Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Bought a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee WL Laredo 13 days ago, had the vehicle for 5-6 days before the rear hatch glass shattered.

No grass was cut, not near a road Where a rock hit it….I am on the road about 80-90 miles a day. Closed the drivers door and I ducked….. broken glass

I love this car, the short time I have had it, but this is a bit confusing and concerning - Chrysler/MOPAR sending the wrong glass 2-3 times is even scarier and the rear glass is now on back order.

The dealer has been amazing to work with as they provided me a used car to drive so I can get to work and back.

Jeep Cares/Customer Service has not been helpful. I will say, I am a bit concerned about quality control/reliability on this thing and FCA.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was going to join and be a member of the forum prior to all this happening, but this is my first post.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
581 Posts
Curious to find out what caused it, tensions in the glass when it was mounted or a simple glass defect, or something to do with the body flex of the WL? Probably an isolated case I would think...

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 5.7L Baltic Gray Tupelo/black interior
144 Posts
On another site for the WL's (facebook) someone had their panoramic sunroof shatter out. Wonder if it's body flex? I remember reading a year or two ago that the new platform for the GC's was going to be an existing Alfa Romeo chassis? True or not, I don't know. Makes sense if you want to save money...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah I don’t know what to think. With the car having 500 miles on it and in it for 5 days, I am very skeptical.

I requested an extended warranty and FCA/Jeep Customer Care declined my request. To me, that shows right there they do not trust in their product and stand behind their vehicle.

Coworkers at work (larger hospital in the area) are not impressed by how things have been handled for sure.

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
OTOH, "stuff happens". I don't believe this is a common thing. It could be a manufacturing anomaly in that particular piece of glass. It could have been a meteor, as unlikely as that might be. The reason is not really evident in the photo.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for assistance from the manufacturer for such a new vehicle on a glass issue, even though there's no evidence to show why it shattered. Glass is not normally a warranty item for breakage, but sometimes does get replaced gratis in cases like this.

Given that auto glass has gotten pretty expensive, especially with the added requirements for features like auto sensing wipers and some safety systems used in vehicles today, it's a good idea to consider specific glass coverage on your auto insurance if offered in your state. It's generally a pretty inexpensive rider to comprehensive coverage and is usually zero or very low deductible specifically for glass events.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In regards to insurance coverage, that is already in place.

Body Flex, improperly installed glass, or defect may be the root cause. I could not drive down the road with the windows down part way because the vibrations became so violent the entire car was shaking.

This will be an interesting venture

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
494 Posts
One other issue, they have 2 different rear glass types, Summit (and Reserve) have laminated rear glass (Or is that rear SIDE windows?) Obviously that wasn't laminated glass either way!
Only Summits show this, does anyone know what/which it actually is? I'll try to remember to take a peek at mine.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
In regards to insurance coverage, that is already in place.

Body Flex, improperly installed glass, or defect may be the root cause.
I could not drive down the road with the windows down part way because the vibrations became so violent the entire car was shaking.

This will be an interesting venture
Could be anyone of those above causes you mentioned.

Did you have the rear window defroster on at the time?
The defrosters can come on automatically under certain humid conditions.
That could of been the catalyst with some defect that caused the window to explode.

Reason i mentioned defrosters is that some F150's equipped with power rear windows with defroster heating elements are also known to explode.

·
Registered
581 Posts
On another site for the WL's (facebook) someone had their panoramic sunroof shatter out. Wonder if it's body flex? I remember reading a year or two ago that the new platform for the GC's was going to be an existing Alfa Romeo chassis? True or not, I don't know. Makes sense if you want to save money...
Don't think its that, too many computers involved these days to make it and only then find out it flexes too much, so no :)
Unibody vehicles are pretty stiff I think and not an Alfa Romeo platform either...

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
I believe it's all laminated glass because of crash safety. Tinting is an extra thing. But I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are you talking about the rear hatch glass of mine? It is tempered, no laminated. Unless laminated breaks like tempered glass
I've only seen front and front side window glass laminated so far but that's on my WK2... why would a rear glass be laminated? Maybe to do with it being a 3-row and the glass being close the rear occupants?

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
494 Posts
This is what I was talking about, only the Summits show rear laminated glass, but not WHERE that is, I assume it is the side rear glass, not the hatch, but I don't know
Product Rectangle Yellow Font Material property

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 5.7L Baltic Gray Tupelo/black interior
144 Posts
Don't think its that, too many computers involved these days to make it and only then find out it flexes too much, so no :)
Unibody vehicles are pretty stiff I think and not an Alfa Romeo platform either...
Yes it is a new platform FCA Giorgio platform from the Alfa Romeo Stelvio...

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
Yes it is a new platform FCA Giorgio platform from the Alfa Romeo Stelvio...
Not quite. It was originally going to be the Giorgio platform and likely has some aspects from it, but an insider indicated a while ago that Jeep engineers ended up doing most of the platform development. (Platform is the design and manufacturing setup, not necessarily a physical thing)

Reactions: tallguy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not quite. It was originally going to be the Giorgio platform and likely has some aspects from it, but an insider indicated a while ago that Jeep engineers ended up doing most of the platform development. (Platform is the design and manufacturing setup, not necessarily a physical thing)
Would you have some information that I would be able to read up on? I am green to Jeep.

I do not know this is an issue just defrosters and a spike like Ford has with their F150’s or a deflect in the glass or improper install

1 - 20 of 131 Posts