Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

First day I set up my wife's profile in the '21 GCL, paired her iPhone, etc. Super easy, all went fine. Next day I added my profile and Android Auto for my phone. All good. Next day my wife's iPhone would not launch Carplay. Trouble with Bluetooth connectivity, etc. Android was fine, only an issue with the iPhone.

I called tech support for UConnect, etc. They couldn't seem to solve the issue over the phone, recommended I take it back to the dealer. Ugh. Before driving 30 minutes back to the dealer, I tried my friend Google, and I found that if you press and hold the center button on the volume knob and the center button on the tune knob at the same time for about 10-15 seconds, it reboots the stereo/UConnect system. Doing this won't delete any of your settings. This reboot totally fixed my problem. Did it a few weeks ago and all is fine since.

So if you need to do a soft reboot of the system, holding those two buttons is how you do it. Pic below of the dash with the two round knobs and center buttons below the screen display:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the post. I wish I had the same success as you.

I’ve definitely been using the soft reset function, but unfortunately for me I use it to get out of the constant spinning-to-connect process where it gets stuck and doesn’t connect or will not stop trying.
If often happens when I’m trying to switch from Phone 1 to Phone 2, it gets stuck trying to connect to the phone I’m switching to and then need to Initiate the soft reset to get out of the stuck cycle.

The soft reset seems to help with the immediate situation, but does not appear to be a long-term solution,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post. I wish I had the same success as you.

I’ve definitely been using the soft reset function, but unfortunately for me I use it to get out of the constant spinning-to-connect process where it gets stuck and doesn’t connect or will not stop trying.
If often happens when I’m trying to switch from Phone 1 to Phone 2, it gets stuck trying to connect to the phone I’m switching to and then need to Initiate the soft reset to get out of the stuck cycle.

The soft reset seems to help with the immediate situation, but does not appear to be a long-term solution,
Do you have the "both phones connected" button checked? It may say something slightly different than that on the screen, but I think it's on the devices tab, bottom right of the screen. I unchecked that, which also seems to have helped the issue at the same time. Lastly, do you have your Jeep connected to your home wifi so it can receive updates over the air? I set it up to connect to wifi, and then checked for software updates. It didn't indicate there was a software update but I have left that enabled. Jeep may have pushed a fix since I see a lot of comments that this is an issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you have the "both phones connected" button checked? It may say something slightly different than that on the screen, but I think it's on the devices tab, bottom right of the screen. I unchecked that, which also seems to have helped the issue at the same time. Lastly, do you have your Jeep connected to your home wifi so it can receive updates over the air? I set it up to connect to wifi, and then checked for software updates. It didn't indicate there was a software update but I have left that enabled. Jeep may have pushed a fix since I see a lot of comments that this is an issue.
I’ve tried it with and without. With it unchecked there have been fewer issues, but still far from perfect.
I do have my car connected to home Wi-Fi. I continue to check the software version, which has not changed. Oddly enough, originally I had a “Market” app within the All Apps screen, which later disappeared, indicating some sort of update went through despite the software version not changing. Perhaps Jeep is able to roll out updates to certain components of the platform without it being considered a fully update/version change.

Honestly, although the connection issues are a pain, they’re nothing compared to the constant reboots I’m dealing with now. The connection issues can be navigated with enough tinkering and resets, but the system reboots are a PITA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve tried it with and without. With it unchecked there have been fewer issues, but still far from perfect.
I do have my car connected to home Wi-Fi. I continue to check the software version, which has not changed. Oddly enough, originally I had a “Market” app within the All Apps screen, which later disappeared, indicating some sort of update went through despite the software version not changing. Perhaps Jeep is able to roll out updates to certain components of the platform without it being considered a fully update/version change.

Honestly, although the connection issues are a pain, they’re nothing compared to the constant reboots I’m dealing with now. The connection issues can be navigated with enough tinkering and resets, but the system reboots are a PITA.
One other thing to test/try - do you have your phone unlocked (ie - the screen is on because you unlocked it with your fingerprint or faceID)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So mine went in today for recall Y67 to fix radio issues. Still missing pages from system that were there last week but dealer had no clue as to what to do other than wait for the next recall. They then told me that today’s recall was to fix backup camera - which has not been an issue - even though all the paperwork says it was the radio recall.

Let’s see what happens!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok folks, this is great info but has anyone stopped and asked, "Why are we having issues with CarPlay on a $65,000 Jeep?" I bought the Summit Reserve because it was by far and away the nicest Jeep I've ever seen... but the tech problems with CarPlay, blanking screens, random resets, navigation issues, etc are inexcusable when you invest in a vehicle in this price range. UConnect 5 was/is not ready to go up against the Lexus, Audi, & BMW/Merc infotainment systems. It's incredibly frustrating and will definitely affect repeat buyers of this vehicle. I know I'll think twice next time unless Jeep fixes this and fixes it soon. Not to mention, seat memory sometimes doesn't work, exit position settings don't always work, and not to pile on, but the exhaust note on my V6 sounds like a penny rattling around a tin can at idle. These little things... all erode the look of the vehicle and the comfort of it's ride/seats. Also, the A/C vents on the dash are WAY TOO SMALL and for the life of me, I can't get them pointed at me correctly. In Houston heat... this is a serious disatisfier. Not likely a Jeep customer the next time...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok folks, this is great info but has anyone stopped and asked, "Why are we having issues with CarPlay on a $65,000 Jeep?" I bought the Summit Reserve because it was by far and away the nicest Jeep I've ever seen... but the tech problems with CarPlay, blanking screens, random resets, navigation issues, etc are inexcusable when you invest in a vehicle in this price range. UConnect 5 was/is not ready to go up against the Lexus, Audi, & BMW/Merc infotainment systems. It's incredibly frustrating and will definitely affect repeat buyers of this vehicle. I know I'll think twice next time unless Jeep fixes this and fixes it soon. Not to mention, seat memory sometimes doesn't work, exit position settings don't always work, and not to pile on, but the exhaust note on my V6 sounds like a penny rattling around a tin can at idle. These little things... all erode the look of the vehicle and the comfort of it's ride/seats. Also, the A/C vents on the dash are WAY TOO SMALL and for the life of me, I can't get them pointed at me correctly. In Houston heat... this is a serious disatisfier. Not likely a Jeep customer the next time...
This is why everyone says don’t buy the first model year of a new generation vehicle. Especially one where final software builds and manufacturing fitment were finalized during a global pandemic….. Needless to say, they’ll all be fixed within a year with new firmware loads, calibrations, recalls etc. Hence why year 2 is ALWAYS a safer bet. But hey why not just pull the trigger and complain about it anyways, right? Not like it was predictable or anyone was saying to hold off to year 2 or anything…. Btw - many of us, myself included, also bought a Summit Reserve and spent the same money you did. So no point in getting bent out of shape about it only happening to you, we’re all in the same boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts