Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
2014 Jeep GC wk2
211 Posts
Thanks to everyone, all great info!
Don't guess, put it on a truckscale. The single most helpful advice I ever got regarding towing.

· Registered
89 Posts
I bought an aftermarket wireless system, it has a suction cup that I mount to the windshield. Nice 7" monitor. It will also allow me to add cameras to it.

Another thing I added was tire pressure monitoring sensors that screw on to the valve stem. These I can use with my phone and the send an alert through the phone if the tire pressure drops. With dual axles I have had a tire go flat and not noticed it in the towing.
Problem is, the tire will, shred and damage the wheel housing on the trailer.

· Registered
2014 JGC
42 Posts
The issue I had was placement of the controller. I really wish jeep would put one into the dash as part of the tow package. I ended up putting it on the lower right side of the dash, right in front of my knee.
I removed the flip up door at the bottom of the console and mounted a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in the lower compartment. Watch out...in another thread here, someone was talking about the airbags mounted down low, not sure if that is where yours is attached or not.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

· Registered
2020 JGC WK2 Overland 5.7L Hemi
47 Posts
I use the Dometic DM 2912 Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors and they’re excellent. They’re adjustable however you want to maneuver them but I mount them to the bottom of the GC mirror with the mirror pointing upwards and they secure really well with the provided fasteners, no tools needed, just make sure they’re tight . They’re long enough to see the lanes past the front of the trailer and they’re a quality product so I have minimal vibration. Also shop around a bit you should find them cheaper than Amazon.

· Registered
520 Posts
I use the Dometic DM 2912 Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors and they’re excellent.
I may try these. My current set, while they hung onto my 2011 Limited's mirror securely, slip off my 2022 Overland's mirror like a wet bar of soap. As I discovered the issue very shortly before pulling out of the driveway w camper attached, I had to jerry rig some nylon straps to retain the mirror via its neck.

I saw the mirrors you posted, but a few of the reviews noted how they fell off while travelling. That was my first concern when I saw the design. Glad to see they work for you! I may take another look.

Edit: One of the Amazon reviews noted they added a tether to the mirrors just in case. Not sure if i'd prefer to simply LOSE one of these ~pricey mirrors than have it dangling by its tether and wrecking the paint on my door... ;)

· Registered
47 Posts
I’ve used these for the past 4 years and have never had one come loose even remotely. I tighten them as tight as they go using the thumb screws and the pads within the connectors work well. I make sure that the connection pad is set in all the way on the bottom ledge of the mirror to ensure full contact. I personally never even thought of installing a tether. I don’t know what the side mirrors on the WL look like but I have mine attached to the bottom portion of the mirrors on my WK2 same as what’s shown in this picture that I found from the Amazon add. Once they’re adjusted to your liking they pretty much stay that way with minimal adjustments necessary when I take them out of the bag for the next time I use them. Let us know how it goes.

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Plant Mirror

· Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
405 Posts
I’ve used these for the past 4 years and have never had one come loose even remotely. I tighten them as tight as they go using the thumb screws and the pads within the connectors work well. I make sure that the connection pad is set in all the way on the bottom ledge of the mirror to ensure full contact. I personally never even thought of installing a tether. I don’t know what the side mirrors on the WL look like but I have mine attached to the bottom portion of the mirrors on my WK2 same as what’s shown in this picture that I found from the Amazon add. Once they’re adjusted to your liking they pretty much stay that way with minimal adjustments necessary when I take them out of the bag for the next time I use them. Let us know how it goes.
How much do these shake or vibrate when driving? I had a set of clip-ons for my Armada that were only really useful to show that there was something in the blind spot, but really useless for showing what was coming up from the rear (say, when deciding whether to pull out into a passing lane without obstructing somebody coming up quickly from behind, or when trying to gauge distance when pulling back in after passing). I honestly only put them on so that I couldn't be stopped for not having anything. I haven't tried these mirrors on the Jeep yet, haven't had a reason to use them.

Here is a link to the ones that I bought and used on the Nissan. https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-3...&sprefix=clip+on+trailer+mirro,aps,492&sr=8-5

Keith

· Registered
520 Posts
Here is a link to the ones that I bought and used on the Nissan. https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-3...&sprefix=clip+on+trailer+mirro,aps,492&sr=8-5
Keith, those are very much like what I have today. Worked fine on my 2011 Limited. The shape of my 2022 Overland's mirror does not secure the rubber straps. They slip right off, like squeezing a wet bar of soap. I needed to add the nylon strap secured around the mirror's neck to retain the straps. Effective but kludgy looking.

If I could lengthen the inboard strap by a few inches, I could secure on the opposite side of the mirror's curved shape.

Hmm, not a bad idea actually. Maybe replace the inboard strap with a longer adjustable nylon strap....

· Registered
812 Posts
This is a good forum for all things related to camping and towing. RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information Yes, there a people who will claim you shouldn't tow any camper without a 3/4 ton truck but most posters provide good advice.

I am considering renting a travel trailer this summer. My Jeep is rated at being able to tow 6200 pounds I believe.
What do I need to do that? It has the hitch//whatever, and both wiring ports, just not the mount and ball.
View attachment 4148633
Is a brake controller "REQUIRED"? If so, at what trailer weight? I have driven towing before, but not my own vehicle, a GMC Envoy towing a race car box trailer, I'm sure was way less than 6000, probably under 4000.
Also, if anyone can provide a good site to teach me about travel trailers in general (hook ups, tanks, day to day stuff...) that would be great as well. I'd love to get a small sailboat with trailer, but that would be very light weight, and I'd never think about it, but a nice bigger travel trailer is a whole other thing.

· Registered
47 Posts
How much do these shake or vibrate when driving?
Its minimal and really depends on the road that you’re on. Driving on the interstate is not noticeable and on other roads it’s not enough that to matter. The best example would be to take a look at this video. It’s a true depiction of it.

I had a set of clip-ons for my Armada that were only really useful to show that there was something in the blind spot, but really useless for showing what was coming up from the rear (say, when deciding whether to pull out into a passing lane without obstructing somebody coming up quickly from behind, or when trying to gauge distance when pulling back in after passing).
Well a lot of this is relative to the size and length of any particular trailer. My trailer is fairly wide at 90” so the mirrors allow me to see down the sides of it and the lanes on both sides to see up coming traffic however I can’t see behind the trailer just due to its mass and being so much wider than my truck. I also have a rear backup camera mounted on the back of the trailer to see anything directly behind me.
When trying to gauge distance when pulling back in that’s something that’s more difficult where mirrors really don’t help unless the trailer is short and skinny. Sometimes I’ll rely on shadows depending on how the sun is shining in conjunction with the rear camera as well as a well used blinker.
I used to use the strap on type for years and didn’t know what I was missing until I found these, best I’ve found yet.

· Registered
2022 WL74 JGC Trailhawk
35 Posts
Thanks OP for posting this; I've learned a lot from reading all the posts in this thread. While the thread died a month before I bought my 22 Trailhawk, we now have the Jeep (since 22 July) and have a travel trailer (22 Jayco Feather Micro 166FBS) we'll be towing with the Jeep. Already have a Weight-Distribution Hitch and Sway Control (on another vehicle we have) that we'll use with the Jeep, so now I'm just trying to figure out the best option for the brake controller. I was leaning, until I'd read through this thread, toward a Tekonsha P3, but another post here (noting possible interference with airbags if mounted in footwell) have me looking again at the Wireless Brake Controller (Bluetooth) option. Planning to spend some time at the RV store this weekend to ask a lot of questions, and to determine where the airbags are located in the footwell area (hoping a call to Jeep or some Google-Fu will help).

· Administrator
11,986 Posts
o now I'm just trying to figure out the best option for the brake controller. I was leaning, until I'd read through this thread, toward a Tekonsha P3, but another post here (noting possible interference with airbags if mounted in footwell) have me looking again at the Wireless Brake Controller (Bluetooth) option. Planning to spend some time at the RV store this weekend to ask a lot of questions, and to determine where the airbags are located in the footwell area (hoping a call to Jeep or some Google-Fu will help).
I'm a fan of the P3, but the ReDarc is getting a lot of good comments on another auto forum I help with as it's a more "hidden" solution, albeit at a higher cost than the P3. The only reason I'd personally consider a wireless controller is if there was a need to move it between vehicles quickly.

Reactions: notoriousbdp

· Registered
2022 WL74 JGC Trailhawk
35 Posts
I'm a fan of the P3, but the ReDarc is getting a lot of good comments on another auto forum I help with as it's a more "hidden" solution, albeit at a higher cost than the P3. The only reason I'd personally consider a wireless controller is if there was a need to move it between vehicles quickly.
Thanks! I’ll look into those. I’ve also subsequently learned that Jeep has a Mopar solution, so I’ll call them tomorrow to find out more.

· Administrator
11,986 Posts
I’ve also subsequently learned that Jeep has a Mopar solution
Historically, it was not, um...anything close...to a P3 or other industry leading brake controller.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
FWIW, on another vehicle forum I read (Volvo stuff) I saw something about a brake controller that mounts to the trailer itself, no underdash wiring. I don't know anything about it, but it was interesting.
It was "Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller "

· Registered
2022 WL74 JGC Trailhawk
35 Posts
Historically, it was not, um...anything close...to a P3 or other industry leading brake controller.
Good to know; I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads-up! I've discovered that the Mopar part (part number 82215652AD, though in my latest call with the dealer service center the part number could be 82215834AB) would make for a clean install in the 12v port of the center console next to the USB ports, but the part is listed on Mopar's site as $310 (the dealership part price is $375 -- for part number 82215834AB!), NOT including installation (they're quoting a ludicrous $400 and change, PLUS $183 to "activate" the system (WTH is that all about?). That is a significantly more than the P3 you mention, so perhaps the less expensive and better product (P3?) would seem to make the most sense. Still working to figure out exactly where the airbags are located so the installation is in a location that does not potentially become a piece of shrapnel/platter charge in a crash!

OF NOTE/CONSIDERATION: I'm not keen to lose the 12v port, so that would be another strike against the Mopar option.

· Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 5.7L Baltic Gray Tupelo/black interior
160 Posts
Thanks all so far, great info!
Also, more info, I am looking to ease my wife into travelling other than via airplane. She cannot stand the possibility of getting stranded on some unknown stretch of highway with no exits for miles, that you cannot get to if something happens. And possibly renting a travel trailer, and going to one of the many nice spots near a lake in central PA is a possibility. I would want to tow something that 90% of people would easily classify as "very nice" to be in for a couple days, nothing "roughing it". A/C, working toilet, shower all a must. I assume I would go somewhere with hook-ups at first, so no need for generator I wouldn't think.
For 2 people, what would be a nice size to be looking into as a way into this type of travel?
I use to tow a 8000 + 5th wheel with a 1 ton dually, I've towed 16" car haulers, dinghies behind motorhomes (wrangler) 16' car hauler hitched to my 28" 5th wheel hitched to my 1 ton dually. I was towing up the hill from Laughlin Nevada to Searchlight on one trip to Washington State. I was seeing out of my left eye something flying by me. I soon discovered that I was shredding a tire on a dual axle 5th wheel 28' toy hauler. I noticed it even more up on 95 heading towards Searchlight and Henderson Nevada. I finally pulled over to see what was going on. I had tandem axles, 1 tire had shredded completely. Got out my big floor jack and proceeded to change the tire. Discount tire in Henderson Nevada gave me a new tire to replace the shredded one. In Idaho another one did the same thing. No matter what, the worst thing to have happen is to be sitting on the side of the road, broke down, unable to fix it because you were unprepared to fix it. And the wife giving you dirty looks. Prepare for the unexpected. Insofar as size we looked at buying a trailer big enough to haul a harley to Sturgis, we ender up getting a custom made toy hauler, 28' we built the interior. We had everything for the comforts of home. We did a Western theme interior. I would always recommend a dual axle trailer, if one tire goes out you still have three remaining. A single axle trailer, not so much. We had a UPS truck wipe us out on the PCH in 2000. Totaled the truck, my first 5th wheel, and the harley was strapped 5 ways to hell in the trailer, it survived. I was sliding down the PCH in my new Ford 3/4 ton Diesel truck on my drivers door at 55 mph. Loved camping, but there are a lot of crazy stupid drivers out there. Don't in my opinion buy the bare minimum, get more than you think you might need. I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...

· Registered
20 Posts
I use the Dometic DM 2912 Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors and they’re excellent. They’re adjustable however you want to maneuver them but I mount them to the bottom of the GC mirror with the mirror pointing upwards and they secure really well with the provided fasteners, no tools needed, just make sure they’re tight . They’re long enough to see the lanes past the front of the trailer and they’re a quality product so I have minimal vibration. Also shop around a bit you should find them cheaper than Amazon.
Are you using these mirrors on a WL? Thanks.

· Registered
20 Posts
I may try these. My current set, while they hung onto my 2011 Limited's mirror securely, slip off my 2022 Overland's mirror like a wet bar of soap. As I discovered the issue very shortly before pulling out of the driveway w camper attached, I had to jerry rig some nylon straps to retain the mirror via its neck.

I saw the mirrors you posted, but a few of the reviews noted how they fell off while travelling. That was my first concern when I saw the design. Glad to see they work for you! I may take another look.

Edit: One of the Amazon reviews noted they added a tether to the mirrors just in case. Not sure if i'd prefer to simply LOSE one of these ~pricey mirrors than have it dangling by its tether and wrecking the paint on my door... ;)
Did you try these (Dometic DM 2912 Milenco Grand Aero 3)? ....and how did they work out? Thanks

41 - 60 of 62 Posts