Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know this thread is old but I was at work yesterday waiting for something to get done before leaving for the day and was perusing the boards and decided to read this thread for no particular reason.
I had been bothered by a strange rattle that would come and go from time to time and figured it was girl showing her age (2012). I looked everywhere for the source but never found it. After reading this thread and the suggestion to check the headliner, I got in my car and pressed up on the headliner around my sunroof and heard three very satisfying snaps. The ride home last night and the ride in to work this morning let me know the strange and random rattle was gone. Thanks to the community for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
Starting week four of not having my Trailhawk. Still creaking and groaning from the C pillar/Sunroof area. TSB performed, didn't work, Re-routing sunroof drain hose, didn't work. More body adhesive added to the previous added adhesive...didn't work. Structural foam added....didn't work. Dealer asked me to call Chrysler to open a case with with them. I sent Jeep Cares a PM with details.

I was completely excited and proud to own this Jeep. I don't even want a new one, just want mine fixed and back, but if it can't be done...what's next?
Did you ever get this resolved? I have mine at the dealer for the same creaking noise and they performed the tsb, however it’s still creaking. Dealer is still working on it, told them I don’t want it back till it’s fixed especially since it’s under warranty still. I have a case open with Chrysler right now on this. They gotta figure this out. Can’t even drive down the street without hearing what sounds like an old creaky door that needs wd40

·
Registered
Trailhawk
146 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I have mine at the dealer for the same creaking noise and they performed the tsb, however it’s still creaking. Dealer is still working on it, told them I don’t want it back till it’s fixed especially since it’s under warranty still. I have a case open with Chrysler right now on this. They gotta figure this out. Can’t even drive down the street without hearing what sounds like an old creaky door that needs wd40
It took six weeks for the techs to figure it out. I do give them credit they ripped out almost the whole interior working on it. Thought they had it fixed, I rode with them..it cropped up again....fix, ride....try again...
Finally the Service manager used a fuel line as a stethescope and while a tech drove he searched the roof/sunroof area for the cause. A special order adhesive and a couple days to cure it was fixed. No creaks and I'm really sensitive to stuff like that...except for my old XJ!

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
It took six weeks for the techs to figure it out. I do give them credit they ripped out almost the whole interior working on it. Thought they had it fixed, I rode with them..it cropped up again....fix, ride....try again...
Finally the Service manager used a fuel line as a stethescope and while a tech drove he searched the roof/sunroof area for the cause. A special order adhesive and a couple days to cure it was fixed. No creaks and I'm really sensitive to stuff like that...except for my old XJ!
What was the name of the special order adhesive and where did they apply it? I would like to relay the message to my dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Summit has a 'squeaky' noise coming from above the rear right seat area of the headliner around the pano roof. I've pulled down the headliner a few inches and looked/felt around and cannot figure out what is rubbing against what. I put a small bathroom wash cloth up in there and pressed the headliner back up until the 'hooks' snapped back in and this has greatly reduced the occurrence of the noise. It used to make the squeaks going over even really small bumpy patches of road and not it only does it when the bumps are more heavy.

I'm thinking about trying to find some foam that is a few inches thick that I could put up in there that would 'compress' more than the wash cloth is. Any thoughts on this approach?

·
Registered
Trailhawk
146 Posts
What was the name of the special order adhesive and where did they apply it? I would like to relay the message to my dealer
I'm sorry I just saw this...I don't know the name, it was some kind of butyl adhesive and they applied it to the a roof rib near the sunroof. I wish I could be more specific but they had it back together before I could know the exact location. The adhesive is something that the new Ram trucks needed to have added to their hood to keep a portion of it from "fluttering" at high speed.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
I'm sorry I just saw this...I don't know the name, it was some kind of butyl adhesive and they applied it to the a roof rib near the sunroof. I wish I could be more specific but they had it back together before I could know the exact location. The adhesive is something that the new Ram trucks needed to have added to their hood to keep a portion of it from "fluttering" at high speed.
All good. Since I originally posted this, my Jeep has been at the dealer for almost a month. I believe the adhesive is called “Lord fusor 112 structural adhesive” which is outlined in the tsb. My dealer has told me that they applied it to the effected area of the structure that is causing the noise. They told me it takes around 72 hours to cure. These past weeks they were just waiting for it as well as the caulk gun to apply it. So hoping it’s fixed and I get it back Tuesday

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,143 Posts
I've been having a very annoying rattle above the drivers head coming from the sunroof for the past month in my 2015. It doesn't seem like it fits the TSB. Last night I pulled the B and C pillar trim and pulled down the headliner to expose what I could of the sunroof assembly and tracked down the location of the rattle.

The photo below shows the area where it's coming from, it is the rear left (drivers) corner of the rear section of glass. It appears there should be a bolt that goes into the brass washer? I separated the velcro on the passenger side and with an inspection mirror saw it also did not have a bolt in the same location but there are threads.

Oddly enough my roof has some damage to it in that area (unverified if it's the same location as I just correlated the two this morning) that might have been someone putting a bolt in that location that was too long? The service history shows no service to the sunroof though. Is anyone familiar with the assembly that could verify the bolt locations, the FSM doesn't have clear pictures to tell where exact locations are.

·
Registered
2019 JGC Trailhawk
24 Posts
I took my 2019 Trailhawk (with 11k miles) to the dealer for a sunroof related rattle 2 days ago. They called me today saying they drove down the road and didn't hear any "out of the ordinary" rattle. So I asked if they heard any rattling and deemed "normal or ordinary" and SA said "with comparable models and age, yes". I find that highly ironic especially considering the loaner was a 2018 Renegade, possibly the worst newer vehicle I've driven, yet despite it being over 50% cheaper, older, and more miles it has no rattles :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer wanted $1200 in parts (the entire track + glass, both of which are on backorder) and I can't even imagine how much in labor to fix the rattling issue I am having.

I took matters into my own hands.

I grabbed some cardboard and "accordion folded" it a bunch and jammed it nicely into the track on both sides - I've attached a photo of one side. No more creaking or rattling of any kind coming from the sunroof any longer. I can still use the front portion of the sunroof, too, assuming I only want to crack it. Honestly though, I never use my sunroof and have the visor on it at all times (which still closes 100%). :D
Hi, I have had to do the exact same thing, though I wrapped black tape around the cardboard, you can hardly see it unless you look very closely......

81 - 90 of 90 Posts