Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it happened to me today, driving along on a road I drive daily, nobody in front of me, im driving 25 in a 30, and suddenly, the Jeep slams its brakes to a complete stop. the car behind me drove up a curb across someones lawn to avoid hitting me. then it just starts going again like nothing happened. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA already. 2022 Limited L, 5,390 miles.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
well it happened to me today, driving along on a road I drive daily, nobody in front of me, im driving 25 in a 30, and suddenly, the Jeep slams its brakes to a complete stop. the car behind me drove up a curb across someones lawn to avoid hitting me. then it just starts going again like nothing happened. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA already. 2022 Limited L, 5,390 miles.
I've never had my 2014 with the same/similar autobraking system get quite that carried away but it has occasionally applied due to a vehicle in an adjacent lane drifting a bit to close. I'm pretty sure I've been able to override it by giving it a lot of throttle. That's not a fix but if it happens again you might try some throttle as that would be better then just coming to a stop and getting hit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had my 2014 with the same/similar autobraking system get quite that carried away but it has occasionally applied due to a vehicle in an adjacent lane drifting a bit to close. I'm pretty sure I've been able to override it by giving it a lot of throttle. That's not a fix but if it happens again you might try some throttle as that would be better then just coming to a stop and getting hit.
it was actually pretty wild when it happened, prior to this I had a Honda Odyssey and its system would flash "brake" then apply the brakes slowly and get harder.. The Jeep flashed something on the display to quick to read and slammed the brakes at what I would call 100%, the tires squeeled and the ABS activated, my foot was on the throttle just enough to maintain 25 MPH the Jeep stopped in a hurry, my wife yelled at me like I did it and both my kids were scared.. thankfully they are 7 and 9 (not newborns anymore)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Closest thing I experienced:

Trying to back up into my driveway and I have a privacy gate. Stopped in alley and opened the gate and proceeded to back up. Right when I was about to cross the gate, it slammed the brakes and wouldn’t let me go back. It’s like it thought the gate was still closed.

Zero help to you but figured I would share.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That happened to me in my 2018, totally unexpected. I turned it off in the Uconnect. Never happened again. And when my 2022 GCSR appears, I will do the same thing. Don't need any stinkin nannies to help me drive...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Not sure where I read it, owner's manual or repair manual, but in regard to either the emergency braking and/or the adaptive cruise control braking it was stated that the system would not fully apply the brakes.. it would stop if need be but it would not use max braking force possible.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,133 Posts
Check your vehicles haven't been hacked if they got wireless...I seen Die Hard 4.0...

·
Registered
379 Posts
My 2019 Ram did that to me twice. Once while backing up display said "BRAKE!" and it definitely did...thought I hit something at first. Second time...merging on highway. Found out the sensors were dirty. But you can turn off the brake assist in the Uconnect menu.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
337 Posts
OK, first, everyone needs to differentiate two different systems/situations.
Forward and reverse. They are totally different, reverse is to prevent you backing up over something like a little kid that may move into the area behind while you are backing up, and will trigger a brake stab that feels like you actually hit something.
The forward braking issue, whatever it is, us totally unrelated. Personally I have only experienced the automatic braking in reverse, when backing into my garage at odd angles. It is very startling and feels like you backed into a pole. I will NEVER turn that off, I cannot imagine the horror of backing over something/someone period, than knowing I turned off something that would have prevented it is even worse.
I have not experienced forward braking, hope I never do, I have had "BRAKE" alerts on my 2012, in addition to animal warning on this 2021 (deer jumped across in front of me).

·
Registered
379 Posts
OK, first, everyone needs to differentiate two different systems/situations.
Forward and reverse. They are totally different, reverse is to prevent you backing up over something like a little kid that may move into the area behind while you are backing up, and will trigger a brake stab that feels like you actually hit something.
The forward braking issue, whatever it is, us totally unrelated. Personally I have only experienced the automatic braking in reverse, when backing into my garage at odd angles. It is very startling and feels like you backed into a pole. I will NEVER turn that off, I cannot imagine the horror of backing over something/someone period, than knowing I turned off something that would have prevented it is even worse.
I have not experienced forward braking, hope I never do, I have had "BRAKE" alerts on my 2012, in addition to animal warning on this 2021 (deer jumped across in front of me).
Totally different? It's all one system lol.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The system is sensors and software. The software would know whether it's reading front sensor data verus rear sensor data. The software can react differently to front sensor data versus rear sensor data. Its very likely the system reacts quite differently to rear sensor inputs than it does to front sensor inputs. It's also very likely the front data comes from the radar sensor for the adaptive cruise control because of the distance to the hazard when at driving speeds; the bumper sensors would be useless. Since there is no radar sensor in the rear and the speeds are single digits it would be relying on the bumper sensors that have only a few feet of range. If it's to react at all its reactions will be to things within a few feet of the vehicle and the reaction must be quick and hard. If it reacts slowly and softly it would let the vehicle hit/roll over the sensed hazard before it took enough action to be useful in preventing harm.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The system is sensors and software. The software would know whether it's reading front sensor data verus rear sensor data. The software can react differently to front sensor data versus rear sensor data. Its very likely the system reacts quite differently to rear sensor inputs than it does to front sensor inputs. It's also very likely the front data comes from the radar sensor for the adaptive cruise control because of the distance to the hazard when at driving speeds; the bumper sensors would be useless. Since there is no radar sensor in the rear and the speeds are single digits it would be relying on the bumper sensors that have only a few feet of range. If it's to react at all its reactions will be to things within a few feet of the vehicle and the reaction must be quick and hard. If it reacts slowly and softly it would let the vehicle hit/roll over the sensed hazard before it took enough action to be useful in preventing harm.
Solid explanation! But the system that's responsible for applying the brakes is the same whether it's from the front or rear. Just reads information two different ways. If its causing an issue either way...turning it off solves that issue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No, the OP posted about driving down the road and the Jeep coming to a stop, then people posting about the backup up stuff, unrelated to what the OP posted about, whatever that may be.
It is all connected to the battery, but posting about the battery is unrelated as well, just trying to get it specific to what the thread is about.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No, the OP posted about driving down the road and the Jeep coming to a stop, then people posting about the backup up stuff, unrelated to what the OP posted about, whatever that may be.
It is all connected to the battery, but posting about the battery is unrelated as well, just trying to get it specific to what the thread is about.
I agree...the battery has nothing to do with the issue. I only mention backing up because the system is all tied together, it just gets the information differently while driving forward.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Solid explanation! But the system that's responsible for applying the brakes is the same whether it's from the front or rear. Just reads information two different ways. If its causing an issue either way...turning it off solves that issue.
Yes. If you could turn off the front, if it's giving the kind of issues the OP had, but leave the back on I would turn off the front. As another poster said, turning off the back seems like something you might regret. When I'm backing up at 3.7 mph and it throws on the brakes it's not a big deal (unless it keeps doing it while I'm launching my 45 foot yacht) so ideally I'd want to keep the back on even if it over reacts at times.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes. If you could turn off the front, if it's giving the kind of issues the OP had, but leave the back on I would turn off the front. As another poster said, turning off the back seems like something you might regret. When I'm backing up at 3.7 mph and it throws on the brakes it's not a big deal (unless it keeps doing it while I'm launching my 45 foot yacht) so ideally I'd want to keep the back on even if it over reacts at times.
I know in my 2019 Ram I can't turn only the front or back off...it's either on or off completely. Is it different for the Jeep?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can't imagine how nuts it would be backing up with a trailer and that system kicking in. I thought it was disabled when trailer is connected or something like that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sat in the jeep and found an area where you can choose the sensitivity, near, normal, and far. mine was set to far. I moved it to near thinking it would reduce the sensitivity.

Believe it or not, 7/30 I have the family in the car and am heading to my wife's aunts house, I am on another road, stopped, waiting to turn left, directional on. I wait for an oncoming car to pass and I start going, the Jeep slams its brakes again. and again, nobody coming- nothing for me to hit. My wife thinks (and shes ALWAYS right, LOL) that the jeep prob thought the oncoming car was still there. I do turn left quickly once an oncoming car passes. maybe shes right, I wish there was a way to access its thoughts.

Anyway, I pulled over and turned the thing off. its set to notify only, no braking.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I sat in the jeep and found an area where you can choose the sensitivity, near, normal, and far. mine was set to far. I moved it to near thinking it would reduce the sensitivity.

Believe it or not, 7/30 I have the family in the car and am heading to my wife's aunts house, I am on another road, stopped, waiting to turn left, directional on. I wait for an oncoming car to pass and I start going, the Jeep slams its brakes again. and again, nobody coming- nothing for me to hit. My wife thinks (and shes ALWAYS right, LOL) that the jeep prob thought the oncoming car was still there. I do turn left quickly once an oncoming car passes. maybe shes right, I wish there was a way to access its thoughts.

Anyway, I pulled over and turned the thing off. its set to notify only, no braking.
Better off. Next they'll develop a system that will tell you when you can take your foot off of the brake or something lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts