Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nope...CAI adds sound, but very limited performance improvement....
Yeah with modern engines they really don't do a lot by themselves. It's an important part if you start doing other engine mods, but as a stand alone mod you're really only gaining sound. This has been a very active topic on a Charger forum I'm a member of. It seems (from many threads there) that the biggest effect they have is a placebo. It sounds better, the person thinks it's supposed to help, so they "feel" a gain. They're not going to hurt, but will only be a minimal aid at best.

The Rebel has factory air suspension with 2" more height then any other factory Ram trim. That is hard for some people to add aftermarket IMO.

I am seriously considering trading my Trailhawk in for a Rebel late next year.
Air suspension is available on many trims other than Rebel.
Yes it's an extra 2" higher, but that's not that hard to add (did it alone in less than a day). Take a look at the photo, and you'll see my truck (white) is higher than my friend's Rebel (red). Both are set at normal ride height.

As you said though, that may be hard for some to add aftermarket, I absolutely agree with that. I certainly wasn't implying the Rebel isn't nice or that it didn't have extras. I was just pointing out that it's a factory option for those who will find it hard to do those extras. I did my own upgrades, but some people can't do that stuff, or are afraid to mod a new truck. My friend didn't have to do anything but drive his Rebel off the lot. He's also got that great looking grille, and unique interior. On the flip side, I have heated/cooled leather seats and some other goodies that aren't/weren't an option on the Rebel.

If you're looking at Rams, it's definitely worth looking at the Rebel, especially if you don't want to mod a new truck. It's a great trim. It's off-road ready straight off the showroom floor, and I really like the look of them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Air suspension is available on many trims other than Rebel.
Yes it's an extra 2" higher, but that's not that hard to add (did it alone in less than a day). Take a look at the photo, and you'll see my truck (white) is higher than my friend's Rebel (red). Both are set at normal ride height.

As you said though, that may be hard for some to add aftermarket, I absolutely agree with that. I certainly wasn't implying the Rebel isn't nice or that it didn't have extras. I was just pointing out that it's a factory option for those who will find it hard to do those extras. I did my own upgrades, but some people can't do that stuff, or are afraid to mod a new truck. My friend didn't have to do anything but drive his Rebel off the lot. He's also got that great looking grille, and unique interior. On the flip side, I have heated/cooled leather seats and some other goodies that aren't/weren't an option on the Rebel.
Air suspension on other Ram trims? I didn't know that.
What picture?
Heated front seats and steering wheel is standard on 2018 Rebel.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I attached a photo on post #18. My Sport, next to my friend's Rebel.

Heated seats and steering wheel are standard on Rebel, but not ventilated seats. Those aren't even an option, since the Rebel seats are leather trimmed vinyl (with embossed tread pattern). When it first came out it didn't have enter-'n-go key (it's optional now), and IIRC you still can't get the front park sensors, since they're not compatible with the Rebel bumper. Funny because those senors come in really handy on a trail so you don't hit trees/rocks when creeping through a tight spot.
It's all little stuff that's different between trims. Likewise it could also be said that only Rebel has that rugged looking bumper/grille, and the red stitching on the interior trim. It's a great package, and I considered one when they came out. I decided against it though, since I didn't want to give up some of my tech for the more off roady grille/bumper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am considering these two, also. Am planning to get air suspension on either vehicle for the benefit of entry/exit height and off road height.

One of the goals is to make entry/exit easier for older passengers. I previously had a Grand Cherokee with air suspension, and it worked well for that purpose.

Can anyone with a Ram 1500 with air suspension give some perspective on entry/exit ease for older passengers? How much more difficult/hazardous is this vs. the Grand Cherokee?

Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I test drive a Rebel a few weeks ago. It’s a large vehicle, so not so great on tight trails. Would probably bottom out really easy. Cool looking truck though. I think there was a TFL YouTube video at Moab with a Ram scraping all over the place.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts