Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking forward to using CarPlay but I usually use Google Maps from within there, just because that is what I'm used to using. How does this work with the driver screen and HUD? Does it broadcast Google Maps or Maps (whatever you're using) or does it only use Tom Tom? I hope not -

· Administrator
11,977 Posts
CarPlay and Android auto only talk to the head unit. It's not just a Jeep thing...

· Registered
12 Posts
Drove a 2022 Honda CR-V on vacation last week. Android Auto sent turn directions to the main dashboard behind the steering wheel in addition to showing it on the entertainment console display.

My 2022 GC Summit, sadly, does not. Perhaps in a future update?

· Administrator
11,977 Posts
When I had my 2019 5 series, CarPlay would send directions to the HUD in native BMW maps. Pretty cool system!
Yes, what I said shouldn't be seen as an absolute since this is "merely" an engineering issue. Jeep didn't take that step. It's not provided on Subaru, either. Not sure about Toyota or the Korean twins. But it's nice to hear the BMW and Honda have it! Personally, I likely wouldn't even look down at the dash for something like this. the audio direction with CarPlay are more than sufficient for me so I can pay attention to the turn I'm about to miss because I'm going too fast... :D

· Registered
617 Posts
Funny because I never have audio directions on. It’s too interrupting and annoying when listening to the radio or having a conversation. It’s all about the visual to me (other than Waze announcing speed traps, traffic cameras, etc).

· Registered
223 Posts
Curious - are the two mapping systems able to be utilized at the same time? That is, can you have Tom Tom maps providing directions on the driver cluster/HUD while Android Auto is up on the main screen and is utilizing Google Maps (or Apple CarPlay)?

· Administrator
11,977 Posts
Just a small thought here...if this is even possible, the routing displayed by the native vehicle NAV may not match what you are getting from Google Maps or Waze via AndroidAuto (or CarPlay). The online mapping systems are typically better with traffic based rerouting and there could be very noticable differences in the "route of the moment".

· Registered
223 Posts
Just a small thought here...if this is even possible, the routing displayed by the native vehicle NAV may not match what you are getting from Google Maps or Waze via AndroidAuto (or CarPlay). The online mapping systems are typically better with traffic based rerouting and there could be very noticable differences in the "route of the moment".
Yes, understood. More just a curiosity thing as I'm not able to try it on my vehicle yet as I have yet to receive it but it would be nice if the two are able to work at the same time (however, my guess is that the system won't allow both to work simultaneously).

· Registered
17 Posts
Yes, understood. More just a curiosity thing as I'm not able to try it on my vehicle yet as I have yet to receive it but it would be nice if the two are able to work at the same time (however, my guess is that the system won't allow both to work simultaneously).
I currently use CarPlay on my 2 row and I do get turn indications on the HUD and the driver cluster…most of the time. I am using Apple Maps for routing.

· Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm, that's encouraging. Do you do anything special other than just connect your phone to CarPlay?
Nope. Just connect either with cable or wireless. I recently switched to an iPhone 14pro from a galaxy S20. I didn’t get turn info with my android.

It isn’t 100%. Occasionally it disappears and reappears but that might be the wireless connection.

· Registered
617 Posts
When I use the onboard or CarPlay nav, the other one stops routing. I’ve tried checking both in a situation with bad traffic and I was cutting it close. But as I checked one, the other stopped navigating. Going back to the other, I’d have to pick the destination and start again.

· Registered
223 Posts
When I use the onboard or CarPlay nav, the other one stops routing. I’ve tried checking both in a situation with bad traffic and I was cutting it close. But as I checked one, the other stopped navigating. Going back to the other, I’d have to pick the destination and start again.
10-4. Matt, have you had any luck in having CarPlay maps display on your HUD or instrument cluster?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts