Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never did find where the battery lives on my ‘21 WL, but it’s last act of defiance before turning it in was a dead battery after trying to listen to the stereo as I was removing various accessories in a heated garage.

I usually put the biggest, highest quality batteries in my vehicles as it gets very cold in Wyoming in the winter (IE odyssey group 31).

I know there’s a secondary battery tray for the V6 under the front passenger seat, and was wondering if I could use that for a secondary battery location, and/or if there’s space for a larger main battery?

Has anyone looked into this?

Also, there seems to be no ‘accessory’ position for the ignition so you can listen to the stereo without all the HVAC and other primary systems on?

Given how nice the McIntosh audio is, it would be nice to be able to listen to it around the campsite for an hour or two at moderate volume, While also charging phones and cameras.

· Registered
955 Posts
The regular L has a battery under both seats..the main is under the drivers seat and the aux is under the passenger sea.... The 4Xe L has the 12v battery under the spare tire in the back.
unfortunately, I dont have a good suggestion for where to put another battery

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think the V8 has anything under the passenger seat, because that is the location of the auxiliary start/stop battery in the V6. The skid plates are different for the V8, the V6 has a larger ‘battery skid’ on the parts diagram.

Either way no online resources have a listing for the V8 battery type, except one site indicated group 24 (which seems small). Really strange that no one even has a listing for the size.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would just like more juice on board than what is obviously there. It looks like a small group 24 battery from the one video I saw and that’s what came up on one of the websites as well… It’s only like 750 CCA

Odyssey makes a dual purpose Group 24, best you can buy, and it’s still only 840 CCA and 76 AH. A group 31 has 1150 CCAs and 103AH. That would be a lot more appropriate for some thing with this many computers on it. But, if you could put two group 24s in parallel that would be pretty simple.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do they still not take the H7/h8 series anymore? I know in WK2 you just use the H8 and buy the diesel battery bracket. to get 1000cca
That would be all I probably need. Do you have to code the car to tell it it has a larger battery? I’ve had to do that on BMWs in the past. I had to code it even if replacing it with a stock new one.

· Premium Member
SRT8
3,133 Posts
That would be all I probably need. Do you have to code the car to tell it it has a larger battery? I’ve had to do that on BMWs in the past. I had to code it even if replacing it with a stock new one.
Um no There is no Battery Reset relearn BS that I am aware that has ever existed for the Grand Cherokee Line up.

My Daughter's VW effin battery oh now you gotta Reprogram the windows and shit when you disconnect.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Um no There is no Battery Reset relearn BS that I am aware that has ever existed for the Grand Cherokee Line up.

My Daughter's VW effin battery oh now you gotta Reprogram the windows and shit when you disconnect.
It’s definitely annoying, but helps make the batteries last longer, I’m told.

· Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi -- 17 3500 Laramie CCLB 6.7 -- 20 KW 370
54 Posts
It’s definitely annoying, but helps make the batteries last longer, I’m told.
Well I traded my 11 Durango in with the OEM battery, and expect to do the same with my Trailhawk.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
Well,

First step would be to figure out what the largest size battery is that will fit. My plan would be to buy an Odyssey battery in that size, as I've found them to be the absolute best (longest lasting, highest CCA per size)

If H8 will fit, FCPeuro has the lowest price I've seen, at $280.
Why? Is there a group of people killing their batteries? Running stereos like this for hours when parked or something?

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Why? Is there a group of people killing their batteries? Running stereos like this for hours when parked or something?
The night I was pulling all my stuff out and getting it ready to turn in for the buyback, I was listening to the stereo for like an hour (you have to keep turning the ignition on; I can't seem to find a way to play it without all the HVAC and everything turned on - like there's no 'accessory position' for the ignition. ie like with older cars that use physical ignition keys). The battery was absolutely flat - like it wouldn't even make a clicking sound.

Because it can be -20F where I live, and we take this camping and I'd like to at least be able to run the stereo for a bit while setting up the camper in remote places (with no cell service), I'd happily spend a little money to improve the situation. Whether it's leaving it at the airport for a couple of weeks in the dead of winter, remote camping, etc etc, it would be really nice to have either a larger single battery, or a dual battery.

I wouldn't call myself an 'overlander', but I do use the car that way sometimes, and dual batteries are a pretty common thing in that community for a reason.

This is not the kind go place you want to have a dead battery:
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Highland

· Registered
2 Posts
My SR can't sit 4 days without killing a battery. Instead of fixing the parasitic drain, they just told me I had to connect a battery tender if the vehicle is going to sit more than two days.

If there was a way to add a secondary battery, I would in a heartbeat.

Attachments

· Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve 4x4 5.7L
318 Posts
Mine has sat for over a month a couple of times and it still starts right up like I had just turned it off.

Not sure why yours would act differently.

· Registered
955 Posts
My SR can't sit 4 days without killing a battery. Instead of fixing the parasitic drain, they just told me I had to connect a battery tender if the vehicle is going to sit more than two days.
That's about the dumbest thing I've seen in awhile, I cant believe they actually put that in writing.

What's your build date? There is a known issue with the power liftgate module causing a battery drain on some vehicles.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
I understrand that someONE might need additional battery for extreme situations. And an additional, isolated full capicity battery is the only way to go, but a group buy, nah.
And my Jeep has sat for a month at a time, several times, starts zero issue, like every other car I have had for decades. I watch the charge voltage after, that is how I noticed that the uConnect screen doesn't show any oil pressure.

· Registered
2 Posts
That's about the dumbest thing I've seen in awhile, I cant believe they actually put that in writing.

What's your build date? There is a known issue with the power liftgate module causing a battery drain on some vehicles.
Build Date was 3/28/2022. I took delivery early May.

The battery died for the first time in early September after sitting for 8 days while I was out of town, parked at the airport. I got it towed to the dealership and they found the lift gate sensor not fully secure and corrected. Replaced the battery as well. Tested parasitic drain afterwards and it was around 26mA which is acceptable (originally it was 1.21A).

I couldn't believe it when I picked it back up Friday after having it towed Monday. The service department pitched some line saying there's 38 modules in the vehicle and all the GCLs/Wagoneers have this problem - its a software issue. I asked some follow up questions but was getting no where, the service desk was unable to answer any technical questions and kept repeating themselves. After being given a Battery Tender Junior by them I laughed it off and left. Being an EE, I know it's bullshit but the service desk folks were not budging.

I was surprised to see it in writing as well. They told me alternatively, I'm able to disconnect the negative on the battery if I'm someplace that doesn't have an outlet, like an airport. I'm not going to have my wife play mechanic every time the vehicle is going to sit 48 hours. That's unreasonable.

I'll drive it as typical, if the battery dies again it'll be towed back to the dealership until they figure it out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts