Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, which of these two is the better off-roader? I have a 2015 JGC Overland and was contemplating my next vehicle and was thinking of doing a pick-up. The Power Wagon is awesome but just too big for my needs so was looking at the Ram 1500 Rebel. It seems like a decent off-road vehicle with air suspension and some other tricks, but no locking diffs for some reason.

So head to head in an imaginary off-road course, the newest JGC Trailhawk vs. the newest Ram 1500 Rebel, who wins?

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
- Ram 1500 Rebel has towing and hauling, but it can also handle more intense off-road conditions. Has standard skid plates, tow hooks, 33-inch tires, and an air suspension system to make rough terrain more comfortable.

- The Jeep Grand Cherokee has off-road capability with the Selec-Terrain traction system and multiple four-wheel drive options. Also can tow up to 7,400 pounds, has skid plates, and 18-inch Kevlar-reinforced tires.

- If they drop the 6.2L SC Hellcat motor in the Ram 1500 Rebel.....that would be my choice for any off-road and on-road curbs, bushes, and anything else I could make it over lol.

- So I guess it really comes down to what kind of off-road terrain. IMO I would think the rebel would win from the factory. Both great vehicles though just depends on which suits your needs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
A truck will always be heavier duty (even if it's only a 1/2 ton). That said, a truck has a longer wheel base and that can be good or very frustrating on tight trails. As you mentioned the Power Wagon is in another league of off road abilities as it is a no-holds-bar purpose built beast. If you are going off road to hunt then a truck is a lot more suited to the dirty enviorment. The Jeep is great for running the back trails for fun of when the weather really gets bad. The short wheel base can also give it a better edge on technical trails. It's really what you want it for. There is no bad choice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Generally, the Ram would do a better job it most off road conditions. It has taller tires, more aggressive tires, higher ground clearance, more suspension travel, and doesn't 3 wheel as much.

The only scenario I see the Jeep winning in, would be tight trails and switchbacks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Why is the Jeep 5.7L hemi only 360hp and the Dodge 5.7L hemi is 395hp?

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
This has come up previously, and I think the answer (based on my feeble memory...) is related to different setups for aspiration, etc., that allows the Hemi in the larger truck to develop more horsepower. More room doesn't hurt...

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,249 Posts
Seems odd, but the tq is 395-390 on the D and 390 on the jeep. Believe both are 360.

Where did you see that?

Back on topic, i like both but would go with the Rebel this time around.

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,249 Posts
I stand corrected. For some reason i was thinking Durango.

Definately take the RAM.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
524 Posts
Can you get a new or used Rebel with a diesel?
The Rebel was only offered with the gas V6 or the Hemi V8. No diesel option was ever offered in the Rebel trim.

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,249 Posts
Curious how that 32 gal tank on the Rebel will do on the Hemi. Over $100.00 to fill up. But i want it.

600-700 mpg range maybe???

·
Registered
468 Posts

This has come up previously, and I think the answer (based on my feeble memory...) is related to different setups for aspiration, etc., that allows the Hemi in the larger truck to develop more horsepower. More room doesn't hurt...

So a cold air intake on the jeep 5.7 might unlock a lot of power?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Generally, the Ram would do a better job it most off road conditions. It has taller tires, more aggressive tires, higher ground clearance, more suspension travel, and doesn't 3 wheel as much.

The only scenario I see the Jeep winning in, would be tight trails and switchbacks.
As a Ram owner, and a GC owner, I've got a unique perspective. My GC is an Overland, so some minor differences from the Trailhawk. My Ram is a sport, so some minor differences from the Rebel. That said, both of mine are modified, and pretty much capable of the same as the other packages.
FWIW, the Rebel package doesn't really add much that can't be done aftermarket. It's primarily a package for people who don't want to modify a brand new truck. I lifted my Ram, put flares on it, and larger off-road tires. My friend has a Rebel, and his truck is basically set up like mine is now, but his was all factory installed, plus it has some nice appearance items not available on other trims.
As for the Jeep. I don't know anyone with a Trailhawk for a direct comparison, but mine is pretty dang capable with the simple addition of off-road tires.

So to compare the Ram to the GC. While not the exact comparison you're looking at, I am comparing a Sport to an Overland, which by trim levels would be similar to comparing a Rebel to a Trailhawk.
My Ram does seem more "comfortable" off road, but the Jeep is easier to negotiate the tight areas of a trail better.
As others have said it really comes down to how you're going to use them, and even which one you like the look/feel of better. Both are great choices, so you're not likely to regret either one.

Curious how that 32 gal tank on the Rebel will do on the Hemi. Over $100.00 to fill up. But i want it.

600-700 mpg range maybe???
That range is about right. I have the Hemi in mine, and even with 35" off-road tires and a lift, I'm getting about 16 mpg around town and on trails. If I drive on the interstate I get a little better, so I think around 600 mile range on a tank. On a stock configuration you should be able to push out that extra 100 miles, since the city mileage was around 18, and highway closer to 20.
They're thirsty when you're into the throttle, but man is it strong when you need it.

Attachments

Reactions: Cerebus

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
So a cold air intake on the jeep 5.7 might unlock a lot of power?
Nope...CAI adds sound, but very limited performance improvement. Why? The OEM design in the JGC is already pretty efficient. You'd have to do some major modifications to the intake system to gain noticeable increase in power. There are other minor differences in the RAM setup that contribute to the slightly higher HP rating...but I'm not a mechanic and don't play one on TV...so I can't detail them. Some of them are going to be related to the "choices" that a manufacturer makes in designs relative to the purpose of the vehicle I'm sure, and JGC is a "passenger vehicle" while RAM is a "truck". (despite the fact that these days there's total crossover in actual use)

·
Registered
468 Posts
FWIW, the Rebel package doesn't really add much that can't be done aftermarket. It's primarily a package for people who don't want to modify a brand new truck. I lifted my Ram, put flares on it, and larger off-road tires. My friend has a Rebel, and his truck is basically set up like mine is now, but his was all factory installed, plus it has some nice appearance items not available on other trims.
The Rebel has factory air suspension with 2" more height then any other factory Ram trim. That is hard for some people to add aftermarket IMO.

I am seriously considering trading my Trailhawk in for a Rebel late next year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts