Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Overland that's loaded with all the tech and luxury packages (massage seats, night vision, steering assist, etc) and the manual just says they work automatically, if equipped.

Mine either don't work, or it doesn't have them, or they're broken. I've had auto dimming mirrors in a lot of different vehicles over the years (all German cars) and they worked really well. In my WL they don't seem to exist.

From the owners manual:

OUTSIDE AUTOMATIC DIMMING MIRRORS — IF EQUIPPED
The outside mirrors will automatically adjust for glare from vehicles behind you. This feature is controlled by the inside automatic dimming mirror. The mirrors will automatically adjust for headlight glare when the inside mirror adjusts.

So it seems they should just work... no settings to turn them on or off. Any way to know if I should have them? From what I read, it should...

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
I have an Overland that's loaded with all the tech and luxury packages (massage seats, night vision, steering assist, etc) and the manual just says they work automatically, if equipped.

Mine either don't work, or it doesn't have them, or they're broken. I've had auto dimming mirrors in a lot of different vehicles over the years (all German cars) and they worked really well. In my WL they don't seem to exist.

From the owners manual:

OUTSIDE AUTOMATIC DIMMING MIRRORS — IF EQUIPPED
The outside mirrors will automatically adjust for glare from vehicles behind you. This feature is controlled by the inside automatic dimming mirror. The mirrors will automatically adjust for headlight glare when the inside mirror adjusts.

So it seems they should just work... no settings to turn them on or off. Any way to know if I should have them? From what I read, it should...
There was discussion of this a few months ago. There's a thread somewhere. The bottom line was you may or may not depending on what particular packages were ordered. If you have auto dimming mirrors there will be a small border around the edge of the glass that is slightly lighter in color then the rest of the glass. If you don't see that border you don't have auto dimming side mirrors.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
327 Posts
There was discussion of this a few months ago. There's a thread somewhere. The bottom line was you may or may not depending on what particular packages were ordered. If you have auto dimming mirrors there will be a small border around the edge of the glass that is slightly lighter in color then the rest of the glass. If you don't see that border you don't have auto dimming side mirrors.
Yeah, they will have a greenish tint with a clearish border maybe 1/8"?
You can also see the difference in cool mornings when they are fogged up, the auto dimming ones take longer to warm up and clear when the mirror heaters are on.

·
Administrator
11,447 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still can't find an answer as to what models have dimming mirrors.

My Overland has every tech and luxury package option but doesn't seem to have dimming mirrors. It has power folding mirrors, and they're heated, but they do not seem to dim at all.

Anyone know how to figure it out? I'm wondering if it was built wrong, or if the Overland doesn't have it. Mine is going back as a lemon, but I'm ordering a new one and would really like to make sure I get them on the next one, and/or be sure it got built right if it's supposed to have them. Jeep gives no information on this that I can find, aside from 'some of them are so-equipped'. Like... some of them have them because Jerry on the assembly line likes red Jeeps and he only puts them on those? Or what???

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fully loaded Overland 2-Row has them. Driver's side and rearview.
But not passenger side??? That's as stupid as buying a pair of sunglasses with only one tinted lens. Like... 'we gave you just enough self dimming mirrors to make you wish they all did it'?!?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2014 loaded Overland does. If it looks like there is a very light frame around the edge of the mirrors, it should just work automatically. I have never had to do anything special to them in 8 years..

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is kinda goofy. Trailhawk is listed as having auto-dimming passenger mirror. If you add the Lux pack you get an auto dimmer rear view mirror. Not option that I see for autodimming passenger mirror. Wierd.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just took a close look at the mirrors on my 16 Suburban. It appears only the driver side has auto dimming. So maybe this is a common thing? My 22 GC Limited does not have auto dimming mirrors fwiw.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has the auto dimming glass on the drivers side, but not the passenger side, but it doesn't do anything. All the cars I've had in the past (mostly European) had it on both sides. Makes no sense why they would only put it on one side.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2017 limited has them so I am pretty sure your overland would have them. I think it is tied to the rear view camera. With the power button on it.
I wonder if you have the 'camera' rear view mirror disabled (ie using the optical mirror), it disables the auto dimming for the side mirror?

·
Registered
102 Posts
But not passenger side??? That's as stupid as buying a pair of sunglasses with only one tinted lens. Like... 'we gave you just enough self dimming mirrors to make you wish they all did it'?!?
My Mercedes has the same thing, only driver side. I thought its only German’s do that ))
Looks like not only them.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
327 Posts
Passenger side isn't needed much due to the convex mirror. You never get full reflection of any light behind you. Plus, it is more money.
My 2002 Grand Caravan Limited was the first vehicle I had with all 3 auto dim. Best vehicle I ever had (for the time I had it), longest as well, 12 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts