Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle

I was in a bad accident 3 weeks ago, (everyone is fine!) the damage is extensive. We only had it 10 months, brand new.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

The insurance company said its a potential total loss, but that's all I've got from them. I'm assuming they will, but I'm not sure. We want to get a new car, but have to wait till they give an answer. Anyone think it's a total loss?

·
Premium Member
2022 Grand Cherokee Overland
282 Posts
You will need to get an estimate to know if it’s totaled. Make sure you bring up diminished value if they don’t total it. Once a car is in a major accident the value will always take a hit at trade in.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
578 Posts
You will need to get an estimate to know if it’s totaled. Make sure you bring up diminished value if they don’t total it. Once a car is in a major accident the value will always take a hit at trade in.
Diminished value, I think most insurances pay for the repair but even if it’s not your fault you always lose when selling the vehicle in the future, at least that is what I am thinking 🤔

·
Registered
501 Posts
Check the unibody for signs of deformation. If it's wrinkled around the tub or door frames, they'll never be able to repair it to the same condition it was before the accident. You should hope they total it, IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check the unibody for signs of deformation. If it's wrinkled around the tub or door frames, they'll never be able to repair it to the same condition it was before the accident. You should hope they total it, IMO.
The rear passenger door will not close and the left rear tire is tilted back into the wheel well. I talked to the salesman I bought it from, and he said that it is almost impossible to get the parts, because most are back ordered. I seriously do hope they total it, I don't think it could be fixed to "like new" before the accident. (I was not at fault)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the left rear is the only impact point I don't see any way that will total
It had serious impact. The gentleman was going 55, ran a red light and hit my suv, it spun us around 3 times. He actually went on to hit another car head on, and caused a fatality. My SUV was un-driveable. The police had to use their car to push it to the side of the road. The side airbag deployed (those airbags are brutal!) And the tire is completely tilted and pushed inward in the wheel well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Based on images and parts availability issues, 99% it will be a total. Depending on the state you are in, and if purchase or lease, a diminished value claim is only good if they can fix it. Hope for a total - and if they push back - tell then you are speaking to your attorney. They typically will go above and beyond to avoid that.

The most important thing - glad you are ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on images and parts availability issues, 99% it will be a total. Depending on the state you are in, and if purchase or lease, a diminished value claim is only good if they can fix it. Hope for a total - and if they push back - tell then you are speaking to your attorney. They typically will go above and beyond to avoid that.

The most important thing - glad you are ok.
Thank you! It is a leased vehicle. At this point I just want to know if they will total it, because I need a new SUV! Thank you, it was my 1st accident and it was very traumatic. Bumps and bruises, but we were okay, that was the most important thing.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
578 Posts
Thank you! It is a leased vehicle. At this point I just want to know if they will total it, because I need a new SUV! Thank you, it was my 1st accident and it was very traumatic. Bumps and bruises, but we were okay, that was the most important thing.
since you are not the owner I wouldn't worry too much about repair vs. new, you are basically driving a rental and you simply want a new rental real quick so to say, correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
since you are not the owner I wouldn't worry too much about repair vs. new, you are basically driving a rental and you simply want a new rental real quick so to say,
since you are not the owner I wouldn't worry too much about repair vs. new, you are basically driving a rental and you simply want a new rental real quick so to say, correct?
Basically, yes. The issue is, if they repair it, it could take several months or more, depending on if the parts are available, or on backorder. I will not have a car during that time, since my rental car has to be returned October 1st.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee L Laredo 3.6L V6 Pentastar
44 Posts
What is your agent telling you? Your comprehensive policy likely has a relatively short rental allowance, however the other side should be compelled to get the Jeep totaled or repaired with a rental. Your agent will be helpful in moving this along and giving you the tools you need to force the issue. Three weeks is unreasonable.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Your insurance company will subrogate against the at-fault driver's insurance company. If the door doesn't close, the unibody is bent and will almost certainly never be repairable to 'identical to before the accident'. The parts availability and the cost of a like-kind rental will be astronomical, too, so I would be shocked if they fight totaling it.

·
Registered
WL 2022 Trailhawk
14 Posts
So sorry this happened. I hit a deer head on in my 2019 WK JGC Hight Altitude with only $2,000 miles. I was really upset. Luckily the body was not damaged and I found a great Jeep Dealership to fix it. I was able to later trade it in without any hit on the blue book value for my new 2022 Trailhawk. Fingers crossed history does not repeat itself. 🤞

1 - 20 of 27 Posts