Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2022 WL74 JGC Trailhawk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased my 22 JGC Trailhawk on 22 July and added, for peace of mind (I plan to keep this ride until the wheels fall off), the dealer offered 120month (10 year)/100,000 mile warranty called Carefree Car Protection 'Platinum' coverage for $2927 (call it $3K), which is listed as serviced/administered by Fidelity Warranty Services, INC. As this is clearly a 3rd Party warranty, I’m of course concerned. Heck, it's not even entirely clear if it will actually cover the air suspension, though the dealer insists it will be covered (I am he with little trust).

I am now considering canceling this 3rd Party Extended Warranty in favor of the Chrysler Factory Maximum Care Warranty, or maybe not even getting a warranty until I'm much closer to the end of the 3yr/36,000 mile original factory warranty. Welcome any sage advice from those of you in the know. Thanks a ton in advance!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
479 Posts
... or maybe not even getting a warranty until I'm much closer to the end of the 3yr/36,000 mile original factory warranty. Welcome any sage advice from those of you in the know. Thanks a ton in advance!
My advice, if you have the cash to buy it now, buy it now. 3 years from now, best case, it will be the same price, but almost definitely will be more money. Maybe 3 years from now you will have more money to buy it with (raises?)
But there is no downside to buying it early if you end up not needing it. You can cancel any time, and if you cancel while still under Bumper to Bumper (miles AND months) you get a full refund.
But I get it, if buying the Jeep (which ain't cheap) is pushing it money wise already, but you plan/hope to be better off in a couple years, waiting isn't bad.

·
Administrator
11,607 Posts
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use the official Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract. NEVER a third party.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I learned my lesson on third party extended warranties about 10-15 years ago. Went with a huge company that was well known - they filed for bankruptcy and I lost all that money. I will never buy a third party extended warranty again. The MOPAR extended warranty is just an extension of the bumper to bumper 3/36 warranty and I've never had any issues with it.

And make sure to go with one of the dealers that is mentioned in the forum. You'll save hundred/thousands of dollars. You could always ask what the typical price jump is in a year and decide based on that. I would probably just get it and then you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 2020 Grand Cherokee Altitude
169 Posts
I've had a lot of pushback from dealers on Mopar Max Care, but just stay firm and always say you will only get Mopar Max Care.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My wife bought a Subaru Crosstrek a few years ago and we inquired about the Extended Subaru warranty at the dealership, even though I planned to buy it online for cheaper. The finance guy said they only carried the third party warranty (though a company owned by Warren Buffet?) and tried to convince me that it was better than the Subaru one. They he added it without our permission. Of course we immediately had it removed and complained.

It makes me so mad that so many unsuspecting customers got suckered into buying a third party warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
479 Posts
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use the official Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract. NEVER a third party.
Speaking of, I noticed the MOPAR Max Care is available AS a third party, you can get it for other car makes. I wonder how it fares then? Price goes up, substantially, when I priced it on my Volvo as an example, but with coverage like that, I wonder how well it works out in comparison to other make's warrantees?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jeep actually contacted me about the Mopar warranty directly after purchasing a low milage certified WK2. I had already purchased a third party one at the dealer, but was able to get a full refund as it was in 2 months. I made the switch, it was 1200 less, and better coverage. Often they will do 0 interest 24 months on it as well.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
3,011 Posts
Dealers will almost always Will push a 3rd party on people, Why Because Profit. a 3rd party is Almost 100% pure profit. The Manufacture backed typically has less margin and unfortunately there are no dealership requirements that state you can't offer a 3rd party over theirs.

Also Note Dealers hate doing "warranty" work Mopar Maxcare Pays them Warranty rates to fix your car where a 3rd party likely won't and has no Control over the dealer aspect.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also Note Dealers hate doing "warranty" work Mopar Maxcare Pays them Warranty rates to fix your car where a 3rd party likely won't and has no Control over the dealer aspect.
Are you saying Maxcare pays the dealer better for warranty work?

Reactions: notoriousbdp

·
Registered
169 Posts
We got ours from Ziegler … 8 year 100K Mopar Max Care - Very aggressive pricing. Saw the Jeep was covered the next day
I’m confused, I thought Ziegler was a separate company that sells its own policy. They also sell Mopar max care?

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I just finished a 'dealer service experience' that is relevant to this discussion. tl;dr follows.

2014 WK2, 110K miles.

I had an AC hose replaced to fix the "AC sounds like it is on a ventilator" problem. It took a little work to get them to find the leaking hose in plain sight.
When I picked the vehicle up, the ACC/FCW was not working. Several go-arounds with them, me saying "you probably knocked the radar out of alignment when you took off the front fascia" and them saying "nope, coincidence, we need to replace the $2K sensor."
I said that was stupid, you were working in that area, and it is clearly behaving like it is misaligned.

So I said "Fine. That's not a $2000 part, that's a $100 part. Lifetime Maxcare. Do whatever you want." .. so they stuck to their guns for a bit, but finally relented and decided to do the alignment procedure. When the took the radar bezel off, they saw the adjusting screw they had knocked out of place. The service manager thanked me profusely for sticking to my guns.

If it was a third-party warranty, this would have been a massive pissing contest. with the mopar warranty, it is "IDFC, fix it." ..

So, the WL75 I have on order is definitely gonna get a mopar service plan.

·
Registered
2022 WL74 JGC Trailhawk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks very much to all of you for all that great info. I went back to the dealership earlier today and cancelled the 3rd part extended warranty. And, based on everything I've learned in this thread, I'll go instead for the Mopar Maxcare option. I'll reach out to both Ziegler as well as dig around in the Jeep Garage forum for the other seller(s) recommended to see which one will offer the best deal.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Op i was in the same boat as you.
The finance guy slipped in a 3rd party ext. warranty.
I assumed it would be a Mopar warranty and didn't pay attention, definitely my bad.
And worse its only good up to 75K miles.

Just recently purchased a Mopar MaxCare warranty good up to 160K miles and now i can sleep well at night.

·
Registered
2022 WL74 JGC Trailhawk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Op i was in the same boat as you.
The finance guy slipped in a 3rd party ext. warranty.
I assumed it would be a Mopar warranty and didn't pay attention, definitely my bad.
And worse its only good up to 75K miles.

Just recently purchased a Mopar MaxCare warranty good up to 160K miles and now i can sleep well at night.
I know what you mean. I really wish I had asked the question here before I bought the car. Lesson learned!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts