Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
955 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep! And welcome to the forum.
I like using stock wheels for winters. Helps keep the vehicle clean running OEM offset wheels.
then I can run a better looking / more aggressive wheel tire combo in the less messy seasons.

I kept my SRT wheels for my winter setup… I underestimated the difference in offset.. my new GC is plastered in frozen muck all winter.
Once these tires have lived their life I will be putting winters on my OEM rims.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
It looks like you're someplace like California? If you're not driving in snow that often, you may just want all season tires with more capability in snow (IE with the mountain/snowflake symbol). Nokian WR G4, Michelin CrossClimate2, VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO, Firestone WeatherGrip, etc. There is no 'best at everything' category, so you really need to decide your priorities and go from there. Some are 3 season snow tires but squishy in dry/warm, etc - it's sliding scale. I wouldn't think you'd want dedicated snow tires, but if you do, the Michelin Xice SNOW SUV are what I'm using, and they handle in the dry better than any other dedicated snow tire I've used (far better than Blizzaks).

Also know that any WK2 wheel 18" or larger should fit on your car if you want OEM wheels.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like you're someplace like California? If you're not driving in snow that often, you may just want all season tires with more capability in snow (IE with the mountain/snowflake symbol). Nokian WR G4, Michelin CrossClimate2, VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO, Firestone WeatherGrip, etc. There is no 'best at everything' category, so you really need to decide your priorities and go from there. Some are 3 season snow tires but squishy in dry/warm, etc - it's sliding scale. I wouldn't think you'd want dedicated snow tires, but if you do, the Michelin Xice SNOW SUV are what I'm using, and they handle in the dry better than any other dedicated snow tire I've used (far better than Blizzaks).

Also know that any WK2 wheel 18" or larger should fit on your car if you want OEM wheels.
Yeah it never snows here. I’m planning on having a set of winter tires for heading up into the snow. Hopefully the TPMS system is easy to work with, as of right now I know very little about the Cherokee. My wife and I enjoy going into remote areas and exploring old abandoned towns etc, we plan on doing a lot more of it. Hopefully it’s somewhat capable.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah it never snows here. I’m planning on having a set of winter tires for heading up into the snow. Hopefully the TPMS system is easy to work with, as of right now I know very little about the Cherokee. My wife and I enjoy going into remote areas and exploring old abandoned towns etc, we plan on doing a lot more of it. Hopefully it’s somewhat capable.
I lived between San Diego and Sonoma for about a decade, and 'made due' with the best 'snow biased' all seasons on my Audi Quattros over that time for skiing in the winter. It's definitely a lot easier to just drive a bit slower in the snow than deal with putting dedicated snow tires on when you want to head up in the mountains in the winter. I think the only time I put snow tires on anything was when I took my 4x4 RV on an all-winter ski trip from SD up into Canada and back one winter. Otherwise, I'd look at the tires I mentioned above if you want something you can either use half the year, or year around for that matter. The only reason to take them off is if you needed something more along M/T lines for use in sand/desert situations half the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts