold off on the suspension upgrades for a bit. If congress decides to increase our stimulus payments, then I might pull the trigger a little sooner 馃槈

Thanks for all the info guys! You鈥檝e been very helpful!

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Glad you got fixed before something bad could possibly happen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Still a bit of slight wheel rub on the front bumper when I鈥檓 at full crank going up or down my driveway since it鈥檚 on an incline. Any good videos out there showing shaving that front bumper a bit?

Also finally permanently deactivated my auto start stop. always hated that feature and having to press a button every time I get in the Jeep.

Registered
2014 Limited
Still a bit of slight wheel rub on the front bumper when I鈥檓 at full crank going up or down my driveway since it鈥檚 on an incline. Any good videos out there showing shaving that front bumper a bit?

Also finally permanently deactivated my auto start stop. always hated that feature and having to press a button every time I get in the Jeep.
Never had the need for the front trim, what size tires are you running?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts