Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm changing the tires on my WK2 trailhawk to 265/65R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and am changing the spare to the same size. Is there a brand/model tire that fits better in the spare compartment (really trying to get the cover to sit as flat as possible)?

Thanks!

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Most will run same tire, just not fully air it up and then have a can of air or compressor with them. I remember one guy posted he aired up to 30 psi and the tire fit with the lid closed not to long ago. I don't remember what thread that was.

Super Moderator
The issue is the tire width...with a 265cm wide tire, you may need to air down as has been mentioned to fit under the lid. If you go with a narrower tire like Jeep did for the OEM full size spare, (245cm) you would have less of an issue with that. Larger diameter, however, may change what fits relative to other storage elements "under there".

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Welcome! 235/70R18 is close, but not the same and I personally wouldn't risk running it. Below is a tire calculator if you want to research more.

Tire Calculator

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Auto part

Registered
GC TH
The RG鈥檚 have aggressive tread on the sidewall, so you have to clock it where it allows the latch to come down. I have around 25psi in mine, I think. I could force it to close, but I felt like it put undue stress on the cover. Mine sits open about 3/8鈥.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RG鈥檚 have aggressive tread on the sidewall, so you have to clock it where it allows the latch to come down. I have around 25psi in mine, I think. I could force it to close, but I felt like it put undue stress on the cover. Mine sits open about 3/8鈥.
Thank you for the pic. I'd be ok to go with something with less sidewall tread to help it latch. Maybe I'll go with a more ordinary all terrain tire. Otherwise maybe i'll put some spacers underneath the latch to help it extend down a bit

Registered
GC TH
Thank you for the pic. I'd be ok to go with something with less sidewall tread to help it latch. Maybe I'll go with a more ordinary all terrain tire. Otherwise maybe i'll put some spacers underneath the latch to help it extend down a bit
There are a ton of tires to chose from that have little or no sidewall tread, so you should be able to find something.
The spacer is a good idea, but maybe reinforce/also raise other parts of the lid so it doesn鈥檛 sag when the back is loaded.

Registered
JGC
If you don't have the HD brakes, then buy a 245/75/17 tire which is 31.5" ... same diameter as the 265/65/18's after a few miles on them. Otherwise, air down the spare.
I ended up buying a 245/70R18 which is also ~31.5".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have HD brakes. I think I'll go with something with no sidewall tread then deflate as much as I need

Registered
Great post and comments! Leaning away from from the original question on this thread.. would it matter If the off set of your spare was different (say stock @ +57 to +35) even thought its the same tire and size of all 4鈥檚?

Registered
We just installed Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S (265/65R18) tires on our 2018 TrailHawk, I went with a Cooper Discoverer SRX (265/65R18) for the spare since it was a better fit but same diameter. You would not think that the sound dampening felt pad adds much to the height, but until I cut/removed that where the tire sits in the well the lid really did not work. It would latch with a lot of pressure but was bowed. The piece that hooks in the back is plastic, as is the latch, so you really don't want it to be super tight- removing the felt pad made a difference. Plastic storage bins not reinstalled either for same reason, but no concerns since the items I had stored in them still fit. Tire was deflated to 30PSI.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We just installed Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S (265/65R18) tires on our 2018 TrailHawk, I went with a Cooper Discoverer SRX (265/65R18) for the spare since it was a better fit but same diameter. You would not think that the sound dampening felt pad adds much to the height, but until I cut/removed that where the tire sits in the well the lid really did not work. It would latch with a lot of pressure but was bowed. The piece that hooks in the back is plastic, as is the latch, so you really don't want it to be super tight- removing the felt pad made a difference. Plastic storage bins not reinstalled either for same reason, but no concerns since the items I had stored in them still fit. Tire was deflated to 30PSI.

That looks great. Did you cut out the felt underneath it or was there an easier way of removing it?

Registered
JGC
I bought this one for my spare (245/70r18) 245 70 18 GOODYEAR SPARE - New Takeoff 245/70/18 - Spare for 275/65/18 GOODYEAR | eBay
Currently running stock sized Defenders and Blizzaks and both sets are on their last leg, so upsizing this spring and will mount the new spare then when I switch to 265/65r18. The calculators state that 245/70r18 is 31.5", yet the seller (9 still available) state they're off trucks that had 275/65r18's which is 32.1". Though, if those were 2wd capable vehicles, it wouldn't make a difference.
Net is ... at $31.50 a tire shipped, I'll take the chance. Believe the tire had a manufacture date of 32 week of 2019 on the one I received.

Reactions: wrh3

Registered
That looks great. Did you cut out the felt underneath it or was there an easier way of removing it?
Originally I set out to remove the entire piece, I had everything disassembled and found the piece actually goes under the air tank and under the back seat. So I decided it might be better to leave it as is and cut the piece causing my issue, the cut piece can always be reinstalled. It did help that I had removed most of the interior parts back there because I was able to lift the piece and use a razor knife without scratching the paint underneath- alternatively you could lift it up in the center where the hold-down bolt goes and cut out and around.

Registered
I bought this one for my spare (245/70r18) 245 70 18 GOODYEAR SPARE - New Takeoff 245/70/18 - Spare for 275/65/18 GOODYEAR | eBay
Currently running stock sized Defenders and Blizzaks and both sets are on their last leg, so upsizing this spring and will mount the new spare then when I switch to 265/65r18. The calculators state that 245/70r18 is 31.5", yet the seller (9 still available) state they're off trucks that had 275/65r18's which is 32.1". Though, if those were 2wd capable vehicles, it wouldn't make a difference.
Net is ... at $31.50 a tire shipped, I'll take the chance. Believe the tire had a manufacture date of 32 week of 2019 on the one I received.
I may do the same. I just upgraded to 265/65/18 and was thinking of grabbing a matching spare and trying to stuff it in. For $30 may be worth it. I wouldn't be driving too far on it if I did need to swap it out.

My other option was to find a used 265/65/18 with good tread but everything around me is $60-70 + $10 mounted.

Registered
GC TH
My P265/65r18 Ridge Grappler spare lid just sits on it. I tried fitting everything again after Moab, and the lid just barely sits above the tire, fully inflated with both buckets in the space. I鈥檝e been running it like this for 2 years, including fully loaded down on road trips and wheeling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally I set out to remove the entire piece, I had everything disassembled and found the piece actually goes under the air tank and under the back seat. So I decided it might be better to leave it as is and cut the piece causing my issue, the cut piece can always be reinstalled. It did help that I had removed most of the interior parts back there because I was able to lift the piece and use a razor knife without scratching the paint underneath- alternatively you could lift it up in the center where the hold-down bolt goes and cut out and around.

I removed the felt and still can't get the lid to latch. even have the tire down to 20psi. hankook dynapro ht was the narrowest 265/65 tire I could find.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts