Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be tackling the rocker arms and lifters in my 2015 WK2 to alleviate the notorious ticking sound. Does anyone have any recommendations on where/what brand to purchase? I'm probably going to trade it in within the next 2-3 year, but incase it's a longer I do not want to have to go back and perform this repair again. Any tips would also be gratefully appreciated. TIA!

· Registered
886 Posts
Go with OEM parts, and unless you can push the lifter down with your fingers, don't waste your money on them.
its most always the tappets that are making the noise, but depending on how long they have been noisy, you may need a cam or 2 so look closely at the lobes to make sure they are not grooved.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I stopped by the mechanic shop that I use in the event that there's a repair beyond my expertise/timeframe, just to see if it's worth doing myself. They are going to call around to get an idea on part cost. He mentioned that it is a 3 day job. I'm assuming as busy as they are that that's broken up into 3 days??? But he did also bring up the possibility of the cams. Can't even fathom what to expect on price when he calls me.

· Registered
886 Posts
It’s definitely not a three day job. I can do both sides in about 4 hours . someone who’s never done it before could probably expect to take six.
There are some specialty tools you will need though ,specifically the cam phaser lock tool and tensioner release pin

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s definitely not a three day job. I can do both sides in about 4 hours . someone who’s never done it before could probably expect to take six.
There are some specialty tools you will need though ,specifically the cam phaser lock tool and tensioner release pin
I thought that sounded crazy. But like I said maybe they are doing 1-2 hours at a time per day?? I think I need an hour estimate to get a better idea and at least a second opinion. This would be my first time going that deep into the engine, so that last thing I would want is to get over my head while everything is taken apart. Hypothetically speaking, because the ticking has been going on for quite some time. If there is damage to the cams shafts, is it possible to complete the replacement on the rocker arms and risers, put everything back together and then complete the cam shafts at another time in the near future?

· Registered
886 Posts
Yes, you can put the damaged cams back in and replace them at another time, BUT...you may still have ticking and you may end up damaging the new rockers...That being said, on customer pay jobs, I have reused cams that were damaged on the outside of the lobe and never had an issue...( I always give the option to reuse or replace) just because there is a wear mark, does not mean the cam is bad..
Warranty always gets new cams
I wish I had a picture handy to illustrate it but what happens is the roller bearings in the rocker go bad allowing the body of the rocker to hit the cam and wear it out on the outside edge of the lobe.....putting a new rocker on restores the rockers ability to only ride on the center of the lobe and is perfectly fine .
so long story short,if the center of the cam where the roller rides is not damaged, you are perfectly OK to reuse the cam .

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great. You've been incredibly helpful, thank you. I'm going to get on top of ordering some OEM rockers and lifters. I usually order from CARID, but they seem to be out of the cams and I don't see any OEM rockers/lifters. Who else do you recommend ordering from? There seems to be a vast price difference between certain sources. I also want to make sure that I'm ordering the correct parts. From what I'm seeing there is front and rear engine valve lifters (set of 16) and a then the rocker arms (24 total), correct?

· Registered
886 Posts
No it is the 3.6 V6.
OK , were good then 😄
So to answer your question, you should be able to get them from your local dealer and all the lifters and rockers are the same. So if you’re gonna replace all of them, you’ll need 24 lifters and 24 rockers. But again I wouldn’t replace the lifters unless they are collapsed . They very rarely ever fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts