Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2022 GC WL Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2022 Grand Cherokee Overland WL a few months ago and I have less than 600 miles on it. I tried to start it yesterday and the console came on, but when I pushed the button, it clicked, and everything went dark. The battery voltage was 9.7v, so I tried to jump it. It still wouldn't start. I tried to charge the battery and it stayed at 7.5A and wouldn't charge. I called the dealer, got the Stellantis towing number, and set up a tow to the dealer. They said they would text me with the ETA but after several hours I hadn't received anything, so I called them back. The automated response told me the truck would arrive in 8 minutes. After 1/2 hour I received a text asking if the truck arrived and it had not, so I responded No. A short time later I got a call from the driver saying he was 25 minutes out. He arrived in about that time, but at my neighbor's house. After he got to my house, he wanted to try to jump start it again. Apparently, they didn't tell him anything about the vehicle. He didn't know that the battery was not in the engine compartment, and I had to show him where to hook the cables. It still didn't start. He started hooking it up for the tow and was planning to use a dolly on the rear wheels leaving the front wheels on the ground. I told him the manual said it had to be transported with all 4 wheels off the ground and asked if they could transport it on a flat bed. They did not have one available but did have a dolly for the front wheels, so they were able transport it with all 4 wheels off the ground. I haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but I suspect the battery is the problem. I expected that Stellantis would have provided the towing company with the proper procedures for towing, but I guess they did not.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
"I tried to charge the battery and it stayed at 7.5A and wouldn't charge. "
How long?, what all was turned on, was the door open, was anything plugged into any of the 12v jacks...
A battery doesn't go dead just sitting, definitely not under 10V, something drained it.
7.5A would take a looooong time to charge a battery that low enough to start it, like a couple hours probably.

· Registered
2022 GC WL Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I tried to charge the battery and it stayed at 7.5A and wouldn't charge. "
How long?, what all was turned on, was the door open, was anything plugged into any of the 12v jacks...
A battery doesn't go dead just sitting, definitely not under 10V, something drained it.
7.5A would take a looooong time to charge a battery that low enough to start it, like a couple hours probably.
I had it on charge for just over an hour and it didn't go down at all. The vehicle was sitting for a week, but the battery shouldn't have run down. There were no additional accessories running. Nothing was plugged in, the door was not open, no lights left on. The only load would have been what is normally part of the vehicle. I would think it should have been able to be jump started. I'm wondering if the battery had a bad cell.

· Registered
2022 GC WL Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer just called. They said they had trouble jump starting it this morning, but did get it started. They brought it into the shop and the battery checked at 100% charge and they could restart it. They are going to leave it out overnight and see if it will start tomorrow morning. They said they had a few more things to check. I hope they can find something.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
The dealer just called. They said they had trouble jump starting it this morning, but did get it started. They brought it into the shop and the battery checked at 100% charge and they could restart it. They are going to leave it out overnight and see if it will start tomorrow morning. They said they had a few more things to check. I hope they can find something.
I've had cars act weird as heck, won't charge, won't start, seems dead, tests fine. Ended up being a poor cable connection on the battery. One of those odd things, it would appear connected until a lot of current passed, then it would act disconnected. I forget if it was corrosion, or loose, but the issue was at the battery terminal itself.

· Registered
2022 GC WL Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had cars act weird as heck, won't charge, won't start, seems dead, tests fine. Ended up being a poor cable connection on the battery. One of those odd things, it would appear connected until a lot of current passed, then it would act disconnected. I forget if it was corrosion, or loose, but the issue was at the battery terminal itself.
Yeah. I think it may be a cable. If I measured 9.7V in the engine compartment and they said the battery was at 100%, it sounds like an intermittent connection issue.

· Registered
509 Posts
what are the few more things to check?
Do they realize it is the WL model is the issue?

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Yeah. I think it may be a cable. If I measured 9.7V in the engine compartment and they said the battery was at 100%, it sounds like an intermittent connection issue.
The only 'resting' battery drain problem I've read about has to do with the rear hatch sensor. I'm not sure if it's the latch sensor or the foot release or the hatch switch, but others have written about it on here, and it's a known issue to Jeep so there may be a TSB on it. I would ask the dealer about that. I would also ask them if the battery passed a drawdown test. A lot of simple chargers will show '100%' after charging, but the battery will not hold a charge very long, or provide the CCA's it's supposed to.

Also ask them to check the alternator output to make sure it's actually charging the battery as designed. They should know to do all that, but it doesn't mean the individual performing the tasks actually will.

Something caused it to drain while parked, though, and I would be surprised if it didn't happen again if they can't find the reason it happened the first time.

When you get it back, check to see that your memory settings are not being lost, too.

The batteries in these things are really weak IMO for the task, so another option I'm looking into when mine arrives is replacing the basic lead acid 650CCA H7 battery with an Odyssey H8 AGM battery that has 950 CCA's, and is also much more resilient to draw down and cold temps. They aren't super cheap, but it's $300 well spent for me, for sort of a 50%+ performance improvement. All modern cars have a lot of electronics that draw on the battery when sitting, especially ones with remote-sensing keys (always on, looking for a key signal to turn on approach lights, etc.

Good luck, and let us know what they find for the benefit of others in the future.

· Registered
2023 GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND 4X4
16 Posts
I went to remote start my 2023 GC Overland this morning, and discovered it didn't remote start. When I tried to start it normally, it too didn't start. Tried several times, even waiting an hour, no luck. Tow came, they were able to start it with a battery jump pack connected. The tow driver said they've been seeing a lot of problems with these cars when it gets cold, and mentioned there's some battery pack or module under the hood by the jump points that said is the problem. He was able to drive it on his flatbed and it's on it's way to the dealer. 1,200 miles in, 6 weeks of ownership.

· Registered
2022 GC WL Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I went to remote start my 2023 GC Overland this morning, and discovered it didn't remote start. When I tried to start it normally, it too didn't start. Tried several times, even waiting an hour, no luck. Tow came, they were able to start it with a battery jump pack connected. The tow driver said they've been seeing a lot of problems with these cars when it gets cold, and mentioned there's some battery pack or module under the hood by the jump points that said is the problem. He was able to drive it on his flatbed and it's on it's way to the dealer. 1,200 miles in, 6 weeks of ownership.

Thanks for the info. I called my service department and let them know. They said they are still looking at it. Luckily, I still have my 2005 Explorer (265K miles) to drive. I see your video now. That's pretty much what mine did.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Looks like it's as simple as your battery is just dead. Why is the question they kneed to resolve.

I'm hoping to have found a PN for an H8 tie down to swap a 950 CCA Odyssey H8 for the weak 650 CCA stock battery soon. $280 well spent IMO. But even with that, if there's something causing drain or preventing charging on yours, any battery would die eventually.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
I bought a new 2022 Grand Cherokee Overland WL a few months ago and I have less than 600 miles on it. I tried to start it yesterday and the console came on, but when I pushed the button, it clicked, and everything went dark. The battery voltage was 9.7v, so I tried to jump it. It still wouldn't start. I tried to charge the battery and it stayed at 7.5A and wouldn't charge. I called the dealer, got the Stellantis towing number, and set up a tow to the dealer. They said they would text me with the ETA but after several hours I hadn't received anything, so I called them back. The automated response told me the truck would arrive in 8 minutes. After 1/2 hour I received a text asking if the truck arrived and it had not, so I responded No. A short time later I got a call from the driver saying he was 25 minutes out. He arrived in about that time, but at my neighbor's house. After he got to my house, he wanted to try to jump start it again. Apparently, they didn't tell him anything about the vehicle. He didn't know that the battery was not in the engine compartment, and I had to show him where to hook the cables. It still didn't start. He started hooking it up for the tow and was planning to use a dolly on the rear wheels leaving the front wheels on the ground. I told him the manual said it had to be transported with all 4 wheels off the ground and asked if they could transport it on a flat bed. They did not have one available but did have a dolly for the front wheels, so they were able transport it with all 4 wheels off the ground. I haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but I suspect the battery is the problem. I expected that Stellantis would have provided the towing company with the proper procedures for towing, but I guess they did not.
We are very sorry to hear of this situation, pauljk! If you'd like to discuss with us further or need some extra support during dealership appointments, send a private message or call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Hi there! If you need support at the dealership or want to discuss further, send our team a private message or call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
2022 GC WL Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
They just called and said they couldn't find anything, and I can pick it up. I spoke to JeepCares and they said I could ask the dealer to open a star case. I did that and I am waiting to hear back from the dealer.

· Registered
509 Posts

Leather on steering wheel looks like crap, all wrinkled like you know what, get that fixed

1 - 20 of 59 Posts