Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't really like the idea of the BT setup given how unreliable BT can be, personally.

I bought the REDARC controller to install in mine, as it's small and seems to have all the basic capabilities of the Tekonsha P3. I've always had the P3 in other vehicles, but there's not enough space to mount it without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

As for towing, I've towed a six place snowmobile trailer, a 14' cargo trailer, and a camper (R Pod, not super heavy, probably 4k lbs or less) with mine so far. I haven't added the brake controller as mine is being bought back with a replacement coming, but I've not had any trouble. I towed the R Pod about 1400 miles, and while it would have been nice to have a weight distribution hitch with the crosswinds and high front/cross wind I encountered, the braking was never really an issue (although I would always definitely recommend having trailer brakes). My trip was almost all on I15 at speeds of 50-80mph.

To do something like that again, with a camper (and all the windage a camper has), I'd definitely want a weight distribution hitch. When there was no real wind, it towed fine, but on the windy days it was a bit of a handful sometimes.

I've been towing all manner of things for decades, so my comfort level is higher than most. That said, if I wished I had a weight distribution (anti sway) hitch, I imagine anyone would.

Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Plant

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't really like the idea of the BT setup given how unreliable BT can be, personally.

I bought the REDARC controller to install in mine, as it's small and seems to have all the basic capabilities of the Tekonsha P3. I've always had the P3 in other vehicles, but there's not enough space to mount it without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

As for towing, I've towed a six place snowmobile trailer, a 14' cargo trailer, and a camper (R Pod, not super heavy, probably 4k lbs or less) with mine so far. I haven't added the brake controller as mine is being bought back with a replacement coming, but I've not had any trouble. I towed the R Pod about 1400 miles, and while it would have been nice to have a weight distribution hitch with the crosswinds and high front/cross wind I encountered, the braking was never really an issue (although I would always definitely recommend having trailer brakes). My trip was almost all on I15 at speeds of 50-80mph.

To do something like that again, with a camper (and all the windage a camper has), I'd definitely want a weight distribution hitch. When there was no real wind, it towed fine, but on the windy days it was a bit of a handful sometimes.

I've been towing all manner of things for decades, so my comfort level is higher than most. That said, if I wished I had a weight distribution (anti sway) hitch, I imagine anyone would.
Can you send me a link to that trailer? I kinda like that size as a guesstimate starting point.

· Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
405 Posts
Word of caution......be aware that you may go down the same path we did with our camping equipment. My wife and I started out camping in a tent. We graduated to a small Coleman pop-up that we towed behind a 2nd gen 4Runner. Our first kid was born, and we upsized the popup to something with two beds instead of just one. Our second kid was born, and my wife decided we needed a shower and refrigerator. So, we upsized again to a 23' hard sided trailer with a single slideout. We towed that with a Dodge Durango, then a Nissan Armada. We had that trailer for over 20 years, and had great experiences with it. Then, the kids grew up, and we decided to upgrade to a nicer and newer RV. Our first thought was a small 5th wheel, but then we borrowed my f-in-laws diesel pusher motorhome, and we were spoiled. Today, we have a 35' Tiffin Class A motorhome, which we use to tow our Jeep GC. So far we've crossed the country twice in it, one trip east to west, the other north to south. In about a month, we leave again for a 6 week trip to visit our oldest son in Minot, North Dakota, with trips to various national parks and other sites along the way, and back.

I remember when we were younger snickering at the "campers" who pulled in with their big fancy rigs, and seeing them sitting inside with the TV on instead of being outside. But I also remember being envious when it started raining or snowing, and they were warm and snug, and we were wet and shivering. Now, it's me behind the wheel of the fancy shiny camper. I do miss the days of real camping, but in the long run, I enjoy having a comfortable bed, a hot shower, and a big fridge to keep my beverages cold when it's hot outside.

Whatever you choose, enjoy what you get, and enjoy nature.

Attachments

· Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Word of caution......be aware that you may go down the same path we did with our camping equipment. My wife and I started out camping in a tent. We graduated to a small Coleman pop-up that we towed behind a 2nd gen 4Runner. Our first kid was born, and we upsized the popup to something with two beds instead of just one. Our second kid was born, and my wife decided we needed a shower and refrigerator. So, we upsized again to a 23' hard sided trailer with a single slideout. We towed that with a Dodge Durango, then a Nissan Armada. We had that trailer for over 20 years, and had great experiences with it. Then, the kids grew up, and we decided to upgrade to a nicer and newer RV. Our first thought was a small 5th wheel, but then we borrowed my f-in-laws diesel pusher motorhome, and we were spoiled. Today, we have a 35' Tiffin Class A motorhome, which we use to tow our Jeep GC. So far we've crossed the country twice in it, one trip east to west, the other north to south. In about a month, we leave again for a 6 week trip to visit our oldest son in Minot, North Dakota, with trips to various national parks and other sites along the way, and back.

I remember when we were younger snickering at the "campers" who pulled in with their big fancy rigs, and seeing them sitting inside with the TV on instead of being outside. But I also remember being envious when it started raining or snowing, and they were warm and snug, and we were wet and shivering. Now, it's me behind the wheel of the fancy shiny camper. I do miss the days of real camping, but in the long run, I enjoy having a comfortable bed, a hot shower, and a big fridge to keep my beverages cold when it's hot outside.

Whatever you choose, enjoy what you get, and enjoy nature.
Yeah, never happen with my wife. She doesn't like going to a hotel that isn't a chain we've been to a lot. (same with restaraunts) The best I could ever hope for is possibly when we retire, and have a place to put it, getting a small motor home, that you can actually drive to a store, or more likely a nice travel trailer to tow, and share with her sister maybe...
But realistically, I'm hoping to do this a couple times, and maybe adding renting something in to our yearly vacations.
I know a couple when he retired, they sold their home and bought a massive 5th wheel setup and pickup and lived on the road for 20 years, no fixed home. Now that they are 80ish, they sold it and moved back into a house.

· Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
405 Posts
Yeah, never happen with my wife. She doesn't like going to a hotel that isn't a chain we've been to a lot. (same with restaraunts) The best I could ever hope for is possibly when we retire, and have a place to put it, getting a small motor home, that you can actually drive to a store, or more likely a nice travel trailer to tow, and share with her sister maybe...
But realistically, I'm hoping to do this a couple times, and maybe adding renting something in to our yearly vacations.
I know a couple when he retired, they sold their home and bought a massive 5th wheel setup and pickup and lived on the road for 20 years, no fixed home. Now that they are 80ish, they sold it and moved back into a house.
So that's what we said....25 years ago. "We'll never be like that". Now I'm about 5 years from retirement, and our plan is to spend >6 months of each year in the motorhome. Don't think we'll ever give up our sticks and bricks home, though, need a place to come back to when we're in our 80s.

keith

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

· Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So that's what we said....25 years ago. "We'll never be like that". Now I'm about 5 years from retirement, and our plan is to spend >6 months of each year in the motorhome. Don't think we'll ever give up our sticks and bricks home, though, need a place to come back to when we're in our 80s.

keith
We're in the less than 10 years from retirement range, I don't think we have enough time to progress down that road, literally. One BIG change to the likelihood is the fact our youngest moved 2500 miles away, never know, that might help.
I'd hate to be fueling up those rigs right now though.

· Registered
2019 JGC Overland 4x4
27 Posts
I am considering renting a travel trailer this summer. My Jeep is rated at being able to tow 6200 pounds I believe.
What do I need to do that? It has the hitch//whatever, and both wiring ports, just not the mount and ball.
View attachment 4148633
Is a brake controller "REQUIRED"? If so, at what trailer weight? I have driven towing before, but not my own vehicle, a GMC Envoy towing a race car box trailer, I'm sure was way less than 6000, probably under 4000.
Also, if anyone can provide a good site to teach me about travel trailers in general (hook ups, tanks, day to day stuff...) that would be great as well. I'd love to get a small sailboat with trailer, but that would be very light weight, and I'd never think about it, but a nice bigger travel trailer is a whole other thing.
RVTravel.com is a newsletter and has a library with all kinds of articles on towing, weight distribution hitches and just about anything else you can think of. They normally subtract 10% from the rated towing weight which means a pretty small trailer.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Can you send me a link to that trailer? I kinda like that size as a guesstimate starting point.
It's called an R Pod. They make a few sizes and layouts. It's a little tight if you spend a lot of time inside (mine had the bathroom in the middle. If you plan on mostly just using it for sleeping, it's fine for two, but I can't imagine more than two, or hanging out inside it much. Not much storage or tank capacity either. I tried it b/c we don't really spend much time inside campers, and it was narrower and rounded so I thought it might get better MPG, but I only averaged around 9mpg with my Hemi.

My driving was all at higher elevation, where I wouldn't recommend towing it with the V6 (due to power loss at elevation - Hemi was just adequate but you lose 3%hp per 1k foot gain), but at sea level you would be fine if you have a V6. If you're going to spend time indoors, I would get a wider, more boxy style trailer.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, and what your budget is, you can get a 30-40' diesel pusher with under 100k miles for $20-$40k and get the same fuel economy and it should drive a LOT nicer than pulling a trailer. A friend of mine did that, and I've put thousands of miles on it (45' Monaco). Much nicer experience than a camper for both driving and living in, and the older higher end ones have chassis/drivetrains that are designed to do hundreds of thousands of miles. If it were something I would use very often, or for a long break (months of travel) that's the route I'd go, personally. In my experience, for longer trips in potentially higher winds/crosswinds, the GCL just isn't a big enough vehicle, and the fuel economy is not appreciably better than driving a gas RV, or even a big diesel pusher (which can go down the road at 80mph nearly as easily/stable as the GCL with no trailer.

Just my .02.

· Registered
Cherokee Limited
88 Posts
I am considering renting a travel trailer this summer. My Jeep is rated at being able to tow 6200 pounds I believe.
What do I need to do that? It has the hitch//whatever, and both wiring ports, just not the mount and ball.
View attachment 4148633
Is a brake controller "REQUIRED"? If so, at what trailer weight? I have driven towing before, but not my own vehicle, a GMC Envoy towing a race car box trailer, I'm sure was way less than 6000, probably under 4000.
Also, if anyone can provide a good site to teach me about travel trailers in general (hook ups, tanks, day to day stuff...) that would be great as well. I'd love to get a small sailboat with trailer, but that would be very light weight, and I'd never think about it, but a nice bigger travel trailer is a whole other thing.
A Bluetooth brake controller is a good investment as it fits to a any trailer and their is no hard wiring required to the vehicle. And when you change car/trailer you just remove and transfer to next vehicle.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
A Bluetooth brake controller is a good investment as it fits to a any trailer and their is no hard wiring required to the vehicle. And when you change car/trailer you just remove and transfer to next vehicle.
Don't you lose the ability to trigger the trailer brakes in an emergency with that setup? That's the kind of thing that 'when you need it, you really need it, and you need it NOW'. To me, having a button readily at hand is critical - and potentially live-saving.

· Registered
2017 Overland Hemi
3 Posts
I towed an rPod like the one pictured early in this thread with a JGC WK2 Limited V6 2wd. Took it many miles. I had a weight distributing hitch, a trailer brake controller and the car had anti-sway and trailer leveling that come with the factory tow package.

I hardly knew the trailer was back there and often found myself going with the flow of traffic on Arizona interstates where the traffic is going 80 or so. I had to learn to control myself. But it worked really well.

Unfortunately the rPod got too small within a year or so and we were "forced" to sell it and buy a larger and heavier trailer. That necessitated a new JGC, this one a WK 2 Overland V8 with all the four wheeling goodies. It's a much nicer trailer and so is the JGC.

I think you can't go wrong with a smaller trailer and a V6 WL if it has the factory towing package. You'll love it.

· Registered
2014 JGC
42 Posts
Skimming over all the posts in the thread, couple of thoughts...

I know there are some brake controllers (maybe just for small trailers?) that are mounted on the tongue of the trailer. Not sure how they get power (trailer mounted battery kept charged by the constant hot line?), but they presumably are reading the brake lights and using an inertial sensor to do the job. Might be worth picking out the rental trailer first and make sure they don't have something like this on the trailer that would negate the need for an installed brake controller in the tow vehicle. If you're over 1500# or so, I wouldn't want to tow without brakes. I have pulled around about 2500# without brakes a few times for short distances, and it is manageable, but not ideal, and probably not particularly safe.

If you have a back-up camera and experience hitching up trailers, may not be an issue, but I found a lot of truth in, and laughed quite hard at a sign I saw some years ago that said "I'm sorry for what I said while we were hitching up the trailer." :) With a little practice, it's no big deal, but I do recall some stress with my wife the first 5-10 times or so we hitched up.

Good idea renting a trailer to try things out. That will help you be sure that's really what you want to do before investing in an RV of your own. Also gives you a chance to see what you do and don't like about a particular layout, etc.

I tow a 1989 Sunline 21ft 3000# (empty) travel trailer with our 2014 JGC v6. I'm amazed with the power it has for towing. I always turn off the "eco mode" and usually just manually shift with the paddles to keep a little better control over things and keep it from upshifting too much, almost never go above 6th gear. I do have a weight distributing hitch, but do not have a sway control on it. If it was any longer, I would probably want or need it, but the 21ft handles pretty well, though not as nicely as the old 2002 Isuzu Trooper we used to have, I think it is largely due to the softer suspension and such, but I can't prove it. The Jeep scared me when I first started towing with it, but I think I was just so used to the Trooper that any slight movement had me on edge...doesn't seem so bad now, but I would still take the Trooper back for handling if I had the option.

Good luck and enjoy your RVing experience!

Wesley

· Administrator
11,986 Posts
I know there are some brake controllers (maybe just for small trailers?) that are mounted on the tongue of the trailer. Not sure how they get power (trailer mounted battery kept charged by the constant hot line?), but they presumably are reading the brake lights and using an inertial sensor to do the job.
Those are inertial/surge brakes and are hydraulic. There is no brake controller used with them. They work purely by sensing acceleration via a physical weight shift. Nothing optical.

· Registered
2014 JGC
42 Posts
Those are inertial/surge brakes and are hydraulic. There is no brake controller used with them. They work purely by sensing acceleration via a physical weight shift. Nothing optical.
I know the ones you are talking about, but the one I mentioned is electronic. My uncle has one on their Aliner trailer. Not sure if this is the same thing, but same idea at least - Autowbrake

· Registered
89 Posts
I bought our 2015 JGC laredo specifically because of its hauling capacity. The JGC has a higher tow weight than any other 6 cylinder vehicle.

I pull a 4500 lb. toy hauler that I converted to a full camper. ( Murphy bed. cabinets. TV, etc.)

It weighs in at around 5200 now.
It is equipped with a weight distribution hitch, and electonic brakes.

The issue I had was placement of the controller. I really wish jeep would put one into the dash as part of the tow package. I ended up putting it on the lower right side of the dash, right in front of my knee.
Just a little more though about trailering, and they would be one of the leading trailering SUVs out there.

As others have said. Electronic brake control is a must. You do not want the trailer pushing you while you are braking.

One other point. The JGC mirrors are far enough out to provide ok vision along the sides of the trailer. No one made nice looking extensions for the JGC when we started. I did purchase a set of strap on mirrirs, but eventually went with a rear camera on the trailer. Much easier to see whats behind you with the camera.
Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

· Registered
520 Posts
strap on mirrors
Strap-ons simply will not work with the 2022 Jeep. The shape of the mirror does not provide a surface for the straps to hang onto. No matter how tight, they will slip off.

For my first trip I needed to add some 1in nylon webbing wrapped around the neck of the mirror and the straps to secure them. Effective, but clunky. I'll need more time to come up with a more ellegant solution, or some other mirrors that work out of the box.

This was a bit of a last minute surprise before driving off. Ugh.

· Registered
520 Posts
rear camera on the trailer.
Do you use your phone to view the camera? Any advantages while backing in? (Three years in, I still suck at backing in. I habitually understeer the initial turn worrying I'll jackknife, then over correct the small adjustments. I cannot wait for this to become second nature. :) )

· Registered
89 Posts
Strap-ons simply will not work with the 2022 Jeep. The shape of the mirror does not provide a surface for the straps to hang onto. No matter how tight, they will slip off.

For my first trip I needed to add some 1in nylon webbing wrapped around the neck of the mirror and the straps to secure them. Effective, but clunky. I'll need more time to come up with a more ellegant solution, or some other mirrors that work out of the box.

This was a bit of a last minute surprise before driving off. Ugh.
The ones with rubber straps have held on well. Went cross country with them on.

But they are not really needed if your trailer is not wider than the JGC.

I have not looked lately, but don't know why the aftermarket companies have not come out with slip on extenders.

It is things like this and the brake controller that could turn the JGC from a good tow vehicle, into a great tow vehicle.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts