Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I removed the felt and still can't get the lid to latch. even have the tire down to 20psi. hankook dynapro ht was the narrowest 265/65 tire I could find.
the tire specs even show it at 10.4" width compared to 10.5 for the cooper srx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Would fitting the same size tire but going for the terra grappler fit?
Doesn’t have those chunky side lugs
I went with a road tire for the spare, hankook dynapro ht. it was the narrowest tire I found at 10.4" but maybe that's incorrect since it won't latch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks - thinking 265/65/18 on the TG for the spare only and the rest RG but also want to fit the spare properly in the boot! Don’t want to go to a full road tire just in case I get a flat in the bush and need something a bit more robust

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought this one for my spare (245/70r18) 245 70 18 GOODYEAR SPARE - New Takeoff 245/70/18 - Spare for 275/65/18 GOODYEAR | eBay
Currently running stock sized Defenders and Blizzaks and both sets are on their last leg, so upsizing this spring and will mount the new spare then when I switch to 265/65r18. The calculators state that 245/70r18 is 31.5", yet the seller (9 still available) state they're off trucks that had 275/65r18's which is 32.1". Though, if those were 2wd capable vehicles, it wouldn't make a difference.
Net is ... at $31.50 a tire shipped, I'll take the chance. Believe the tire had a manufacture date of 32 week of 2019 on the one I received.
Received mine and had it mounted on the spare. Fits in the spare compartment just fine. Thanks for the heads up on these spares.

·
Registered
JGC
320 Posts
@RedWings Your welcome. I haven't mounted mine yet. Were you able to fit in both buckets? Also, did you happen to measure against your 265/65r18's for height?

·
Registered
288 Posts
@RedWings Your welcome. I haven't mounted mine yet. Were you able to fit in both buckets? Also, did you happen to measure against your 265/65r18's for height?
Yes both buckets fit. You need to give them a little pressure to fit exactly right but not a big deal. I didn't measure it against the 265/65s.

·
Registered
GC TH
477 Posts
Thanks - thinking 265/65/18 on the TG for the spare only and the rest RG but also want to fit the spare properly in the boot! Don’t want to go to a full road tire just in case I get a flat in the bush and need something a bit more robust
Did you see my post (#19)? I don’t try to close it b/c it puts more pressure on it than I’d like, but at 24 psi, it did close.

Several factors are at play. First, rotate the tire so the side lugs are spaced to let the latch sit between them. Second, as you tighten the spare down, jiggle it to help it get centered. What looks like the center isn’t actually where the tire settles best. I even tried it with and without the liner under the tire and it didn’t make much difference. Centering the tire is key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks yes - I did check that out. I’m think I’m keen on getting a decent fit. The TG don’t have those side lugs so maybe they’ll fit a bit more easier. What do you reckon?

·
Registered
GC TH
477 Posts
Thanks yes - I did check that out. I’m think I’m keen on getting a decent fit. The TG don’t have those side lugs so maybe they’ll fit a bit more easier. What do you reckon?
Check Nitto’s site and see what the width measurements say. As long as it isn’t a wider tire, it may work a little better. It may still have to be aired down though, if you want the lid to closed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts