Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 285/60-18 31.5 x 11.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the Overland with 18" wheels. On the prior GC I thought 32" tires (275/65-18) would fit. But fits on the new one?

If you have fitted larger tires, what tire did you fit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have an L but I saw this yesterday on Reddit. This guy is fitting 34s on his. According to the comments it is a stock WL and they only had to trim the pinch weld.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandCherokee/comments/ridssl
unless he is running major offsets, that tire will rub heavily on the suspension arm. On a stock 265/50r20, I had a little over 2 finger's width of clearance. Plus, it looks like he is also running at least a 1.5" lift (despite being off the ground/on a jack).

·
Registered
2015 GC EcoDiesel Limited 4wd
30 Posts
unless he is running major offsets, that tire will rub heavily on the suspension arm. On a stock 265/50r20, I had a little over 2 finger's width of clearance. Plus, it looks like he is also running at least a 1.5" lift (despite being off the ground/on a jack).
I know he mentions the wheels are 0mm offset and says it is stock but who really knows without seeing it in person. It'll be interesting to see it when he's done.

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
Yes, O-offset would move the wheel/tire outboard 2”.
THAT would be scary. Keep in mind that major offsets like that can exert forces on the suspension, steering and drive drain that were not designed for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THAT would be scary. Keep in mind that major offsets like that can exert forces on the suspension, steering and drive drain that were not designed for it.
I believe the stock offset is +50. The most I found in aftermarket wheels is +40. There is a bigger but limited selection at +38 and +35. it seems that any aftermarket wheel is going to move around a half inch outboard.

I came across this picture of a unmodified WL on 275/55-20 tires and wheels with plus 35 offset. They were described as no rubbing and nearly flush with the fender. I don't see how a zero offset would work at all but apparently this is using a 32-in tire the same width as the standard tire on the Summit Reserve

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
I believe the stock offset is +50. The most I found in aftermarket wheels is +40. There is a bigger but limited selection at +38 and +35. it seems that any aftermarket wheel is going to move around a half inch outboard.
Spacers can be used to move things further; hence, the warning that there "could" be consequences.

·
Registered
‘21 Jeep Grand Cherokee-L Altitude
21 Posts
From pictures in another thread, the upper control arm arches over the tires and becomes the limiting factor in diameter and width for an offset that keeps the tire under the fender.

This member has found the tallest tire that fits as seen in these pics leaving approx 1/4” clearance. He’s running 275/45R22’s which have an OD of 31.7” - 31.8”. His 22” wheels have a +35mm offset. Any taller tire and you’ll be into the control arm for sure.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This member has found the tallest tire that fits as seen in these pics leaving approx 1/4” clearance. He’s running 275/45R22’s which have an OD of 31.7” - 31.8”. His 22” wheels have a +35mm offset. Any taller tire and you’ll be into the control arm for sure.
I saw another post where someone fit 33" tires on a 0 offset ~8.5" wide wheel (vs +56 stock). They pushed the tire out with the offset to clear the knuckle and had to trim some of the pinch welds and the inner liner.

I suspect someone will come out with fender flares for the WL at some point, and this will become more common. As it is, all the larger tires I've seen have 'wider' offset wheels, so the tires stick out past the wheel arches, but the only rubbing issues are with the inner wheelwell area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw another post where someone fit 33" tires on a 0 offset ~8.5" wide wheel (vs +56 stock). They pushed the tire out with the offset to clear the knuckle and had to trim some of the pinch welds and the inner liner.

I suspect someone will come out with fender flares for the WL at some point, and this will become more common. As it is, all the larger tires I've seen have 'wider' offset wheels, so the tires stick out past the wheel arches, but the only rubbing issues are with the inner wheelwell area.
Are you sure about that offset? I thought the WK2 was +56.4 but that the WL is +50

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd love to see detailed photos if anyone has fit 275/55/20 on any stock wheels. The tire OD is 31.9", and there are aftermarket wheels that look very similar to the Summit Reserve 21" wheels (20x9, ET 35) that would look nice (another forum member has fit 22's in this wheel with 275/40/22's)

A 275/55/20 is 5mm, or 3/16" taller than 275/45/22, so it should still clear the knuckle on a 20x9 ET35 wheel (per linked 31.7" photos), but just barely.

(275/45/22 on 22x9 ET35)

The stock '21 GCL Overland wheels are 20x8 ET50, so the calculator below would indicate that the 20x9 ET35 wheel and 275/55/20 tire move out from the suspension .39" (not enough to push past the knuckle), but at least the distance from the suspension is the same as with the 275/45/22 in the photo above. The 275/55/20 tires would just be 5mm (3/16") closer to the knuckle.

I'm just not sure how dangerous that gets if you have a blowout (i.e. is it more dangerous with regard to damaging the suspension knuckle component in the event of tire failure vs stock. It seems like the danger might just be the same or marginally worse).

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Font

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just ordered a set of 22x10.5 +35 Velgen lights with 295/40R22 Pirelli Scorpions (31.3” tall). Velgen feels this is the max tire size for safety and stated the clearances is extremely close throughout. I measured my L with the wheels off and had 16” exact from center of hub to suspension knuckle. 32” tall tires WILL make contact and 31.9” tall tires will leave a clearance of less than 1/8”. Way too close for my comfort.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Especially with off roading, mud and rocks in mind. Any rocks stuck in the tires would get slammed right into that knuckle with such small clearance, even if the ET35 helped create a tad more space. It looks like the only 20" A/T in a 275/50/20 is the Pirelli Scorpion ATR which would work on Varro VD06x 20x9 ET35 or ET45, and would be about the same as stock (re clearance from knuckle) with the slight push outward. A 285/50/20 is also an option with the Yokohama Geolander AT G015.

Anything taller is too close for comfort (and rocks).

I've also reached out to Continental Tire to see if there's any chance of them offering the General Grabber AT3 in 275/45/21 for the US market (for the Summit Reserve or optional 21" 'Jeep accessory' wheels. They're $340 USD in the UK, but you have to ship them here and get them through customs (labeled as farm equipment/off road use only). That would at least give us a 21" A/T tire option in a stock size (and it's severe snow rated).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree Sarge - way too close for comfort/safety.

My white “L” will be a street warrior only. Please no Haters. I bought ours for the shear size and comfort but yet the “plus” of having four driving wheels as slippery conditions arise in our area.

I believe we will fall in love with our new Jeep but have only driven home when bought from the dealer & to my wrap guy the next day for PPF on the complete front end (doors forward), gloss black roof wrap, entire ceramic coat and window tint. Lol, almost have 125 miles on it now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts