Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface with I haven't driven this vehicle much, but noticed just now this large gap around the cluster. I can get my fingers behind the screen on both sides & as you can see the light from behind the cluster is shining through brightly on both sides.

Steering part Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Trip computer

Reactions: jmsalt1

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Are you talking about those half moons on each side of the cluster?
Other than that i don't see any gaps in that pic.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the half moons are gaps around the cluster that I can stick my fingers in and reach behind the screen.

· Registered
953 Posts
Yea that’s normal. That backlighting is intentional and changes colour based on different scenarios.
here mine is lit up green, showing the the lane detection system is happy.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Car Automotive mirror

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea that’s normal. That backlighting is intentional and changes colour based on different scenarios.
here mine is lit up green, showing the the lane detection system is happy. View attachment 246748
Cool thanks. Like I said I've only driven it a couple times & that was the first time I noticed it. Seemed odd.

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Cool thanks. Like I said I've only driven it a couple times & that was the first time I noticed it. Seemed odd.
Based on 4 Litre's comments and pics^ its a weird so called feature on these new Jeeps.
That is an odd setup and for me would be annoying as hell even if the back lighting could be turned off but still there would be those gaping holes starring at me every time i look at the speedo.

I'll add that to my long list of why not to buy a WL. haha

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know you shouldn’t have to but could you not cover the gap with some vinyl or tape or something?
No it's literally a hole on both sides that you can reach into. The cluster sits about 1/2" or so inside the opening.
Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s really not that bad, it gives it a floating look. The backlighting isn’t offensive at night either.
I like it
Yeah I rarely drive this so I doubt I'll pay much attention. I only noticed it because the light was very bright coming through, so it caught my attention. To me it gives the appearance that the cluster was made too small for the opening.

Reactions: jmsalt1

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Can envision this clearly, i'd be so annoyed and/or distracted with those cluster half moon back lights that i would pay less attention to the road and before you know it...... smack another %^&'n deer hit.
While driving at night i keep my cluster lighting low as possible so i can concentrate on keeping an eye out for them dam deers and we got herds of them out here.

Reactions: JABCAT

· Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 2020 Grand Cherokee Altitude
192 Posts
If they indicate lane safety then this is another reason to buy a WL. I think that’s awesome.

· Registered
953 Posts
Can envision this clearly, i'd be so annoyed and/or distracted with those cluster half moon back lights that i would pay less attention to the road and before you know it...... smack another %^&'n deer hit.
While driving at night i keep my cluster lighting low as possible so i can concentrate on keeping an eye out for them dam deers and we got herds of them out here.
Honestly it doesn’t bother me at all. I used to dim the dash in an effort to adjust my eyes to the mediocre headlights.
the modern headlights paired with the night vision… this is by far the best nighttime vehicle I’ve ever been in.
All I can say is try one at night. Save judgment until you try it.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
917 Posts
Honestly I've never reached back in those side areas. I didn't realize you could. I do see the green glow when using the ADA or whateverthehellitiscalled, but I thought it was an insert that lit up, not a glow from behind. Now I need to go check it.
I've never thought it was even the slightest bit annoying though. And I definitely like the look and functionality when it is being used to show ADA is engaged/Green.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts