Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2015 JGC limited with the 3.6L V6 4x4. Everything on it is stock and it does not have Quadralift. It did not come with the factory tow package. My manual does not list a discrepancy between factory tow package and aftermarket towing capacity (as I know it does in other model years) it just says 6200lbs with a class IV hitch.

I have read a lot of posts about how capable or incapable the vehicle is as a tow vehicle. My goal is to tow a boat that weighs between 3-3.5k lbs dry (that I don’t own yet).

In an ideal world I would pick up a half ton truck but the Jeep is paid off and the tow capacity seems pretty close.

My question to everyone is - what modifications can I make to my GC that will really maximize its potential and deliver the most stable ride while towing and specific components you would give priority to? IE: upgraded suspension, lift, transmission cooler, trailer brake, larger tires/smaller tires - whatever you got, throw it at me!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
You will not have the same capability without Factory Towing which is more than a hitch receiver and wiring. That said, you should be able to handle a boat in the 3-3.5K pound range (including trailer) without much problem.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,425 Posts
I agree with Jim. W/O tow and w/3.6 you're technical limit is 3500 pounds. I would say that's on the conservative side. The tow packs have the same brakes and running gear with only extra cooling. I wouldn't hesitate to tow that much.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
140 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee Towing Package and Features

Before you start towing, you need to make sure you have the right equipment to tow. The Trailer Tow Group IV package comes with a Class IV receiver hitch, wiring harness, a full-size spare tire, engine cooling system, and 180-amp alternator. The Laredo, Limited, Overland, and Summit trims also have a rear load-leveling suspension in this package.

Yes you can upgrade or add a transmission cooler and oil cooler aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts